Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7 V-8 with 75,000 miles. Should I replace the timing belt and water pump now or wait untill 90,000 miles?

Thanks,

Scoob

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7 V-8 with 75,000 miles. Should I replace the timing belt and water pump now or wait untill 90,000 miles?

Thanks,

Scoob

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was told time kills the belt as much (if not more) than mileage. I assume becasue of the low mileage you took short trips, that belt works much harder in stop and go traffic or when you tow or carry heavy loads. If you plan to keep the truck I would do it (along with water pump, tensioners, Orings, Antifreeze, hoses....etc). If that belt breaks, your engine might be toast.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
It's recommended to replace it at 90,000 miles or 72 months, so you're past it
time wise. I would replace it. This subject comes up quite a bit here and you'll
hear plenty of people chiming in saying they have 200,000 miles on the original
and that you'll be okay. I wouldn't listen to that. Maybe your will or won't last
that long. There's only one way to find out, and if you find out it won't last
that long it's going to cost you a new engine.

I replaced mine just prior to 90K miles and the 72 months and I feel a lot better
that I did. As was mentioned, time can cause deterioation. Good luck.

John

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
You should also try using the search feature if you haven't already. I know
some people have problems using it, but there's a lot of info on
the subject in this section that you might want to check out.

John

·
Registered
36 Posts
I replaced the timing belt at 90,000 and didn't replace the water pump. Put on another 57,000 on her and sold it. The guy who bought it hasn't done anything to it since buying from me over27 months ago!

·
Registered
146 Posts
i always do the water pump and timing belt components (tensioner, idler puleys, etc) anytime i do timing belts.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have the same exact truck and I also changed mine at 90k. I did go ahead and replace the water pump simply because it's basically right there and the theory is if they have to go back in and do it before you need another belt then it will cost you the same amount of money in labor and the part is not that expensive from what I remember. But hey, if your not going to keep it much past the belt change and the cost to do the pump is an issue then I probably wouldn't. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Thread moved to 1-Gen Tundra forum.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I was going to throw in my 2 cents but can't stomach the FORD/GMC animation advertisements at the top of the page and it slows my machine down so bad i think i will give up and just do a bathroom break every time i log into a new thread so it will be over with when i get back!:ballchain: Weather will have an affect on any ruber component but you can never tell when it will breakdown, myself i would not take the risk much past the mielage/TIME change intervals that Toyota has given us! Toyota Parts and Service

1 - 12 of 12 Posts