Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out this morning and discovered a puddle under my Tundra ('01 AC, 79K miles). I checked the radiator and it was 1/2 a gallon low! I haven't had any trouble with it leaking coolant, in fact I moved cross-country in June and it ran beautifully pulling a 5800lb trailer. Never heated above normal.

The coolant is dripping off the skid plate, and the piece of foam between the radiator and skid plate is saturated on the drivers side. From the threads I've read it appears that the lower end cap (or whatever the plastic ends are called) is a typical location for radiator failure. There is also some visible corrosion on the front of the radiator along that seam (Truck came from NH).

So I'm assuming the seal finally broke and the coolant is seeping out. Is this a good prognosis? It's not coming from the water pump for sure. (I'm looking for a sanity check before I spend $150+ on a radiator and find out it was actually something much cheaper/easier...)

I also assume radiators.com or Rock auto are the best bets for picking up an OEM replacement?

Thanks!

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Pretty good bet it's the radiator. If you know any mechanics, you can pressure check your radiator to make sure. Other that that, clean it up, refill and start it up and locate the leak for sure.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You get what you pay for with parts made from other countries, some are of better quality than others! I would go with Toyota Part if at all possible i have used radiators from one of those retailers and they are cheap for a reason! OEM means Toyota Quality Replacement Parts and i have yet to find one that was cheap!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Not only that but changing your coolant out at specified intervals and using the factory recommended mix goes a long way in keeping it from failing as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts