Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership wants to do a throttlebody cleaning on my 2008 Tundra 5.7. I have 52k miles and it runs great. Do I need to spend the $160? Is there a fuel additive that will clean it for less?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Shouldn't need to be cleaned and isn't recommended - most throttle bodies nowadays have a coating on the throttle plate to prevent buildup. If you use solvent based cleaners on them, you will ruin the coating.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 2000 Tundra had 98,000 miles on it when I took it to my local mechanic for an oil change. It was running pretty rough, idling low. After he drove it he suggested a throttle body cleaning, I went for it and it ran sooooo much better, was impressive. The before and after was as extreme as could be, made a huge difference.

But since yours is already running great, I too would skip it for now, especially for 160 bucks, that's ridiculous.

·
Banned
444 Posts
For $160 I would pick up a can of Choke and carb cleaner and bottle of MAF Sensor cleaner and do it for $10 my self. Its very easy.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Shouldn't need to be cleaned and isn't recommended - most throttle bodies nowadays have a coating on the throttle plate to prevent buildup. If you use solvent based cleaners on them, you will ruin the coating.
If they now have these special coatings, why does the stealership still want to clean it? I doubt they would use a special cleaner that wouldn't ruin the coating.

·
Registered
37 Posts
3M has a throttle body cleaner that we use, it doesn't hurt the throttle plates.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I've seen some of the first gen Tundras with really crusty throttle plates which does cause a rough idle and sometimes stalling. I've used the 3M spray before and think it's one of the better products since it's not as aggressive, but it does deteriorate the coating to some degree. Best thing to do is use a dry cotton rag and just clean the edges of the plate and the immediate area of the bore where the plate sits against. I recommend only doing this if it's absolutely necessary i.e. if there's an idle problem. I haven't seen any dirty TBs on 5.7s yet, but most of them don't have enough miles to need cleaning.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
If they now have these special coatings, why does the stealership still want to clean it? I doubt they would use a special cleaner that wouldn't ruin the coating.
They want your money and likely all they would really do is pull off the intake, look inside and say "yup it's clean". Most people wouldn't even notice a difference due to the ECM making constant adjustments to compensate for a contaminated throttle plate/bore.

It's also the same reason why they recommend flushing your engine coolant before you hit the 120k mark - it's all about the benjamins. Maintenance is easy money for dealerships, that's why they suggest it even if it's not necessary.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Genuine Toyota Throttle Plate Cleaner, part# 00289-1TP00. The label on the aerosol can says: "Toyota throttle plate cleaner is specially formulated to remove power robbing deposits that form on the interior walls of a throttle body and the throttle plate. Designed to be oxygen sensor and catalytic converter safe.

Directions say: "spray the interior walls of the throttle body, and both sides of the throttle plate. Wipe surfaces with a clean, dry cloth. Do not spray on painted surfaces or sensitive plastics."

Can says: DANGER-POISON: Contains acetone, methanol, petroleum distillates and toluene. Extremely flammable.

·
Registered
710 Posts
There was a time not too long ago when you could feel the throttle plate "sticking" through the cable, and you knew it needed cleaning. I didn't know about these new coatings, so that's good to learn.

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
I clean mine every 30k miles. Plenty of black came off and it was just like cleaning my 2000 Tundra. If it's black, clean it. TB Cleaner from Toyota is good stuff. I usually spray the rag vs. the TB itself and wipe down. Shop Towels paper towels (blue ones) are really good for this task.

I wouldn't pay $160 to have it done for me though. It's too easy of a project and it gets you out of the house, away from the computer and workin on the tan!

Reactions: sg1efc

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Genuine Toyota Throttle Plate Cleaner, part# 00289-1TP00. The label on the aerosol can says: "Toyota throttle plate cleaner is specially formulated to remove power robbing deposits that form on the interior walls of a throttle body and the throttle plate. Designed to be oxygen sensor and catalytic converter safe.

Directions say: "spray the interior walls of the throttle body, and both sides of the throttle plate. Wipe surfaces with a clean, dry cloth. Do not spray on painted surfaces or sensitive plastics."

Can says: DANGER-POISON: Contains acetone, methanol, petroleum distillates and toluene. Extremely flammable.
That stuff is no different than regular old carb cleaner. I still wouldn't use it on a Tundra TB unless it's absolutely necessary. Our engine uses silicone intake o-ring seals and those solvents will soften them, so if you do use that stuff I'd recommend doing so sparingly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That stuff is no different than regular old carb cleaner.
I'm not aware of any over-the-counter carb or throttle body cleaner that has the same mix of ingredients as the Toyota brand. Example: the can of Gumout Carb cleaner I have says it contains: acetone, xylene, methyl-ethyl ketone, petroleum distillates and propane, vs the Toyota brand contains: acetone, methanol, petroleum distillates and toluene.

The directions on the Toyota brand do not advise spraying into the intake, so I don't see how the intake silicone 0-ring seals could be significantly exposed to the cleaner. The directions advise spraying the "the interior walls of the throttle body, and both sides of the throttle plate". I personally use a toothbrush soaked in the cleaner and then scrub these surfaces clean followed by wiping with a microfiber towel. This keeps cleaner out of the intake.

I agree with you that it is unlikely that a 2007 on up Tundra throttle plate would get very dirty until the vehicle had accumulated alot of miles - perhaps 60,000 miles or so. On the older Toyotas the plate could benefit from cleaning every 30,000 - 50,000 miles or so to maintain top power, fuel economy and low tailpipe emissions.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used to just use a damp rag on my 99 Taco. Seemed to work just fine with no weird chemicals or solvents..

-Dave

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Just use a clean low lint type rag and wipe the TB and plate off.
With regular use of Lucas "all my TB's" stay much cleaner much longer.

Tell the stealership to hang it where the sun dont shine :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Do not use break cleaner or carb cleaner!!! those are formulated different and will cause problems! do not spray fluid into throttle body while it is installed on vehicle. That will cause problems as some people spray it in like its a fire hose then the cylinders lock up from all the liquid. Use only throttle body cleaner designed for that purpose. Spray a rag and wipe. No need to flood the stuff in. Spray a rag and wipe. If it is tougfher than normal spray some fluid in a container of some sort and use and old toothe brush to get the hard stuff off. Carefull though sometimes the toothbrush handle with soften and break off inside. Spray a rag and wipe. 30k is a great interval for this minor service. every one has an opinion on this and it is their right but throttle plates and such get a build up of stuff from normal use. mostly the back side of the plates get really bad. fuel vapors, combustion vapors, oil vapors all combine to create the film and will cause issues if neglected. sticky throttle plates, irratic idle, rough idle, poor response, etc. remember spray on a rag of some sort and wipe never spray direclty into engine. Unless it is on a bench the flood but blow out the shaft seals with compressed air.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts