Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
The only problem is, only a fraction of a percent of the drivers out there will even think about testing the full capabilities of any of these cars that we're discussing.

So the debate is a moot point.

Exactly, you need to have a stretch of road nearby that you can take these cars to their limits on too. Not too many Autobahns in America. Otherwise it's kind of like being a priest who is hung like John Holmes.

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
Did this post without googling and from memory.

I had a 911 (really 993) 1997 C4S and a 1998 C4S (both were all wheel drive). The 1998 was last year for old air cooled oil burners. The 97 had a mild Ruf Conversion ... that bumped the non turbo 292HP up to 368 HP. Back then, the turbos were about 400 HP and the turbo S with European Chip was in the 420 HP range.

Driving that 97 Ruf non turbo with that power and no lag and was like driving a super go kart or a slot car.

SOS

PS ... love the engine whine and gurgling exhaust sound of those old flat 6s.
I have driven many a Porsche and my dream car is a 993 turbo in Arena red with tan interior.....
It is interesting that the 993's are going for more than 997's.....
There is even a 1973 911rs on ebay.... at 175k

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have driven many a Porsche and my dream car is a 993 turbo in Arena red with tan interior.....
It is interesting that the 993's are going for more than 997's.....
There is even a 1973 911rs on ebay.... at 175k
I have driven the old 993 turbos too and they are a blast. No, not as fast as some of the newer super cars, but they are just plain fast & fun to drive.

The red - tan combo is a very classic look. My 1997 was this weird super white with the super white Z-headlights (first year for the Z-s I think). It looked good from outside, but it had really bland, medium blue, el-cheapo looking interior.

Kept that car a little over a year, put 4,000 miles on it and sold it for same price that I paid for it new.

Then did the same with a 1998, the last year before the big change to the water cooled 996.

Loved the "wide rear ends" on the Turbos & C4Ss.

Those cars were rarely (if ever) even in the rain ... lol ... never again will I be that OCD on cars though. ... :D

SOS

PS ... You can still get a street driven 993 (daily driver) at a good price ... but the showroom looking "super cherries" are very expensive now.

PPS .. Tried to give you points ... but couldn't ... :confused:

·
Registered
468 Posts
You could build a copy of the original super car like a buddy of mine did: Mark 5 Cobra kit car with a stroker 347. He is running AFR heads and the quad Weber setup netting him 402hp to the wheels with only around 2200 lbs to push around. Turns heads like I have never seen and sounds as serious as it looks. He has around 30K in the car so it is hard to beat in the bang for the buck catagory.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You could build a copy of the original super car like a buddy of mine did: Mark 5 Cobra kit car with a stroker 347. He is running AFR heads and the quad Weber setup netting him 402hp to the wheels with only around 2200 lbs to push around. Turns heads like I have never seen and sounds as serious as it looks. He has around 30K in the car so it is hard to beat in the bang for the buck catagory.

You really hit a soft spot in my heart. I am not a Ford fan but the 427 side oiler Cobra is my favorite of all cars.

A few years back I did a lot of research on the kit cars and some were actually very good for continued street use.

It is hard to build one with an aluminum body for 30k ... but some of the glass bodies are first class now.

There was a place in a suburb of Atlanta called Kennesaw, GA and it had a cool Cobra restoration shop (originals there).

I have driven 3 different cobra kit cars and the kits were as different as A & Z.

One of the cobras was painted with a Ferrari silver factory paint and it looked like liquid mercury paint.

If I ever got one ... it would be from someone who built it, then the newness wore off, and they wanted to sell it.

My wife wants to do an early retirement or I would get one in a flash.

SOS

PS ... I have done several "project cars" and I will never do another one. I was too picky and spent too much time and money on each of them.

If I did the ability to do more of the mechanical work and body work .. it would be more fun and cheaper too.

I would work in some of those "Southern CA Car Shops" (ie.. Coddington, Foose, etc.) for free ... just to get the experience and see those cars. ... :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
I plan on building a Cobra kit car myself as well one day. I helps that I got to see my buddy put his together. He works at a high end body shop so getting the fiberglass body prepped and painted was a little easier. He said there is a whole lot of hours in prepping that body...All I can say is the paint and body look fantastic, even up close. Something to be said about building one yourself as well. You know every nut and bolt so to speak plus you get that pride in the finished product. Riding in the car is a windy, noisy, exhilarating experience that puts a big grin on your face when those Webers open up! Here is a better pic of the engine:

Attachments

41 - 46 of 46 Posts