Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get the upper timing belt cover off my wife's 1996 4 cyl. Camry. The Haynes manual doesn't say anything about removing the (aluminum) right engine mount support which would be a bear to take off and it looks like it should be able to come off now but it just won't slide off. I'm pretty sure I've gotten all the bolts off for the cover. Any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took the aluminum support off which turned out not to be that difficult after all and the cover still wouldn't come off. It turned out to be an obscure clip underneath the cover held in place by an oversized bolt. That little clip wasn't on the exploded drawing and was very difficult to get to. Not sure of the purpose of the clip other than it might keep down rattling.

Always an adventure. On to the next problem.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
I was checking out your PDF's and everytime i see a torque wrench i turn blue:cry: !! I would venture to say majority of Techs own them and never use them, just from past experiences with Toyota Techs. :td: :td:
I have 3 and use them quite often :D
Guess I am not part of that majority:tu: :tu: ;)
Just

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
I was checking out your PDF's and everytime i see a torque wrench i turn blue:cry: !! I would venture to say majority of Techs own them and never use them, just from past experiences with Toyota Techs. :td: :td:
I have 3 and use them quite often :D
Guess I am not part of that majority:tu: :tu: ;)
Just dont go HOGWILD on me please :p :D , I really do use them.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
NOPE!! Been doing good, and play well with others!! Hard to see but old age and shift work are to blame. :D I am a retired Aircraft mechanic 20 years and when ya see a torque value it was put there to be used and why cut corners? Even on Autos it could mean a part will fail if not torqued properly and with my family driving it, ya gotta want it done correctly!!:eek:

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
NOPE!! Been doing good, and play well with others!! Hard to see but old age and shift work are to blame. :D I am a retired Aircraft mechanic 20 years and when ya see a torque value it was put there to be used and why cut corners? Even on Autos it could mean a part will fail if not torqued properly and with my family driving it, ya gotta want it done correctly!!:eek:
You are absolutley correct 1000% :tu:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts