Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been on the fence about this and thought I would get some thoughts from other owners. I have a friend interested in purchasing my 08 SR5 Crewmax for a fair price for both of us and I'm eying up a 2010 Rock Warrior D-cab. It would cost me about 4k out of pocket with rebates to switch trucks. Here are my considerations -

My current Crewmax is 2 yrs old but only has 13.5K miles on it. It has katzkin leather seats, navi, sonar, moonroof, tonneau, drop in bedliner, the 5.7, with 4x4. It is in excellent shape but just because I'm anal about it I would probably put new tires on it this winter.

The Rock Warrior TRD is pretty much just the standard rock warrior package in d-cab 4x4 with the 5.7 also. No real bells and whistles. 2 years newer and 0 miles. Has the rock warrior wheels and BFGs and the color matched bumpers are a nice touch.

I'm largely indifferent on the looks of the trucks and the fold up seat on the d-cab and a extra foot on the best would be great. But I give up a number of the shinny toys in exchange...

I know this is something i have to decide but just wanted to see what you guys would do...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
From what you wrote it really doesn't sound like there is a reason to do it. Am I missing something?? You would be losing options and paying more money for a truck that you are indifferent about. I say keep your truck.

Edit: You could also use the extra money to buy a trailor to haul those shiny toys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Keep the 08, take the $4,000 and put it in the supercharger :devil:

Ditto. OF course, if you are opposed to the supercharger, then it is a mute point. But the new model is most likely a flex-fuel, which can be supercharged, but voids the warranty due to the required reflash of the ecm. Other considerations (since I have a crewmax): Do you want to tow a 5th wheel? Can't do it without a very spendy hitch with a crewmax, but the foot longer bed in the dcab makes 5th wheel towing realistic. IF you're seriously considering the swap, you might want to wait till Sept.to buy since the '011 models won't be flex-fuel. My 6'3" sons are moving on to college, so I kinda wish I could get the dcab for the longer bed, but I think the cmax looks better, imho. I'd not even consider a flex-fuel Tundra, myself. Have heard reports of decreased mileage with them, and I hope to have supercharger on mine one of these days. As your first reply stated, it appears that wihtout a very clear reason to gain from the swap, you might as well keep the truck you've tailored to your own taste. Good luck

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Keep the 08, take the $4,000 and put it in the supercharger :devil:
:tu: --- Or keep the truck, and use the $$$ to buy ME the supercharger?! I'll repay you with a High-5 & a big thanks! :highfive:

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
But seriously, if you're wanting the RW rims, you can usually find someone selling them for $1500'ish complete with tires... And if you want color matched bumpers, you can most likely have a paint-shop do it for less than $500 for the pair.

Sounds like what you have currently is a keeper, unless you just get bored easily & want a new truck just for the hell of it

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't forget Sparks has the RW stickers.:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
keep the cm. use the money for more add on's or if you have to get the RE wheels. not my fav wheel but to each their own. sure wouldnt trade a nicely equipped truck for some wheels.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
keep the cm. use the money for more add on's or if you have to get the RE wheels. not my fav wheel but to each their own. sure wouldnt trade a nicely equipped truck for some wheels.
I'm with you on the rock warrior wheels, they are too small or something. They just don't look right.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would say keep your CM unless you really need the extra bed space. 13.5K miles is barely broken it, so that should not even be part of your dilema. Or you can have your buddy buy the RW and swap trucks now and then!! ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
200 for a bed expender plus 10 bucks for some tie-downs= approx. 6.5 foot crewmax bed. I'd spend that before I'd spend 4k to get into a lesser optioned truck.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Keep the Max you will miss it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Keep the CM. You can get the 2010 look by installing 2010 color keyed grill or platinum grill and buying whatever wheel and tire you want for less than 4K. Of course the smell of a new truck is priceless.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm with you on the rock warrior wheels, they are too small or something. They just don't look right.
true dat. all that money for 17's, im mean holy odd size batman. no disrespect but it almost says my 18" steel wheels/tires should be an upgrade size lol.

like jeep using a 31" all terrain tire as their "rubicon package" upgrade

fail

survey says - Crewmax

1 - 16 of 16 Posts