Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Tundra into the dealership yesterday because of aticking sound so0ming from the left valve train. Within the hour I had 3 or 4 techs looling at it including the service manager. Needless to say it had to stay over night as they don't want a total melt down to happen. I was very immpressed over their concern & even gave me a loaner until mine is fixed.
Has anyone else had this problem, it sounds like a collapsed lifter [ even though there aren't any lifters] really loud.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: ''Ticking sound in Motor"

I hope it's nothing serious:confused: This is to early for problems with the motor. I'm assuming it's the 5.7L? Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Cheers

·
Registered
595 Posts
Has anyone else had this problem, it sounds like a collapsed lifter [ even though there aren't any lifters] really loud.
There are hydraulic lifters in the 5.7. They call them lash adjusters.

VALVE MECHANISM
1. General

Each cylinder of this engine has 2 intake valves and 2 exhaust valves. Intake and exhaust efficiency is
increased due to the larger total port areas.

This engine uses roller rocker arms with built-in needle bearings. This reduces the friction that occurs
between the cams and the rocker arms that push the valves down, thus improving fuel economy.

Hydraulic lash adjusters, which maintain a constant zero valve clearance through the use of oil pressure
and spring force, are used.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to service manager tonight, he said some one from Toyota's main office in Calgary here wants to come & listen & if it is a lah adjuster it will be a few days away. They will let me know more tomorrow once the valve cover comes off.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Cool that it seems like toyota High UPs really want to hear about any and all weird motor/tranny issues. Thats Toyota for ya----bet the farm no ford/chevy would give a rats butt

·
Registered
848 Posts
Cool that it seems like toyota High UPs really want to hear about any and all weird motor/tranny issues. Thats Toyota for ya----bet the farm no ford/chevy would give a rats butt

of course they do .... they want to catch the problems now and fix them before it becomes a giant problem its a proactive approach that i like about toyota

·
Registered
435 Posts
It sounds like your problem may be another issue, and one that definitely needs attention...but I think a lot of new Tundra owners are hearing things that should not concern them the least. When you have been driving a vehicle with a smaller engine that operates with a timing belt (and that's probably the majority of us) you need to realize that the 'new' Tundra, especially the one with the 5.7 engine, is equipped with a larger and therefore louder engine. Add to that, the fact that this engine operates not just on a timing chain, but TWO timing chains. Timing chains give an engine a distinctive sound. If you listen closely you can hear those chains, but it's completely normal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ya I hear the ticking noise also especially when I open the garage and start the truck to warm up ..When walking through my garage entry from the house all I hear is ticking... I had 06 tundra did the same thing, 05 Tacoma did the same thing..Im just gonna run it, if it were to get out of hand tho I would not hesitate to bring the truck back. I dunno your seems to be a problem and happy for you that u caught on to it They have always been on top of there product. Good luck hope all works out for you and your happy.
Hoss

·
Registered
595 Posts
It sounds like your problem may be another issue, and one that definitely needs attention...but I think a lot of new Tundra owners are hearing things that should not concern them the least. When you have been driving a vehicle with a smaller engine that operates with a timing belt (and that's probably the majority of us) you need to realize that the 'new' Tundra, especially the one with the 5.7 engine, is equipped with a larger and therefore louder engine. Add to that, the fact that this engine operates not just on a timing chain, but TWO timing chains. Timing chains give an engine a distinctive sound. If you listen closely you can hear those chains, but it's completely normal.
Food for thought. Not all people came from a Toyota product. Some have been driving big V8 engines with a timing chain for years. To my ears timing chains make a whiring type sound, not a ticking, clicking or clacking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 03 Tundra ticks a little when it first starts (kinda like a sewing machine) but after it warms up, the sound goes away. I remember hearing that this was normal for engines with variable valve timing or something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Um, a knocking/ticking noise on cold starts that disappears when the engine heats up?

Sounds like piston slap to me. Certainly more likely than a lazy lifter on a brand new engine.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
there are many scenerios that can make that sound, the least of which is piston slap.
mine made the noise when i first got it, and now it doesnt. i guess my pistons grew just a bit or the block shrank. good thing for this crazy new england climate!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, let's hear them. What is this cold start knocking that disappears when the engine gets up to temp? As for your truck, did the knock disappear as weather got warmer?

Oil filter? Then why are so many making the cold start knock? Surely Toyota filters feature an anti-drainback valve? Cam phasers would make the noise all the time. Piston slap is the most likely culprit and is common in newer engine with lightweight pistons with small skirts.

If the Tundra really uses forged pistons then piston slap is even more likely as their clearances are less stable than hypereutectics.

There are piston slapping Fords and Chevys with over 200,000 miles on them. A mild piston slap does not degrade engine life.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Ok, let's hear them. What is this cold start knocking that disappears when the engine gets up to temp? As for your truck, did the knock disappear as weather got warmer?

Oil filter? Then why are so many making the cold start knock? Surely Toyota filters feature an anti-drainback valve? Cam phasers would make the noise all the time. Piston slap is the most likely culprit and is common in newer engine with lightweight pistons with small skirts.

If the Tundra really uses forged pistons then piston slap is even more likely as their clearances are less stable than hypereutectics.
The knock disappeared after i did my first oil change

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok So I got a call from Toyota Canada saying they want to take the truck off the road right now saying this is the first time they have had this lifter/ lash adjuster problem & they want to give me a complete new motor, which is on its way from the U.S.. Thay want the old motor back so they can completly rip it down to find out what caused this noise. At first I told them it's only a small problem but they said this is how Toyota goes about fixing new problems. They have since given me a new dc ltd to drive in the mean time & I am negotiating with them to also give me a full extended warrenty. I figure if they stand behind their veichles like they say than a full warrenty should be in order.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts