Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Folks! My 2WD '03 Tundra 4.7 Access Cab has 75k+ miles. I'm retired...putting less than 10K miles a year on it. All systems currently run excellent! If this were your truck, when would you consider changing the timing belt w/tensioner and the water pump? Thanks in advance for your repsonse.

Markomann
Virginia Beach, VA

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
You can replace those items now and never have to worry about a cooling system-related failure. You're going to have to replace them within the next year or two, but every day you put it off you'll get one day closer to a failure. I'm getting into a similar status with my '04 Tundra ... just turned over 60,000 miles. I'll likely do the cooling system R&R at 75-80,000 miles.

Peace of mind, Mate. Peace of mind. We retired folks appreciate the value of that prize.
:sleep:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just replaced the timing belt in my 02 Sequoia at 81000 miles. I would have waited, but it was only $359 to do the job at the dealer. Cheap insurance. I also had them do the serpentine belt for parts cost at $55. I really thought it was going to be more like $1000 or so. I was surprised.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I like 03 2wds.:heh:
I was worried but out of money at 75k, now I am at 95k and still no trouble, also an 03 2wd. While it is risky, I have heard it is very rare for them to fail on our trucks.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,561 Posts
The recommended timing belt replacement interval is 90,000 miles. I think time and environmental factors play key roles in that calculus as well.

You have a truck with approximately 8 years on the clock. It's time. Invest in the peace of mind. :tu:

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is an interference engine, so if the belt snaps you will have major damage. I replaced the timing belt and water pump just after 90k miles. The tensioner was in good condition so I'll hold off on replacing that at the 200k mark. I personally would wait until the 90k mark before replacing it. Just like Remmy said, it depends on the environment you drive in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is an interference engine, so if the belt snaps you will have major damage. I replaced the timing belt and water pump just after 90k miles. The tensioner was in good condition so I'll hold off on replacing that at the 200k mark. I personally would wait until the 90k mark before replacing it. Just like Remmy said, it depends on the environment you drive in.
Don't take this the wrong way, but why in the world wouldn't you change the tensioner? I just spent the better part of two days replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler pulley. I couldn't ever imagine having to go back in there again. If you are going to replace the timing belt, then change everything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh none taken. In my experience I've never seen a Toyota hydrolic tensioner fail, and it was in great shape when I took it off. I completely understand replacing it all, it is a big job. When my truck is up for another timing belt replacement I'll be replacing it all. Belt, water pump, tensioner, idler, idler pully, cam seals, crank seal.... just didn't deem it necessary with only 90k miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I got my truck it was the first thing I did, at 112,000 miles. To my surprise the parts looked good enough to go another 20k+ miles. Glad I did it, it's peace of mind.

I'd suggest when you do it, do the complete job and do it right! That means include all the cam seals and main seal. Once you're done you'll never have to worry about it again.

75k miles seems a bit early but no harm in preventive maintenance. If it worries you that much you can take it in and have it checked. Chances are any shop would just try and scare you into having it replaced on the spot. They probably need the money, hell they might get you better deal this year as opposed to next year. $359 sounds awesome, ask for that deal!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to Heatwave…xduper…tundrunk….Remmy700P…johnston…..
Cmichtrd….sethticlees for your replies. This forum is terrific.

Markomann
Virginia Beach, VA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks....
Heatwave…xduper…tundrunk….Remmy700P…johnston…..
Cmichtrd….sethticlees for your replies. This forum is terrific!!

Markomann
Virginia Beach, VA

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just my own opinion you can wait untill 120,000 miles to replace necessary parts such as water pump, timing belt, tensioner and etc. since you dont put too many miles on this vehicle. I have an 01 4.7 Tundra, bought it new back in 01 and I been doing all the maintenance since then and the only time the vehicle been to the maintenance was because of the 02 sensor since it had a warranty before. Now i have almost 70,000 miles and planning to wait untill 120,000 to replace the timing belt and water pump. Since I'm a retired mil. I dont put much mileage on this vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Well if your not driving the truck that much, I would probably have the timing belt and waterpump replaced now than at a later date. Because you never know when its going to snap.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 02 Sequoia. What parts do I need to change the timing belt? I know about the water pump and belts. Anything else?

·
Registered
74 Posts
hey guys i've been reading through all these fourms lately trying to get a good timing belt kit and any advice on if its better to go to the dealership or to and independent shop. Heres my delima so far i've found the kits from 250-350 and can't get anyone to nail down a price on labor, but the dealership wants 1300 for parts and labor. Any ideas would be great thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey guys i've been reading through all these fourms lately trying to get a good timing belt kit and any advice on if its better to go to the dealership or to and independent shop. Heres my delima so far i've found the kits from 250-350 and can't get anyone to nail down a price on labor, but the dealership wants 1300 for parts and labor. Any ideas would be great thanks
Thats a lot. Ive been quoted at several places and its always run between $350-$450
I have yet to call my local dealer but I do recall my 95 taco only cost me $300 for a timing belt job at the dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I finally did mine at 149k for the first time. I bought my 00 Toyota Tundra V8 AWD, used at 132k and I was getting kind of nervous about the belt so I contacted the previous owner and she said she never done it. To be honest my belt looked perfectly fine.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,561 Posts
I finally did mine at 149k for the first time. I bought my 00 Toyota Tundra V8 AWD, used at 132k and I was getting kind of nervous about the belt so I contacted the previous owner and she said she never done it. To be honest my belt looked perfectly fine.
You can't tell the condition of a timing belt via visual inspection. It is the internal poly-fiber core that fails, not the outside rubber.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts