Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am not sure if my 2003 4Runner has a belt or a chain. I called the dealership and asked for an estimate to replace the timing belt. They quoted me about $700.00. I then went to an independent shop and they quoted me about $580.00. I then went to another independent shop for a quote and was informed that the 2003 4Runner with a V6 has a chain, not a belt. Who is right, and how do I verify this information? The 4Runner has 85,000 miles on it, so if it is a belt I want to replace it ASAP. Thanks for any insight on this....and by the way, you really would think the dealer should know, but I don't trust them...

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
The 4.0L V6 has a chain. The 3.4L v6 that was used in the previous 4runner along with the 4.7 V8 are belt driven. I would be concerned about shops that do not have the correct information. I believe your owners manual should also state that or just call your local Toyota dealer and ask them.

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
DESCRIPTION
The 1GR-FE engine on the ’03 4Runner is a newly developed V6, 4.0-liter, 24-valve DOHC engine. This
engine has adopted the VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) system, ACIS (Acoustic Control
Induction System), and ETCS-i (Electronic Throttle Control System-intelligent). These control functions
have been optimized to further improve engine performance, fuel economy, and reduce exhaust emissions.
This engine has been made compact and lightweight through the adoption of an aluminum cylinder block
and plastic intake air chamber, fuel delivery pipe, and water inlet pipe.

It has a timing chain as RobXS has said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks, I appreciate the info. Bad part is, the dealer is one of the quotes I received to replace the BELT. Maybe I didn't explain to them fully that my particular 4Runner is a V6....anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I say call the first two places and ask them for a quote to change your muffler bearings. I bet they believe that you have them in there someplace. ;)

Drive safe...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts