Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2004 Tundra AC, V8. Purchased from a friend who now has medical problems that cannot drive anymore. The truck was basically used for trips to our hunting club and errands, mileage 36,000 miles. Body is in good condition except for some dings, right rear quarter panel dented (maybe a pop out), and a rusty rear bumper which I received a new one yesterday to replace the old one. I had a mechanic look it over and fix some wiring that was chewed up by either squirrels or mice that also ate a big hunk out of the air filter. Also replaced all four tires, oil & lube, etc..
My question is: He never changed the timing belt in the 15 years of ownership---Should I have it replaced along with the water pump just to be safe on the road??

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Yes without question. Rubber degrades over time and you have an interference engine. If the belt lets go while your driving it you just destroyed your engine.

Reactions: LGL002

·
Registered
257 Posts
For sure on the timing belt. The water pump is up to you entirely but I would change it as well. Hardly any labor in comparison to doing it later separate from the timing belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies, I called our local Toyota dealer and they have an opening this week which I said put me down. I'll have it back by Saturday to go to the hunt club!
Thanks again!
Jack

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would definitely recommend changing the water pump when they change the timing belt. I had mine changed at 120,000 miles. No problems. It's usually recomnended at around the 100k mile range.

·
Registered
30 Posts
on 1st gen Sequoia, actual timing belt replacement recommendation is every 90k, would assume same for Tundra. I have 218000 on a 2002 Sequoia and have replaced it twice now. Each time I had them do the water pump while they already had everything out from in front of the engine anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had mine done... definetly use toyota parts... there's more in the job that just belt and water pump... there are tensioners and carriers in there with some bearings. Just ask the service manager to change every thing while their in there.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Just bought a 2004 Tundra AC, V8. Purchased from a friend who now has medical problems that cannot drive anymore. The truck was basically used for trips to our hunting club and errands, mileage 36,000 miles. Body is in good condition except for some dings, right rear quarter panel dented (maybe a pop out), and a rusty rear bumper which I received a new one yesterday to replace the old one. I had a mechanic look it over and fix some wiring that was chewed up by either squirrels or mice that also ate a big hunk out of the air filter. Also replaced all four tires, oil & lube, etc..
My question is: He never changed the timing belt in the 15 years of ownership---Should I have it replaced along with the water pump just to be safe on the road??
That's a tough one to answer. If it were me I would change it just because of its age. Rubber materials do start the failure process from age alone and because that engine is a interference engine that belts failure would cause a lot of damage.
Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
there is some bearings and pulleys in the area that need done at the same time. Make sure dealer does everything that could have issues in the area while torn apart.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On EBay for 2000-2004:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I always replace all of these parts when I dfo the timing belt. Better safe than sorry. One important factor. Ebay sells a lot of Chinese knock offs. do not use these parts or you will be sorry. I ended up with a Chinese water pump and after less than a thousand miles the hub on the water pump shaft came loose and walked the fan into the radiator. My wife was on the road to Las Vegas from San Diego and it is a long wait for AAA in the desert. Also got some chinese ignitions coils. I had had to replace one previously and figured while I was doing the timing belt I would replace them as well. Within two years every one of them failed. Now I only get Denso parts whenever possible or genuine Toyota.

·
Registered
98 Posts
True. I am not afraid of Aisin or Koyo or DENSO but other than Radiator and Hoses perhaps OEM/Japan-made is superior.
I will use all Toyota parts on that job from the timing Belt and Seals out. I already have most. If you order from Toyota online or preorder local the prices can be decent too.
Prob will reuse original solid radiator as that is the easiest later.
Why have to go in twice?
I hope the budget example was not taken as a recommend!

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is the kit I used

Aisin TKT-021 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EEYWKI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gCbcEbCS32D95

Everything looked correct, aisin packaging, mitsuboshi belt, I believe Koyo bearings. It was all identical to what I pulled off. Everything looked and felt extremely high quality and oem to me. I also got my thermostat on Amazon, a factory Toyota replacement. I got the radiator hoses oem from the dealer. Put a champion all aluminum 3 row radiator in a couple thousand miles after the rest of it.

I also used the toyota gasket sealer.

Genuine Toyota Fluid 00295-00103 Formed-in-Place Oil Pan Gasket - 3 oz. Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDDTV0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yIbcEbZYQXJZC

I haven’t had a problem since my timing belt job. Been happy with the parts I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts