Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to get your input on a timing belt/water pump receipt I found from a list of receipts the P.O (No longer have contact with him). (From what I know, maintenance was kept up with). Do any of you out there who have had timing/belt water pump jobs done by the dealer have work orders that look similar to the one I have? I know I probably sound like a complete idiot in typing this, but i'm confused if the timing belt and water pump were actually done when it was brought in to the dealer, or if this "Maintenance Needs" section you see at the bottom is just a recommended maintenance section given the mileage of the truck, which was around 80k at the time in Dec. of 2014. To my knowledge, it was brought in for the frame recall (frame wasn't replaced but they applied that CRC stuff i'm sure you guys are familiar with) at this time and I think a couple other things like the transfer case output seal were replaced too. My question is if the P.O. declined the work, wouldn't it not have showed up at all on this page of the worksheet at all? It says nothing about declined services on this sheet. I tried the online toyota service record thing, and didn't see a mention of it there, but don't really know how accurate it could be since it was several years ago at this point. The truck is an '04 LTD Access Cab with 99k miles now (98k when I got it) for those who are wondering. I'd just like to hear you guys' two cents. Thanks!
Font Wood Rectangle Parallel Handwriting

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do you know which dealership? Call them and give the vin if so and see. It doesn’t look like it was done. Just suggested to be done because it was time. That’s my 2 cents. Different shops and dealerships will have different receipts/invoices so to know for sure I would call them. They should absolutely have record of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can open up one side off the black covers of the cam. Get a socket and rotate the engine. Clockwise. If the timming belt was replaced the belt should have white identifiable lettering, and should should shows no signs of cracks.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts

I registered my used Tundra here and found a plethora of information concerning service performed at the dealership level.
It's a valuable resource and you may find the results interesting and informative.

·
Registered
984 Posts
My "guess" is that it was NOT done and just as you thought, suggested maintenance needed in the future. My dealer invoice looks similar and they are just drumming up business at that point. At 80k a timing belt has at least another 10k of life in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That very much looks like them suggesting it needs to be done. Actually, to me the entire page looks like suggested work that it needed when it was in for the recall, not work completed. I didn’t keep it, but my dealer gave me a similar page when I took mine in for the airbag recall. They wanted about $1,200 for the timing belt change. I took my truck to a local Toyota specialty shop and had it done for $900. I actually trust them more than the dealer. So just because the dealer has no record doesn’t mean it was done. Timing belts come with a sticker to put on the cover to record what mileage it was changed at though. A reputable shop would have put it on. It isn’t that hard to take the one upper cover loose and look though. Whoever owned my truck before me hadn’t done it at the 90k interval. My truck was at almost 170k when I pulled the cover and found it was very obvious that it hadn’t been done. In my experience time is just as bad on rubber as actual mileage though, so I would open it up soon and verify. Your 04 will likely have the same amount of cracking as my 05 did with twice the miles just because of the age of the belt.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If they did it with a Toyota kit there is a replacement sticker that comes with the kit and you stick it on and hand write the milage that the timing belt replacement was done. Might give it a look - see and see if you can find it. Someone might have stuck it under the hood too so check there too. I like how they put the "Investment" on the invoice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone. For peace of mind, I took the truck in to a local shop and they're doing the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, and spark plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts