Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been doing alot of reading about the Tundra and its counterparts and I have to say I have been thoroughly impressed by what I've seen and heard about the Tundra.

I'm a military contractor working downrange and I'm coming back stateside very soon and put a deposit down on this 2008 5.7L CrewMax Tundra Ltd and after doing some reading here on the site, I was wondering what you all thought on the price, I think the price is pretty fair but just want to get some opinions.

Libertyville Toyota 2008_Toyota_Tundra

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's a lot of cheese for a used truck -

With the 2K off MSRP manufacturer incentive and the Costco program (250 over dealer invoice), I was at 32,500 for a 2010 double cab 4x4 TRD. Mine doesn't have leather and other computer bells and whistles but it was about the same price...

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a lot of cheese for a used truck -

With the 2K off MSRP manufacturer incentive and the Costco program (250 over dealer invoice), I was at 32,500 for a 2010 double cab 4x4 TRD. Mine doesn't have leather and other computer bells and whistles but it was about the same price...

Good luck!!
Thanks for the input, I was looking at Toyota's site and put together that truck as a 2010 verison and new it would run me around 50,000+ I really want the crew max cab, and the DVD Nav. Im gonna try to talk the dealer down to 30,000 on it, but its certified so i still get the the 7 year / 100k miles limited power train warranty and the dealership gives me a 3 month 3000 mile warranty not to mention shortly after buying it ill be doing a nice little road trip so I'll get to see if there are any little bugs and get them worked out within that dealership warranty.

Another question, guys what do you think of the DVD Navigation system? I bought my father a real nice Garmin for christmas last year, do you use the built in DVD Nav if you have it, or have you switched over to Garmins or other types of Nav systems?

·
Registered
112 Posts
True - if you are after DVD Nav and leather and the bells and whistles a new one would be a lot.

Good move on the certified used - altho about the 7yrs / 100k - that's from the date that the vehicle first hit the road - so you'll have about 5 yrs / 70k more left under warranty - which is still great.

Love the color, hope it works out great for you! Oh here's a tip - punch the VIN number in at toyotaowners.com and you can see what dealer-performed maintenance / repairs / warranty work has been done.

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
395 Posts
I can't speak from experience, but others on here don't really care for the factory nav and went aftermarket. I did the same (upgraded to kenwood dnx 8120 from stock radio, not the nav) and it's great.

Unlocking all the features to operate while the vehicle is in motion was easy; not so much if you have the factory nav. Anyone who has the factory system please chime in and tell me if I'm wrong.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are looking for a bit better deal, when you get back, come a bit farther north--Try Wilde Toyota in West Allis WI, or is you are solely in the used market, check out Lenz Auto in Fond Du Lac, WI. At a minimum I would use them to compare prices.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Nice truck! The price is not unreasonable, but like you said, I would try to talk them down to $30k.
I have always been successful at negotiating a lower price than was first quoted. Nothing to lose
by trying, and the other $3k could pay for taxes, tag, etc. Good luck and hope you get the truck,
I love mine.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The stock Nav is fine. If you don't want to mess around with picking out and installing an aftermarket like me, it does the job just fine. There's voice controls for the phone and the bluetooth works great.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Looks like a nice truck (Great Color ;) ) I think the price is pretty close for everything that comes with it, but sure... try to talk it down!

One important thing to consider: Find out exactly what comes with the "certified" 7/100k warranty. Toyota's Platinum warranty is the best one to have, so if you check out the warranty coverage & you find some things that are not covered, have them throw in the Platinum warranty instead of the used. (you can get a Platinum warranty anytime before 3yrs/36000 miles).

Here's a link to the certified used warranty: Warranty.

Especially important, make sure the used warranty covers the AIP (air induction pump)... SOME members are having issues and the cost is upwards of $4000 if your warranty doesn't cover or is expired.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I bargained down the price of a new CM limited to around 39 k before deciding to buy a CM TRD off road for about 7K less. In my opinion, with all the incentives, it makes more sense to go for a new truck. Navigation/back up monitor is nice, but much more expensive than an after-market one. Moreover, I don't think you can turn this thing off.

One thing I didn't like on the limited is tire/wheel. With 20 inch wheel, the sidewall on the limited is much smaller than the ones on TRD. This makes the tires/wheel more vulnerable to damages from road-imperfections, I think.

·
Registered
916 Posts
One other thing to think about with a factory navigation system is upgrading the maps. I remember people saying it was in the hundreds of dollars to upgrade every couple years. My personal theory is that I can get a decent aftermarket GPS system for WAY less then the navigation. I can upgrade the GPS for much cheaper, and I can take it out of my truck and put it in the wife's car when we drive that.

Also I will encourage you to make sure it is a good warranty on the truck. I love my Tundra and I think it was a better truck for a better price than I can get from the Big 3, but it isn't perfect. I bought a 8 year/75K platinum warranty on mine. Its better safe than sorry, especially on a used truck!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input! Im heading to the dealership this morning to see the truck and I'll let you guys know what I do, If I do purchase it, I have already talked to some people here about getting either some Pioneer or Kenwood DVD/Nav and such systems installed so I will be going aftermarket more than likely.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Turns out the Tundra was fully loaded with the dvd system in the back and everything! The dealership didn't even mention the moonroof or the dvd player in the back let alone half the options.

So now im the proud owner of my first Tundra, at first it felt quite large and bulky but now after driving it most of the day im used to its size, and it doesnt seem much different than any other vehicle i've driven.

and as far as warranties go because it had such low mileage I dropped the certified package and added the 7 year 100k warranty so I have 5 years left on that for up to 100k platinum so everything's fully covered, which is good because after I got it home I found out the rear speakers and subs aren't working at all...

Oh well, gonna take it in soon to have that looked at, btw with the gas pedal, is it normal to have a bit of give in it before the power kicks in, it doesn't seem smooth, It seems more like i've got a dead-zone then the engine kicks in about a quarter of the way down to the floor.

Thanks guys!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
^^^ Congrats! Let's see some pics!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hehe, coming soon! I've been busy driving her around all day enjoying the smooth ride, I'll take some pics tomorrow and put them up soon as I can.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here you go as promised, Pics of the new truck, gonna have the Yakima rack system soon, some step boards, my mother can't get in the truck by herself :angrywife: :beatsme:, a hood protector and some clip on vents for the windows as well as a bed extender. I'll post some more pics when I get those and have them installed.

Attachments

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Nice! Let the mods begin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts