Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the maintenance schedule, the timing belt on my 04 Tundra is supposed to be replaced every 60k miles. Seems a little premature, but I would rather not take any chances. Truck currently has 72k miles, and the procedure seems pretty straight forward. I plan on replacing the water pump at the same time. Anyone have experience replacing there timing belt? Any tips/advice for a first timer? I have a Haynes manual and have read through the procedure several times, and understand everything. Just need to buy a chain wrench and puller to remove the crankshaft pulley, and one other tool.

·
Registered
65 Posts
do your hw, thoroughly... timing belt is no entry level job, i'm not saying you are an inexperienced hands on person but I've read bad things about incorrectly installed timing belts, which evidently, isn't hard to do,...incorrectly i mean

good luck if you attempt though,...

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Mine wasn't scheduled until 90K/72 months I think, but I have a
2002. I had mine done at the dealer because I live in a condo and
don't have anywhere that I could do a job such as that one.

Anyway, there are a lot of posts on this forum in regards to replacing
the timing belt, however I think it's mostly debates on whether
it should be done when suggested or not. I agree that it should be
done. If you use the search button you may find posts about
people who've done their own. There's also information somewhere
about a kit you can buy on ebay that apparently people here have
used with success. I don't remember what it comes with, but
I think it comes with most of what you'll need. The rest you can
get at a dealer or somewhere else, but I would suggest using
OEM parts for that. Good luck.

John

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Guess time wise you are close to 108 Months and the reccomended replacement is 90K or 108 Months and i would not wait till 90K i would do it on the time interval requiermant schedule, rubber can age and get old and brittle depending on conditions with the climate!
Toyota Parts and Service
I would use this link and see what had not been done prior to 90K and do that maintenance now also!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just did mine on my 03 at 97k miles. Everything looked to be in great condition. Rockauto has the Aisin timing belt kits including belt, wp, tensioner roller and idler roller for a GREAT price. If you google "rockauto discount code" you can get 5% off which should just about cover shipping

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Just curious where you found that it was due at 60K miles? HOGWILD found the
info I was looking for on the scheduled service website and as pointed out
you have about 18K miles to go and pretty much 36 more months.

John

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
2003 timing belt = 90K or 72 months V8 Engine
2004 & 2006 = 90K or 108 months V8 Engine
You can take the chance on belt being in good condition if you exceed the time requirement but are taking a chance of ruining an interference engine if it lets go because you went past one of the requirements. It is your choice i just hope going over time interval does not bite you guys!

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I don't think anyone has suggested going beyond any requirements.
From what it looks like the OP will come up on 90K BEFORE the
108 months.

John

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
sounds like the op has a 3.4 v-6 in his tundra, if so it could be due at 60k and should be done, my 1996 4runner was due at 60k with a 3.4 v-6

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you never replace the timing belts before and not very handy with mechanic... I strongly suggest you find a good mechanic to do the job. JMHO.

I would replace the timing belt at around 90K... replace all the belts, water pump, belt tensioner, thermostat, timing belt... cost you a little more... but it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
sounds like the op has a 3.4 v-6 in his tundra, if so it could be due at 60k and should be done, my 1996 4runner was due at 60k with a 3.4 v-6
2004 V6 3.4L is not an interference engine and acccording to Toyota's link i posted it is due at 90K/108 months not 60K/72 months, frrom what i read it did not mention the V6 in my link anywhere or i am blind? The V6 can let go and you will not have to worry about broken junk floating around up top! My 2006 Tundra actually has a in service date of Sept 2005 so if you go on a scheduled time change which i feel needs to be done if you live in a cold climate and park outside the months can go by pretty fast! Most people go over this time change schedule and not many people experience belt failures but a few have and the results are ugly, it's a crap shoot with good odds that it will last way past the interval anyway! What gets me the 2003 V8 tundra is due change at 90K/72 months and i wonder why it is so different than the 2004-2006 intervals? Belt that much different?

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
...rubber can age and get old and brittle depending on conditions with the climate...
True, but the issue with the timing belt is not the outside rubber overlay, it's the poly/fiber core that needs to maintain structural integrity, and that cannot be ascertained by a visual inspection. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I replaced my timing belt and water pump etc... two weeks ago. I luckily have a good friend who is fairly well versed in auto mechanics, but had never replaced a timing belt. This is not a minor job!! You will be surprised how much this involves when you dig into this project. I also had read through every thread I could about the job and have the Haynes manual, but I was overwhelmed at how much it takes to just get to the timing and water pump.
My advice is to take pictures of every part that you remove along with the fasteners that go to that part. I did this and it made the reassembly a little easier. Follow the Haynes manual instructions step for step!!! Most importantly is the installation of the new belt and making sure the timing marks are lines up correctly. This is not as easy as it sounds. Daunting task for a beginner, but also incredibly satisfying.
Good Luck. God Speed.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
just make sure you put the belt on the right way. the "L" and "R" marks on the belt are as if you were sitting IN the car. so when installing it, the "L" mark should be on the right side and the "R" should be on the left, when standing in front of the vehicle. toyota belts also has lots of lines and dotted lines where you line up the crank.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haynes repair manual said 60k I believe. Must have been looking at the V6. I have the V8, so apparently I'm fine until 90k.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I have a 2002 Tundra V-8, 4.7. Toyota says to replace at 90,000 miles or every 6 years I believe for the V-8. I did mine because I was over 6 years. I have 74,000 miles on my truck. The dealer replaced the water pump too but said the tensioners were all ok. At least I don't have to worry about it for awhile now.

Scoob

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
I just had mine done a week ago at 104K it was always in the back of my head until i finally got it done, kind of a relief. also had them do the diff and tranny fluids. i did the oil spark plugs and so on. she is all refreshed and sure drives like it too :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts