Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timing belt issue *Updated*

I have a 2000 Limited 4wd V8.I have about 55k on the truck.I was told to replace the timing belt because even though I have less miles than I need to replace,the tech guy said about 100k,or 8 years.I was wondering if this is true,also he suggested to replace the water belt,and the serpintine belt all at once.I would like a second opinion,you can imagine getting my Honda Civic inspected,and casually talking to the mech could lead to me having to pay over $700.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Personally i'd wait since when i had my timing belt replaced at 91K it looked good without any major cracking or ribs gone. I got a pic of the old one in my gallery. Plus there's really nothing to deteriorate the timing belt since it's covered and not exposed to anything that'd break the material down. You could remove a inspection plug to check it's condition and if it looks good, chances are it'd last to 90K. Toyota recommends that to cover themselves just in case. I'd recommend the timing belt, water pump(although my old one was is good shape but was starting to weep out the gasket just a tad), the pulleys(the bearings were just starting to go bad so they wouldnt have made it another 90K), and that's it. Some people will recommend the seals and tensioner but as long as they're not leaking and are operating properly, you're better off leaving them alone. The serpentine belt should be replace when cracks start forming but that's really easy.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You can't tell if a timing belt is about to break. It is the strong core fibers INSIDE that are the potential problem eventhough the outside rubber looks good.

Unless, of course, the outside of the belt is obviously damaged, then you know it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Toyota Parts and Service 90K Miles OR 72 Months, Toyota is the one that says do it under those parameters? I feel it depends on how truck has been driven and where it has been stored as in enviornmental conditions! It is an interference engine and will be toast if the belt lets loose but it's a crap shoot to let it go too far!

·
Registered
33 Posts
look at it this way 700$ (which is a pretty good price if its parts and labor, i was quoted 1400$ and 1800$) or 5g's on new motor.
I bought my truck in feb w/ 153k and took a gamble b/c the owner did not know if the belt was ever done. I finally changed it last week w/ 160k and im glad i did b/c it looks to be the orig. belt. there was a very nice tear on the outside of the belt and i would have been lucky to get another 2k out of it. I did it myself and it cost about $800 which included a new rad., trans cooler, all new hoses belts idlers, tensioner, seals , wp, camholder and crank holder, a fsm, etc etc..

I can now sleep at night knowing i wont be stranded in East NY at 1am.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Personally i'd wait since when i had my timing belt replaced at 91K it looked good without any major cracking or ribs gone. I got a pic of the old one in my gallery. Plus there's really nothing to deteriorate the timing belt since it's covered and not exposed to anything that'd break the material down. You could remove a inspection plug to check it's condition and if it looks good, chances are it'd last to 90K. Toyota recommends that to cover themselves just in case. I'd recommend the timing belt, water pump(although my old one was is good shape but was starting to weep out the gasket just a tad), the pulleys(the bearings were just starting to go bad so they wouldnt have made it another 90K), and that's it. Some people will recommend the seals and tensioner but as long as they're not leaking and are operating properly, you're better off leaving them alone. The serpentine belt should be replace when cracks start forming but that's really easy.
I would tend to disagree with the statement "Plus there's really nothing to deteriorate the timing belt since it's covered and not exposed to anything that'd break the material down". The entire engine bay goes through heat up and cool down cycles. That alone will break down a belt. I would not gamble 10k of my money that they belt will last longer than Toyota suggests. Thats my dos Pesos.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got my truck back.I had the timing belt,cam seals,water pump and seals,spark plugs,coolant flush all done.Including having my caliper,and drums freshened up with some new paint.The serpentine belt was not replaced,they said it looked brand new.I guess since I only have about 45k on the truck it was ok.My bill was a total of $695,I am very happy with the price,since local dealers wanted up to $900 for the same job.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Im at 151k now on the original timing belt if that makes you feel any better. I plan on changing it as soon as my economic stimulus check gets here though.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just got my truck back.I had the timing belt,cam seals,water pump and seals,spark plugs,coolant flush all done.Including having my caliper,and drums freshened up with some new paint.The serpentine belt was not replaced,they said it looked brand new.I guess since I only have about 45k on the truck it was ok.My bill was a total of $695,I am very happy with the price,since local dealers wanted up to $900 for the same job.
All of that for $695? You did good! :tu:

·
Registered
11 Posts
$695 job.
If I can get that job done somewhere in Queens, NY I'd be into it.
Any shop recommendation for the NY members?

I do have a question. I bought my truck at 110k and the 'used car salesman' answered me directly that the timing belt had been changed at 90k but I forgot to ask for any records/receips. This was 9 months or so. Is there a way to verify if a timing belt had been changed? Can a mechanic tell if it's original or not? I've gotten some mixed feedback on this so far...

I drive a 2001 Tundra DC 4x4. Current milage around 120k.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
an austin toyota dealer wanted $650 for belt and water pump. Just under $1000 for belt, water pump, tensioners, idler, hoses, etc. An independent mechanic i know wanted $1100 for the same thing (basically rebuilding the entire front end).

·
Registered
564 Posts
When a timing belt is replaced it comes with a sticker that goes on the timing belt cover that says what mileage it was changed at and the mechanic is suppost to put the sticker on but i'm willing to bet at least 50% don't put the sticker on. There is an inspection hole in the front belt cover that can be removed and the timing belt checked. A new belt should look different from an old belt. Kinda like old tires vs new. A trained eye should be able to tell but possibly not.

·
Registered
439 Posts
an austin toyota dealer wanted $650 for belt and water pump. Just under $1000 for belt, water pump, tensioners, idler, hoses, etc. An independent mechanic i know wanted $1100 for the same thing (basically rebuilding the entire front end).
Go to anything toyota.com ( there out of Houston) and get there prices, I did timing belt, waterpump, spark plugs, Radiator flush, and bought Toyota Anti-freeze, and also a new thermo stat shipped to Kentucky for under 300.00 bucks. Timing belt is only like 38.00 and the water pump 123.00 I checked on the tensoiner like 45.00 bucks but the Toyota techs said They have only seen 1 or 2 that were bad on any Toyota, and they were right.
Kevin
Ps Talk to Mark in parts They advertise here on TS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How did the tim.belt looked? did you trust that shop?
FWIW, I just had the timing belt replaced in my 2001 4.7 L with just under 100K miles and there was no signs of wear. I waited this long after reading posts here of some that had replaced theirs at over 300K and it looked like new.

BUT since the belt was original and going on 20 years old, I decided to bite the bullet and not push my luck with this interference engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts