Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Yours is a Gen 1 Tundra. I happen to also own a 2006 (gen 1) Tundra and have had the experience you describe. The solution is to replace your belt with a Goodyear Gatorback. :D

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
generally replace the belt or tensioner if thats where the noise is coming from. but sounds like the belt. and theres no "tightening" it...it has a tensioner that keeps it tight.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Goodyear Gatorback! I did the TSB on mine and took care of the squeeling /belt noise for a little over a year. After it came back I installed a Gatorback. Was real bad in wet weather. Put the gatorback on and it is now silent. 30$ after tax at autozone.

·
Registered
60 Posts
check your tesioner pulleys and idler pulleys might have a lil suface rust on them or the belt might have a glaze on it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Curious--has anyone ever installed a slightly shorter belt to fix this? Reason I ask is, I had a Chevy (never again!) with the turbo diesel and they have a similar belt squealing problem, and some guys figured out that installing a belt 1/2" shorter than OEM took care of it, and also making sure to use the gatorback. The length of the belt is right in a belt's part #, so it wouldn't take much to figure how how long a Tundra serpentine belt is, then get one 1/2" shorter. The tensioners on these trucks just seem so weak....

·
Registered
917 Posts
Curious--has anyone ever installed a slightly shorter belt to fix this? Reason I ask is, I had a Chevy (never again!) with the turbo diesel and they have a similar belt squealing problem, and some guys figured out that installing a belt 1/2" shorter than OEM took care of it, and also making sure to use the gatorback. The length of the belt is right in a belt's part #, so it wouldn't take much to figure how how long a Tundra serpentine belt is, then get one 1/2" shorter. The tensioners on these trucks just seem so weak....
No need get the right belt in the gatorback flavor and it fixes 90% of the trucks. I had the TSB done on mine and a year later the Squeal was back I put on the new gator back and 50k later not a squeal one.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
+1 on the Gatorback!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts