Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 V8 108K miles...timing belt replaced at 102K in february of last year by Toyotal dealership. Recently stalled and will not restart, fuel pressure good, camshaft and crankshaft pos indicators resistance good, power to coils good, there is no spark and cylinder pressures are as low as 90psi...points to timing belt broke or jumped and potentially damaged engine....anyone have experience with this.....is the dealership liable...truck is out of warranty.....have put 6K on it since they replaced the belt....maybe tensioner is bad?...I am bracing myself for when I take it to dealership and they tell me engine is destroyed....somebody please give me some good news....plan on towing it to dealership this weekend

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If you're lucky, whatever part broke is under warranty. I don't see how they could be liable for it other than that. Hopefully they'll be willing to work something out with you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A 12/12 is great, but will they cover the broken parts as well as the belt? A lot of warranties cover only the product installed and the labour. My dad had an issue with a ball joint failure and they would not cover body damage due to the failure.
Hope this all works out for you.

·
Registered
756 Posts
12/12 is up anyway. I read it as the belt was replaced feb of 09. Hopefully the dealership will work with you. I think you'll be looking at buying a different motor, which can be had pretty cheap don't panic, ebay and craigslist for a grand, and the dealer install it for you. I think that will be your best case, if it was the belt that broke. Be sure they put the warranty replaced belt on the new motor for free. Good luck I feel for you on this one. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
917 Posts
There is not enough info here to make a guess. Did it break, jump, tensioner give way. What did they change when they did the service? There is way too many possibilities. This is not an issue with Toyota it is with the dealership so that is a wildcard.

·
Registered
756 Posts
There is not enough info here to make a guess. Did it break, jump, tensioner give way. What did they change when they did the service? There is way too many possibilities. This is not an issue with Toyota it is with the dealership so that is a wildcard.
very true. Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Keep my posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
had it towed to dealer yesterday...they are looking at it Monday and I will update you guys....the said the work was good for 12/12 but hinted at trying to work with me if there is a problem....probably hitting Toyota at the best time possible for issues with customers.......when I was checking compression in the cylinders and turning over the engine I never heard any bad noises like a piston hitting a valve...timing and such is getting beyond my knowledge of engines that I developed growing up on a farm....I would assume that the timing would have to be way off for the pistion to be at the top of the stroke and a valve to be all the way down for the piston to hit?....so if the timing is only slightly off the valve is only partially open and piston still clears but it is open enough to give low compression??? I would appreciate one of you guys educating me on this subject....one thing that erks me is why do Honda and Toyota continue to have belts while Nissan/Infiniti (I have one of each) have chains that never need changed?...the only other time I had a timing belt changed was on a 1991 prelude and the day after my wife was stranded in downtown Indianapolis because the timing belt jumped and the car was sputtering and coughing and wouldn't go over 10 mph!

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Hopefully Toyota does take care of you.
As far as timing belts and chains here is my opinion. I like timing belts better because they are quiet, they don't need to be lubricated. Where timing chain in my BMW (3 series) got stretched, it made noise and I needed to replace timing chain tentioner = pita

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
If you have a history of taking your truck in for service at the dealership, I am sure they will do SOMETHING for you. Many people never see the dealer again after the bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranties are up. They turn to trusted mechanics that are much cheaper. I feel that loyalty has to count for something?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
great news!...timing was off but not because the timing belt jumped...they discovered a bad wire at the crankshaft sensor.....which I had checked the resistance on and was in spec but that only confirmed that the sensor was okay...it was a wire leading away from the sensor that had a worn spot on it where it had been rubbing on something......so I had bad compression readings because timing was off due to sensor going bad and that apparently throws off the timing according to dealer..(beyond my comprehension of wrenching).

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
great news!...timing was off but not because the timing belt jumped...they discovered a bad wire at the crankshaft sensor.....which I had checked the resistance on and was in spec but that only confirmed that the sensor was okay...it was a wire leading away from the sensor that had a worn spot on it where it had been rubbing on something......so I had bad compression readings because timing was off due to sensor going bad and that apparently throws off the timing according to dealer..(beyond my comprehension of wrenching).
I would've thought you'd have a code for something like this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they only charged $60...I think Toyota is currently in a very gracious state of mind....anyone needing service that they have been putting off should get it done now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The danger of engine failure (possibly catastrophic) here is due to the fact that Toyota and Honda have "interference engines". It does not matter whether it is belt or chain driven. The problem is that in an interference engine, the valves travel into the cylinder space, so if the timing is off too far, it can allow the valves to be in the cylinder space when the pistons are on their upstroke. Toyota recommends changing the timing belts at 90,000 miles, Honda recommends 60,000. I read somewhere that Toyota planned to go back to chains, although noisier, they are less apt to break.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts