Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I really need some advice on the timing belt. I have 2002 tundra V8. Missing on cylinders 2468. Auto shop told me to replace timing belt. I think I can do that however as I was researching I came upon the tap dead center lines on the camshaft and crankshaft. All of them are WAY WAY WAY off. The left Cam shaft is off like 4 inches and the right 3 inches. Before I start taking things apart I am interested in how to get them back in alignment. I cant afford to have the shop do the repair at $4K. So I am stuck handling this myself. Any (any any any) help advice direction would be appreciated.

Thank you
Dave

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
If you dont get any responses, search threads on here for timing belt alignment and post your question in a more recent thread. You might get more hits that way.
This thread is not that new but the last guy to post, jbarnett, was just on here yesterday. So if you asked your question there, or maybe shoot him a message, you could get a faster answer.

Reactions: xsnrg06Limited

·
Registered
329 Posts
As cheapskate suggested check this site for previous discussions on "Timing Belt Replacement.
The timing marks on the cams and the pulley do not line up all the time because of size of them being different. So finding the not aligned is not a "freak out" moment. If you were to continue turning the crank pulley they "should" line up eventually..
Go to You Tube or 1A Auto website and view the series of post 1A Auto did of the step by step timing belt replacement on the 4.7. SUPER informative. I am old (75) and work slowly but did the entire job in about 10 1/2 hrs. over two days.
Remember if you have questions, just ask. There are many who have done it before. Welcome aboard and...Enjoy the adventure... Chap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you dont get any responses, search threads on here for timing belt alignment and post your question in a more recent thread. You might get more hits that way.
This thread is not that new but the last guy to post, jbarnett, was just on here yesterday. So if you asked your question there, or maybe shoot him a message, you could get a faster answer.

Thank you very much for your reply. I will do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As cheapskate suggested check this site for previous discussions on "Timing Belt Replacement.
The timing marks on the cams and the pulley do not line up all the time because of size of them being different. So finding the not aligned is not a "freak out" moment. If you were to continue turning the crank pulley they "should" line up eventually..
Go to You Tube or 1A Auto website and view the series of post 1A Auto did of the step by step timing belt replacement on the 4.7. SUPER informative. I am old (75) and work slowly but did the entire job in about 10 1/2 hrs. over two days.
Remember if you have questions, just ask. There are many who have done it before. Welcome aboard and...Enjoy the adventure... Chap
Thank you sir. I appreciate the response. I did watch the video you suggested a few days ago which gave me the courage to do this. (lol). However he indicates in the video all marks must be lined up but he doesn't comment on what to do if they don't so my quest for information begins. I will try turning over the crankshaft a few times to see if that helps.

Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's been a couple years since I did my belt because it jumped a couple teeth but if you look for my old thread it has pictures that show you what my timing marks looked like when I had my problem. And the only thing to do if your timing is off is to loosen or remove the belt and set the cams back to the right positions. Might as well do the whole belt and tensioner and water pump replacement job if you're in there that far. I followed good DIY threads from here when I did mine. If you do the same and are handy you can do this job. Having a serious impact wrench or buying the harmonic balancer holder to break the crank bolt loose makes the job easier. Good luck and post back and tell us how it went.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Thank you sir. I appreciate the response. I did watch the video you suggested a few days ago which gave me the courage to do this. (lol). However he indicates in the video all marks must be lined up but he doesn't comment on what to do if they don't so my quest for information begins. I will try turning over the crankshaft a few times to see if that helps.

Dave
It is much easier to turn the engine over after you remove the spark plugs. With plugs removed there will be no compression. It is a good time to replace your plugs too. While you don't need to remove the plugs if you are having difficulty rotating the engine this will help. I would recommend a long ratchet to help

·
Registered
329 Posts
As stated when replacing the TB you are resetting everything to "start" position. I may have confused you in my last response about turning until the lined up. If you are going to change the TB remove the old one and go from there. You don't have to keep turning everything over in hopes that they will align. If you happen to turn past a mark take it another lap, don't turn back the other way.
Plan ahead and gather the new parts before you dive in. I would install a new serpentine belt also if it has been awhile. Bag and label those bolts and small parts. Enjoy the adventure... Chap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts