Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether the 5.7L has a timing chain or belt? If the latter, what is the change interval?

·
Registered
60 Posts
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww this is good news too!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would rather have a belt. Just my .02 from a techs view

·
Registered
103 Posts
Alot easier to work on. 4.7 belts are very easy to do. Alot less parts to go bad you have
4 chains, 4 tensioners, guides, on a 5.7

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Alot easier to work on. 4.7 belts are very easy to do. Alot less parts to go bad you have
4 chains, 4 tensioners, guides, on a 5.7

No tensioners on a belt???

Anyways, you are REQUIRED to change out a belt periodically.... unless sumpin' frags with the chain system, it should last the life of the motor.

Chains>belts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chain Vs belt

I read an article in a magazine where it was discussing how timing chain wear would have some effect on when the valves opened. I.e. Valve timing. This article went into a pretty lengthy discussion on how if each link wore .0025 inches and there are 100 links in the chain this equates to .250 inches or 1/4 inch of change. The theory makes sense but not sure if we would feel or see much power change over the life of a vehicle.

I think the magazine was Motorcycle Consumer News but not 100% positive on this.

This being said I will take a chain over a belt.

old n

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
Re: Chain Vs belt

I read an article in a magazine where it was discussing how timing chain wear would have some effect on when the valves opened. I.e. Valve timing. This article went into a pretty lengthy discussion on how if each link wore .0025 inches and there are 100 links in the chain this equates to .250 inches or 1/4 inch of change. The theory makes sense but not sure if we would feel or see much power change over the life of a vehicle.

I think the magazine was Motorcycle Consumer News but not 100% positive on this.

old n
Your math is correct BUT 2-1/2 thousandths per link is a tremendous amount of wear. The chain would have to be seriously under-designed to ever get that bad. :eek:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Re: Chain Vs belt

old n

I agree with mendo and that even if the stretch got near those numbers, you'd have gone through many belts.

I read an article one time on what I thought was the most fool proof way of spinning a cam....gear drive. It was when Honda was running gears on their V4's; turns out the harmonics transferred directly to the valve train.......not good.

I suppose on lower RPM motors it wouldn't matter quite as much.

I think MOST of us agree that a chain is probably the best compromise for durability and performance. (waiting for an old Ducati owner to pipe in on the desmo system:D)

·
Registered
53 Posts
As I recall, the older 22R engines had chains as well, and eventually when the chain broke (I've seen it in action), the pistons crushed the valves and it was an ugly job to fix. So, are we to assume that with the chain in the 5.7L engine this is a non-serviceable item (I.E. they figure it will last 400k miles?)?

As well, does anybody have a blow-up image of the timing chain?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would be super happy to know that the chain will go 120k+ miles before having to swap it out. Can anyone confirm the service interval?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts