Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows what this "plug" is on top of the throttle body of a Tundra 06 double cab 4WD? it's been leaking a bit of coolant and I'd like to know if there is an "O" ring in there, the water bypass hose it's connected just to the right of it on the TB's side (out of sight). I cleaned up the coolant build up on top so that I could take a clean picture of it; the hose right above it carries no fluid, as it is the EVAP vent. Thanks in advance. View attachment 151590

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is my experience with that plug leaking / weeping. I should add that there is no o ring under the plug it is just pressed in. The hole was used to machine the coolant passage then plugged.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is my experience with that plug leaking / weeping. I should add that there is no o ring under the plug it is just pressed in. The hole was used to machine the coolant passage then plugged.

Hello Toyaddict, thanks for the fast response, just so that I understand you correctly before I fix this. So the plug does not have any threads at all, you tapped it for 3/8" threads and install a plug? If so, sounds like a smart thing to do, was thinking perhaps some toyota thread adhesive then install. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Toyaddict, thanks for the fast response, just so that I understand you correctly before I fix this. So the plug does not have any threads at all, you tapped it for 3/8" threads and install a plug? If so, sounds like a smart thing to do, was thinking perhaps some toyota thread adhesive then install. Thanks again!!
Correct, drilled and tapped for a 3/8" aluminum pipe plug.

Wicking loctite applied with a warm engine is something I also tried. My theory was it would be drawn in as the engine cooled. I only put a few hundred miles on after but it did seem to work. However the thought of the plug flying out was enough to make install the pipe plug. My local machine shop was reluctant to try welding it so I didn't explore that avenue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct, drilled and tapped for a 3/8" aluminum pipe plug.

Wicking loctite applied with a warm engine is something I also tried. My theory was it would be drawn in as the engine cooled. I only put a few hundred miles on after but it did seem to work. However the thought of the plug flying out was enough to make install the pipe plug. My local machine shop was reluctant to try welding it so I didn't explore that avenue.
Thanks for the clarification, I thought of welding as well but I think the risk would be greater of ruining the TB going that route. So I believe your FIX is the safest way to go, I am not really sure how much pressure develops on that part but I'd imagine it isn't that great, and the screw on type of plug seems like the best and safest solution, I will do it that way and if something doesn't work I'll post it here. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts