Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Let me know how they work out. I've been searching for something that will fit my 06 DC.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Bull Accessories
If you go to the mfg site, it states that the 9001 model is for 2007 and newer.

9001 BULL RING
Black Retractable
• Fits 2007 & 2008 Tundra
• Regular & Double Cab
• Matches Factory Rail Cap
• No Drilling Required
• Installs in seconds

Hope you are right though, I've been looking for a good set of tiedowns for years. I finally bought the clamp on type.
http://www.realtruck.com/bully_tie_downs_clamp_on/R14853P1C1T.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've seen these in the local auto parts store. The ones that I saw looked like they would fit...I thought the pockets were universal. I take mearsurements next time. Let us know if the ones that you ordered work.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well they came in today.

single
I hope they're wrong, but I understand what you're saying.

The retailer's site says "Fits the Tundra Regular Cab, Access Cab and Double Cab
including the new 2007-Current Body Style"

Now this, to me, says the DC in all years. Gonna piss me off if they got it wrong. I will know tomorrow, when it's light.

I didn't think to check the mfg's web site. I shouldn't HAVE to.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, here's the prognosis. They will work, but it will take a little "engineering". Tomorrow, I will install them and take pics. I'll post the pics and give a detailed how to. At this point I'm 99% certain they will work.

What prevents them, at least on my truck, is the guide for the rail posts. The outside of the guide doesn't allow the "lip" of the tie down to get under it.

Tomorrow, I'll take and post pics, and show my proposed fix. There will be a solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is one type from Lowes.
lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=120545-76354-29910008&lpage=none]Better Built at Lowe's: Stainless Stake Pocket Pop-Up[/url]

It is rather heavy duty and retracts when not needed. I never bought these for my 06 tundra as I don't need them. A friend of mine has them on his f350. Looks like it would work even though you might need to trim the plastic rail cap to open it up a little bit.

Check it out and see what you think.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Short answer, is they definately do work. Mine are installed. Took about 5-10 min per corner. Well worth the effort. in my opinion.

I will post a complete write-up tonight with pics.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Glad to here it. I'll be getting me a set too!

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK the promised pics and story. Hope I explain it clear enough for ya'all.

First the product!

Note the package EXCLUDES the 2000-2006 Double Cab. We'll see about that.

Next, the challenge. Below is a pic of the post hole guide that gets in the way. The first pic is of the OUTSIDE part of the guide. This is the part that gets in the way of the tie down, and needs to be "re-engineered". The guide lines up directly underneath the lip of the bed rail that the tie down needs to hook under. I need to move the guide back far enough for the tie down to hook on the lip.

This is of the inside part of the guide, and it is well clear. No mods necessary there.

Now I put the screwdriver at the first point to be re-engineered (bent). As you will see, I used three different points and with the screwdriver pictured, and a 3lb hammer it was easy. In fact, be careful not to over engineer it.:)

This pic is POST engineering! It now clears the bed rail by about 3/16 to 1/4".

This looks like it is still under the bed lip, but it actually clears it. This guide metal is fairly soft, thankfully.

Next, you can see (I hope) the tie down with the black lip underneath the lip of the truck bed.

Here is the tie down installed. One thing I noticed, is it does not fit on top (at least on mine) of the plastic bed cap, so I installed it under.

I was just going to remove it (the plastic bed cap) altogether, and have the spray on bedliner that I already have, sprayed on the top as well. Unfortunately, I found there are about 20 holes in the top of the bed rail to accomodate this plastic cap, sooooo back on it went. Piss poor way to install the cap, I think. Weakens the bed rail.

The front of the bed cap was close enough to the bed rail to sit the tie dows on top, but I put them under it as well, to look consistant. My preferance is still to remove the whole thing.

The last pic is just to show the slight recess it sits in.

There, I hope this helps all the other DC owners sitt'n on the fence for tie downs.

Oh yes, one more thing. They list the capacity of the tie down at 1000lbs. Personally, Id be surprised if the bed rails could take half that, but they will still make it more versatile.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am used to them, they are OK. I would prefer ones that say flush with the top metal of the truck, not 1/2" above them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Man thanks for that informative post....Been wanting some of these for a looong time. Kind of strange the manufacturer did not market these to fit the double cabs with a special mod instruction to solve this issue. Big market of DC owners out there who have been left out so to speak.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Those look exactly the same as the ones you can buy at Wal Mart or any auto parts store. Someone mounted a pair of those a while back and did a similar mod to make them fit. If you search you can probably fine the thread. I believe that person used a dremel and cut away a little of that area to make them fit.

Thanks for the info. Looks like no one still makes one that "fits" the double cab. Not without a slight mod anyway.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I think would be better, is tie downs mounted on a post that fits in the post hole. Make them so the tie downs are flush when seated. The posts could be bolted in and used when needed and removed if you need to put some sort of rails on the bed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just installed a set of these on my '06 DC - had to take the caps off. I could not get the front covers back on - not enough clearance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thought I would post some pictures up of mine I had installed. I bought these at a 4 Wheel Parts show in the back where they have the sale items. As with the others I had to do a little engineering to get these to fit, but after that worked great. First two pictures are of the front of the bed closest to the cab and the last two are at the end of the bed.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Thought I would post some pictures up of mine I had installed. I bought these at a 4 Wheel Parts show in the back where they have the sale items.

Do you have a link, part number or the brand name...I didnt find any retractable tie downs on their site at all?

Thanks for any help! :tu:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts