Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the deal, my 2000 215,000 mile tundra is over due for some new parts. did my fuel filter and spark plugs. i want to do my thermo, water pump, and belts.

is there anything else you guys can recomend i replace?

also being that i hate paying dealer prices, what good websites should i use to purchase my parts, thanks.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
ATF
Water Pump
Both Idler Pulleys
Timing Belt
Coolant
brake upgrade
That would be a good start! But you have not mentioned what had been done other than a couple things, hopefully that is not all the maintenance this truck has recieved?

·
Registered
11 Posts
coolant flush? I guess I can understand this. Belt? If it needs it. water pump, pulleys, radiator, whatever else was listed...why would you even touch this things if they aren't broken? Why would you spend money on these things if they are working fine? There's nothing preventative about replacing pulleys or a water pump or a radiator because they might not fail it's just spending money on a problem that isn't there. But hey, if you like spending money on your truck when it isn't needed go ahead, but I'm too poor for that kind of thing

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree, replace the timing belt if you don't know the history for when it's due. Do the water pump and idlers at the
same time. If there is no build up in your cooling system why flush it and why would you ever change a good clean radiator?
Drain the block when you do the water pump and refill with antifreeze and distilled water or buy the premix. If your brake
fluid is colored at all do a system flush on it with a pressure bleeder. As to a brake upgrade, what for? I tow a boat and drive
a lot of pretty rough roads as well as city and highway. My brakes are fine, rears have 50% on the original shoes and the
front pads were replaced at 65,000. At 95,000 they are fine. If you don't heat them up they don't give you problems.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree, replace the timing belt if you don't know the history for when it's due. Do the water pump and idlers at the
same time. If there is no build up in your cooling system why flush it and why would you ever change a good clean radiator?
Drain the block when you do the water pump and refill with antifreeze and distilled water or buy the premix. If your brake
fluid is colored at all do a system flush on it with a pressure bleeder. As to a brake upgrade, what for? I tow a boat and drive
a lot of pretty rough roads as well as city and highway. My brakes are fine, rears have 50% on the original shoes and the
front pads were replaced at 65,000. At 95,000 they are fine. If you don't heat them up they don't give you problems.
I would change the timing belt if it's condition or change record is not known. The water pump only if it inspected and found to be bad which is easy to see. The idlers only if the are bad meaning rough or make noise when you rotate the. Rad, that would be a expensive and most likely very unnecesary purchase, you can drain and look at the fluid, and do a visual of the inside and tell if you need to go farther with this. Use toyota anti-freeze, and you should never have problems. "I would do" is change my thermostat to a fail safe model that fails open which is handy with these motors. Serpentine belt and plugs, throttle body cleanout, change fluids in the trans, all the gear oils.

Doing this I would think you should be good to go for a long time.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts