Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning, Just purchased a 2005 Tundra DC 4WD 4.7L with tow package. I had installed Timbrens on my previous GMC CanyonCC 4WD (5cyl) for towing and they worked very well for what I needed.
This is my 5th Toyota truck and my 1st Tundra. The price was right and it will be adept for towing our Palomino Gazelle G210 TT microlite (5500lbs loaded). I pulled the Timbrens off the GMC thinking I could use them on the Tundra. I spoke to a local distrubutor who said I had to order Timbrens for the Tundra and could not use the Canyon's- not the same model number. I saw a picture of Timbrens on a Tundra and could not see alot of difference. My Timbrens are 5 inches high and about 4 inches wide. could anyone give me an idea if I can transfer my Timbrens from the Canyon to the Tundra? Thank you for the assistance.

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have an 04 4x4 w/tow package, and my Timbrens are about 4.0" tall and about 3.5" wide. They need to have about 1.0" of space between the top of the Timbren and the body unloaded. So I don't think they will work as yours are 5" tall and I only see about 5" of space between the bottom of the stop and the body where they touch when loaded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the real time measurement. I guess I will be ordering a new set and selling the Canyon set. I have not had time to check the space sizing.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
the timbren site has tables that give all the sizes/shapes/weights for their products and for specific trucks. i remember reading on their site that they have 3 offerings for our gen1 tundras. each one is has a different lb. rating so you have options with the timbrens. let us know which ones you go with.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Are any of you running the front bump stop bushings from Timbren? curious as to how the ride feels...

·
Registered
777 Posts
I am, front and back, the ride is just as good if not better. Very little nose drop during hard braking, takes some body roll away as well.
In my photos there are a few pictures of them installed.

I also have them on the front of the 'work truck' F250. Not much difference on that truck thou, I have extra leaf springs in front along with the Timbren, truck rides like it has tires made of stone, nature of the beast I guess.

You won't regret putting them on.

BTW: they replace the REAR front bump stop, for some reason this is important.

·
Registered
777 Posts
the timbren site has tables that give all the sizes/shapes/weights for their products and for specific trucks. i remember reading on their site that they have 3 offerings for our gen1 tundras. each one is has a different lb. rating so you have options with the timbrens. let us know which ones you go with.
I only saw one part number for all Tundras 2000-2010; Front TOFTUN4 and Rear TORTUN4

4X4 or 4X2 same part numbers

link here Toyota Application Guide for Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems

Not sure what the capacity is; but I think it is 4,000LBS which is way more than the truck would ever see back there. I think the axle would break or at least blow some bearings with that much in the bed.:shocked3d: I had 1.5yrds of dirt back there one time, it only squatted about an inch but the tires were bulging. I only had 7 miles to go down a 45mph road. Truck handled very good thou. (I'll never get that much dirt at one time again, not in that truck anyway)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I only saw one part number for all Tundras 2000-2010; Front TOFTUN4 and Rear TORTUN4

4X4 or 4X2 same part numbers

link here Toyota Application Guide for Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems

Not sure what the capacity is; but I think it is 4,000LBS which is way more than the truck would ever see back there. I think the axle would break or at least blow some bearings with that much in the bed.:shocked3d: I had 1.5yrds of dirt back there one time, it only squatted about an inch but the tires were bulging. I only had 7 miles to go down a 45mph road. Truck handled very good thou. (I'll never get that much dirt at one time again, not in that truck anyway)

here's what you do...
1) go to the timbren website home page and click on "aeon hollow rubber springs" link which is in the upper right big square box located in the middle of the page and the link is in yellow letters.

2) scroll down on the next page that pops up and click on "Double Convolution Springs" which will take you to a chart.

3)on the left hand column of this chart look for the the aeon type 550-55, 550-65, and 550-75. these are the three models that will fit our truck along with nominal rated capacity in lbs., and bump load capacity in lbs.

cheers!

·
Registered
777 Posts
double post some how

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just got off the phone with Timbren ((800) 263-3113) They looked my invoice up and they told me mine are rated as follows
TI TOFTUN4 @ 14,000LBS (I said that seems like a lot and they said they are strong) these are the front ones
TI TORTUN4 @ 6,000LBS these are the rear ones

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Had them on my 06 DC and replaced them with SuperSprings because the ride was horrible with a load in the bed. I will never put these on my truck again.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Here are a few pics
Rear

Front

·
Registered
777 Posts
Had them on my 06 DC and replaced them with SuperSprings because the ride was horrible with a load in the bed. I will never put these on my truck again.
Do these lift the back at all? Because the Timbren don't lift the truck at all and that is what I liked about them the most.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The SuperSprings? Yes, they lifted the back about 1-1.5"
Yes, The SuperSprings, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have never heard of these but from what im gathering is they go between the frame and the axle correct? Once these compress what good are they? Besides being an oversized bump stop.
I just dont see how these can be very effective under a load especially for the price. I went with the Air Lift Ride Control Bags ( Air Lift Company Ride Control; Ride Control Kit - SR5 )on the back of mine which when they arent needed you dont even know they are there and handling is 10x better when loaded.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have never heard of these but from what im gathering is they go between the frame and the axle correct? Once these compress what good are they? Besides being an oversized bump stop.
I just dont see how these can be very effective under a load especially for the price. I went with the Air Lift Ride Control Bags ( Air Lift Company Ride Control; Ride Control Kit - SR5 )on the back of mine which when they arent needed you dont even know they are there and handling is 10x better when loaded.
Yes they do go between the frame and axle. A few posts up there are photos of them installed.

If I were to load my truck every day I would not have gone with these but, I don't put a lot of weight in the back very often.

I will say that when I do load it up these perform very well. I mean they don't feel like a bump stop feels. They do spring back and basically assist your leaf springs. The ride is a little hard when loaded.

When the truck is empty they don't do anything at all, so there is no ride compromise when empty.

The ride is definitely not as good as what you have set up. I ran Air Lift on an old Chevy station wagon that got loaded a lot. That was the best thing about that car.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It has been a few months but here are a few shots taken this weekend with a yard of dirt for my bro-in-law.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts