Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a thumping noise in the drivers side floorboard of my 2004 Sequoia (64,000 miles). Noise is worse when going over bumps and you can really feel it in your feet. I have taken it to 2 mechanics and first one said it was a bad strut/shock mount and wanted $650 to replace front mounts. I was not convinced. Second one said it was worn out steering rack bushings which I let him replace and noise/thump is still there. I am going to let him replace the sway bar bushings next to see if that works. Just checking to see if anyone has had similar issues and what caused it? Vehicle is not driven hard...mostly on paved road/city driving and I live in the West so no rust/salt/corrosion issues. I have had the ball joints replaced under recall. I will take it to a dealer as a last resort but really don't want to pay shop rates just so they can try and diagnose and still not fix problem. Thanks in advance for any replies. :ts:
UPDATE: I replaced both D bushings on the sway bar and the cushions/rubber bushings on the end link that attaches to the sway bar and noise is still there. Certainly someone out there has had this same problem. I am sort of at my wits end and am getting ready to take it to the Dealer. I might try replacing the strut mount on this drivers side first just to rule it out as a possible cause. Still looking for HELP!!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think I have had the same thing. I was thinking it was the exhaust pipe or cat converter since they move a bit on their mounts. If I figure it out I will post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had some similar noise on the front passenger side. Small. when I hit some irregularity on the road. So far, I can't find out what it is. recently did a 3" leveling kit with a diff. drop. But all those parts are nice and tight. LMK. if you guys fig. out what it is.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same problem. Replaced the steering rack bushings, shocks/struts, installed Wheelers Off-Road swaybar kit with heavy duty links and the noise is still there. Drives me crazy, but no one can figure out what it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you checked the engine mounts? I had that problem on two different Lexus SC400's I owned a while back and the symptoms were EXACTLY the same...Whenever I went over bumps I would hear it and feel it. We all thought it was a suspension related issue but everything was tight. The tech only found it by shear luck...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jeremy. I will have mechanic check the motor mounts. Both Mechanics have said that it is not a saftey issue but it sure does bug me! Not sure how they know it is not a saftey concern if they don't know what it is? Thanks again and I will post solution or progress as they become available.

·
Registered
64 Posts
OK, this is a shot in the dark...I had a old Explorer with this problem and it was due to bad radial arm bushings. It's a different suspension setup, but I think the Seq. has something similar.

The radial arm goes from the back of the Lower Control Arm a couple feet and mounts to the frame so if you hit something hard from the front the LCA doesn't break off. There was a rubber bushing on the Explorer where the radial arm meets the frame right under the driver that looked good but was blown out on one side. You couldn't see the damage till the bushing was off. Replaced both sides and the thump went away.

Don''t know if this is for sure the same since I can't look under my Seq right now, but if my memory is working (risky trusting it) it should b similar.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Totally different suspension set-up...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts