Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'm new to this forum as a member, but i've gained a lot of valuable information just reading the posts. i just wanted to introduce myself and post a bit of information about my experience with my timing belt. i'm sure i'll hear some crazy comments on this, and i'm in no way encouraging it, but i just changed my original timing belt at 142,xxx mi.

i'm new to the toyotas, but i was very impressed with the fit and engineering of all of the parts. i used bando belts, an aisin water pump, new idlers, tensioner, and spark plugs. i bought the tool for holding the crank pulley and the tool for turning the cam pulley and i'm glad i did. the hardest thing for me was unbolting the a/c compressor.

i know a lot of people say not to expect any improvement in running condition when changing the belt, but it seems to me the truck idles smoother, quieter, and at a lower rpm. also before i had a problem where every time i unhooked the battery for something, the truck would run like crap and idle extremely slowly for about two days until it readjusted itself. it no longer this, as it idled perfectly around 600 rpm on the first crank. it was wayyy overdue for the belt, and i don't plan to run the sequoia as long. again, thanks for all of the useful information.

Mike O'Brien
- '02 Tundra Access Cab
- '05 Sequoia SR5

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Nutzman,

I worked for nearly 4 years in Germany developing and testing timing belt systems for automotive applications (disclaimer - not for Toyota!). Our design bogey for the tensioners themselves was 150k miles (set by the OEM's) and the tensioner is actually considered the weak link of the system! A modern timing belt should be able to run 150k and come out with just minor tooth flank wear. I'd sure be interested to see any close-up pics of your old belt :happy3d:

Toyota made a smart choice going for the belt over a chain....it's cheaper as a system up front, you can still get over 100k miles without a real need to replace the components and you do away with the NVH issues associated with chains and sprockets meshing.

Good to hear you got in there and replaced everything at once...you shouldn't need to open her up again for another 100k+ :laughing3d:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts