Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 03 Limited 4x4 Sequoia with 135k from a dealer that got it on trade in from the original owner.
The dealer I purchased from did not originally sell it so I called the first dealer that sold it back in 2003.

They do not have records for any maintenance. The carfax does show some oil changes, brake work, and tire rotations, and drive belts (did right before I bought it). However it does not show anything about the 90k service.

It does not have the sticker on the intake tube.
There is no paper trail for me to find if it was done or not.
It runs great.
The only thing I haven’t done is actually try and track down the original owner through an internet search or a favor from the dealer. (I’m not sure if this would be possible.)

I assume from the condition and performance that it was done, but at a local type of mechanic that doesn’t report on carfax or have the Toyota factory sticker.

Is there anything that I can visibly look for or test to try and determine if the 90k service Timing belt, water pump…ect.

If not I will do it soon but if there is a way to save 400-800 dollars I am all for it.
Thanks for your time!

:D

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All you technical guys out there don't know of some trick?:ts:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Unfortunately there isn't. The belt can look fine, and be very old and cracked on the underside where most of the heat is generated. If you can't find proof, the only way to know for sure is to replace it. The performance of the engine is in no way an indicator for the timing belt, so you can't tell from that. Good luck finding out. At that mileage, I would probably replace the timing idlers and belt tensioner as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it has 135K miles on it by the original owner, then you can assume it wasn't changed. Better to just go ahead and replace it. Cheaper than bent valves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts