Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car into the shop this past Friday morning to have the timing belt changed. Thinking it would be done by the time the shop closed, I get a call close to closing time and was informed that it wouldn't be done that day due to the belt slipping off the cam... or something to that effect upon reinstallation and they would have to keep the car over the weekend since they are closed Saturday and Sunday.

So, today I stop by to check on the status and was told that everything with the timing belt was operating correctly after they had rechecked everything, but now when they start the car it sputters and dies. Now they are telling me that I might have a bad MAF sensor, or perhaps a short somewhere in that circuit! Apparently it was throwing a code that was MAF related. I didn't experience any driveability issues whatsoever before bringing it in, so I find it extremely hard to believe that after 100k miles that it would decide to fail now, coincidentally while being in the shop.

What could they possibly have done to cause this problem? I'm not sure how much a MAF sensor cost for these trucks, but could they have done something to make it fail? Please, I need some suggestions of what you all would do if you were in this situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I supplied them with all the parts, but the Toyota dealership apparently gave me the wrong tb tensioner. They told me that they have never seen a tb tensioner go bad on these trucks and that it would be fine to leave the original one in. I told them that I would rather replace it anyway since they already have everything apart and would hate to have to pay the labor twice should the original one go bad before the next scheduled timing belt replacement arrives. I'm sure they wouldn't be willing to go in there for free a few thousand miles down the road if the original one failed if they just so happened to be wrong. So, I insisted that it get replaced.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Man....that sucks!
Is this a shop you've dealt with b4? Do they know Toyotas?
The TB on the V8 is pretty labor intensive....a lot nuts and bolts, electrical plugs, not to mention getting the valve timing perfect. I imagine if they had one of the cams off one tooth it might start and run really badly. There has been a few debates on here if the V8 or any engine can really run with the timing "slipped a tooth" I would wonder if a valve would kiss a piston and get bent and ruined....that would REALLY SUCK!
Wow......I sound like pervayor of Doom....:alien: Sorry
Hopefully they have a wire or cable not plugged in all the way....something simple and not costly.
Let us know!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man....that sucks!
Is this a shop you've dealt with b4? Do they know Toyotas?
The TB on the V8 is pretty labor intensive....a lot nuts and bolts, electrical plugs, not to mention getting the valve timing perfect. I imagine if they had one of the cams off one tooth it might start and run really badly. There has been a few debates on here if the V8 or any engine can really run with the timing "slipped a tooth" I would wonder if a valve would kiss a piston and get bent and ruined....that would REALLY SUCK!
Wow......I sound like pervayor of Doom....:alien: Sorry
Hopefully they have a wire or cable not plugged in all the way....something simple and not costly.
Let us know!
My mom has taken her Lexus there for repairs on more than one occassion. They actually specialize in Japanese vehicles...vietnamese owned. They said that everything was lined up when they rechecked, so I don't know what could be the problem. What are the chances of them having let a valve hit a piston? If this is the case, surely they would be fully responsible in correcting the issue right? What really sucks is that I need a truck for work and every day I'm without it I am paying for a rental.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
The part of your story that concerns me is the "due to the belt slipping off the cam... or something to that effect upon reinstallation "....that could be real bad.
I don't think you can bend just one valve....some where on this site are some pics of a V8 that bent valves.....many of them.
Like I said b4, hopefully they just have something not connected or plugged in all the way.
Something easy and no charge to you!
Good Luck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, TheGryme. I sure hope its not bent valves. If thats the case... this shop will be doing alot of additional work for free then.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I did mine tb myself 2 years ago ,and it gets scary when you take all the covers and see the tb and pulleys.I did the wp also.I reuse old tensioner,so far so good, i replaced both bearings though.I remember i got excited and cut the old belt without checking the marks on tb,but i'm sure they were worn out, i read people cut tb in half sideways so pulley teeth shows and then mounting the new one on half way and they cut the rest of the old one out.The way i did it was taking the crank to 0 and align the marks with the cams.I wanted to check it before i put everything back so i started the engine and it did not start, i hook up the mas air sensr at the air box and it started.but i forgot the power steering pipes were unhooked and it leaked trans fluid, but it was fine , it did.t leak as much. I think many things can go wrong if you are not familiar with the job. there is a plate on the crank if you put it backwards it will not start, cause is next to a sensor.and another cam sensor that is a pain when you take the cam cover out.I almost give up when i could take the crank bolt out , and i still don't know is tight enough. but so far so good. and then i could't take the cam cover cause the sterring pump is in the way, and the air compressor is in the way, and finally the tb , i though it was the easy part to do but it's actually when you need more brains.finally I prayed that start and nothing was wrong, and so far so good , it was my first time doing it and it takes skill and know where the bolts go back together, cause they all look similar when you put it back together.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
Interesting that they pulled a CEL code for a MAF issue though... bet they dropped your MAF sensor on the floor, looked it up for pricing, realized that it's over $100, and didn't want to cover their mistake.

·
Registered
917 Posts
This is why I don't use roadside mechanics. While you may save a few bucks once in a while problems like this don't make it worth it. Find a good dealer and use them they no the trucks they deal with them everyday.

·
Registered
367 Posts
This is why I don't use roadside mechanics. While you may save a few bucks once in a while problems like this don't make it worth it. Find a good dealer and use them they no the trucks they deal with them everyday.
Exactly. Because a dealer would never screw you over.

:worshiptoyota:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... I stopped by the shop on my way to work this morning to see if maybe they tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. The owner said they tried that and they had a battery charger hooked up to it at the time. He showed me what the truck was doing by starting it and having it start for a split second then die. He mentioned that perhaps upon teardown or installation, a wire may have gotten pinched somewhere thats not easily seen and they would have to investigate further. I left it at that and headed to work.

Needless to say, I did not receive the call that I was hoping for later in the day saying that they found the problem and my car was ready to be picked up, so I will be paying yet another additional day in rental car fees. What is the shop's liability concerning this type of situation? Are they required by law to compensate me in any way? When the tech (owner's son) told me about the possible defective MAF sensor, he mentioned that the dealer didn't stock it probably due to the fact that its not something that typically goes bad very often, which made me even more suspicious that if it is in fact bad, it was of their doing. I guess we'll see what transpires tomorrow.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
He mentioned that perhaps upon teardown or installation, a wire may have gotten pinched somewhere thats not easily seen and they would have to investigate further. .
There are a couple of wires under the covers.....cam timing.....not MAF

·
Registered
128 Posts
why would they have to take the maf sensor out, all they have to do is unplug maf wire and take the intake off. am i right?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'll bet they screwed up the cam timing and bent some valves. The ECU can't understand basic engine mechanical malfunctions and will trip an error code for the MAF sensor when it "sees" the goofy data that is produced by a "lumpy" MAF signal. ANY TAKERS?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'll bet they screwed up the cam timing and bent some valves. The ECU can't understand basic engine mechanical malfunctions and will trip an error code for the MAF sensor when it "sees" the goofy data that is produced by a "lumpy" MAF signal. ANY TAKERS?
I think you are onto something. What happened to the OP? They ought to have this thing
sorted out by now. Simple compression check.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts