Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

>>> 1) Has anyone changed their Timing and Serpentine Belts? If so, How would I take the 2 Serpentine Belt off from "Comp. and Alt." and one from "Power Steering"? I know there should be a pully to yank to loosen the belts, but can't locate it. Is there any? Cause I know there is one in Timing Belt area. So would you say I could do the Serpentine Belt change w/o taking out the timing belt case cover?

>>> 2) Could I use Bosh "Platinum IR Fusion" Spark Plugs, or just stick with Iridim-Tipped Spark Pulgs?

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I must say ONLY use O/E spark plugs with any Toyota Engine.

From past experience and experimentation, I find that only Toyota Denso and NGK spark plugs have the correct specific "Heat Range" .

I have tried Bosch too and they were terrible. The engine was a pig. Driveability took a big hit.

Stay with Toyota when it comes to spark plugs. Only use what the book says to replace with. Either NGK or Denso brand. Iridium Tipped only if that's what it calls for.

LT:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Changing belts seems to be the forte of the stealership.

Changing plugs is easy but then you should know what you are doing (meaning not dropping/lossing any bolts), it takes 2/3 hrs to change plugs for vehicles that have the back plugs under the intake. You may have to take the intake manifold for accessing the rear plugs.!!!

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
With the exception of the Timing belt, I feel any DIY'er can change belts including any repair shop. I recommend bringing your own Dealer Bought Toyota belt(s) however. Tried many aftermarket belts, and don't like them one bit. They never last or come close to the life of a Denso/Toyota O/E belt.

The Timing belt I would bring to Toyota to do. Shop price from dealer to dealer and guarrantee that many related components will get replaced as part of the timing belt interval. I.E idler pulley bearing etc. generally a dealer part. So let the dealer do this work.

Sure it is $$$ repair. But it is par for the course at about 100K miles on a Toyota. Overall Toyotas are cheap to keep. But, certain service is required to mantain a Toyota well over 200K miles. Can't cut corners here.
Consider replacing the Water pump at this time too. Because of the amount of labor involved, the waterpump gets replaced "most" of the Time as a matter of course. It is right in there with the Timing belt. Only use a Toyota New or remaned Coolant pump.
I tried aftermarket rebuilt pumps and yu always lose.

LT:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
quote=LifeTech;627292]

The Timing belt I would bring to Toyota to do. Shop price from dealer to dealer and guarrantee that many related components will get replaced as part of the timing belt interval. I.E idler pulley bearing etc. generally a dealer part. So let the dealer do this work.

LT:)[/quote]

What are the parts you recomend that should be changed with the timing belt? I called 3 different dealers in tennesse and asked about the idler pulley bearing; they said I have to request extra items like that becuase its not part of the change. So what might the etc. mentioned be? Just curious because they dont seem like the parts "inspection" around the timing belt ever turns up anything. :ts:

also, When do you recomend the serpentine belt change? about the same time?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does the 2004 - I4 model run on Timing belt or timing chain?? Last time I took mine in for a 60K service and the service advisor was trying to get me to get the timing belt change as well, I been reading up and most said the I4 version run on chain with doesn't need replacing unless problem with it.
Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts