Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else routinely feel hesitations to the throttle? It's like when you try to give it just a little more gas and nothing happens except engine revs, you can feel the engine rev more, but it's like it's stuck in too high of a gear, doesn't downshift quick enough in response to giving it more gas. I've driven sticks all my life, is this just the way autos are? I'm really frustrated with it. Feels like I'm sucking gas for no reason/results.

If I punch it, it responds, but give a little gas and it seems to just spin a bit, or when trying to go from a stop and trying to keep the rpms down below 2K.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
when trying to go from a stop and trying to keep the rpms down below 2K.
I think what you're trying to describe is the nature of the torque converter in an A/T vehicle.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how it's supposed to work, or this is the torque converter problem I've heard about?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Likely nothing wrong, just the quirkiness of the 6 spd auto. Mine occasionally will shift indecisively, especially when it's confused about my bipolar driving style :devil:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And to think I was happy about not having a stick anymore, now I'm kinda of missing it, and I still drive with one hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2010 does the same thing, high RPMs but the truck won't go any faster. I only notice this though when the engine is cold...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drove mine up into the mountains last weekend, 32 degrees. Didn't notice any difference.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
My 2010 does the same thing, high RPMs but the truck won't go any faster. I only notice this though when the engine is cold...
That doesn't sound normal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
mine does it, especially going downhill right away in the morning after starting it...torque converter + cold tranny fluid + ultra low first gear / rear end is my analysis...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it doesn't use first gear much unless you stomp on it from a start or doing some serious hill climbing.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I agree that this is a transmission shifting issue. It's in gear but just to low of a gear to make the truck move. It's like it gets hung in the lower gear like "tow haul mode" is on. It does that to me every morning I go to work and go down a rather steep hill, it doesn't coast, it downshifts to maintain speed. It is quirky!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually I think it's the opposite, sticks in too high of a gear, I think it's set up to get the best gas mileage so it favors higher gears which are fine when you are cruising, but it needs to drop when you add gas until you settle out on a speed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep, same here on my 2010. Notice it most from a dead stop. I feel the downshift going downhill as well. That does not bother me. Played with mine a little by manually shifting it and that seemed better. Don't really want to do that, so I don't. Regardless, it does not dampen my enthusiasm for this truck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I read somewhere thant when cold the trans will delay shifting to a higher gear to better warm up the engine. I notice this in the morning, but I got used to it.

Shifting also seems to be better in S mode.

-Dave

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yep, my Owner's Manual explained about shifting differences between 'D' and 'S' and the automatic downshifting when in D going down a hill tapping the brake.. The carmakers have had to make the downshifting feature for engine braking automatic, because people won't touch their shifters except for P-D and R.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts