Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the recommended mileage to do your timing chain and water pump? Is it something you can do yourself or is it recommended to have a shop do it? Also what is a ballpark price range for do it yourself and for shop work?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Complete kit w/ tensioner, mitsu belt, koyo bearings, aisin pump and gaskets/etc
Aisin TKT 021 Engine Timing Belt Component Kit | eBay

same one on amazon: but more $
Amazon.com: Aisin TKT-021 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive

it's involved in terms of dis and re-assembly..theres a few threads on here, and some great you tube videos that can get you thru it.. the only problem that scares me is if there is any coolant leaks, its a ***** to get back into fix (pump gasket, thermostat, etc)

I've heard/read 600-800 total at a shop, not sure what just the labor is tho.. I bought the complete kit and will most likely have a mechanic do it, or find someone to hire to help me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doc I appreciate the input! I know my way around a wrench pretty good, but this job scares the hell out of me. The Aisin kit is a very reasonable price, what do you think about the quality of that kit? If it were only 600 for a shop to do it, that might be the best route to go. I'm at 91K so I need to get it done soon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi ColeJones,
I just happen to be in the same boat your in, but my truck has 160,00 miles,
I went to the dealer & 3 reputable good local shops here in NC, & the prices were from $960 to $1180.
Did check with a friend that works at one of the local shops & he told me they use the "Aisin" parts. In fact, all 3 estimates quotes had the Aisin kit #
I have did a few (3) timing belts, 1 Ford & 2 Nissan (All V-6) & was ready to tackle this one, so I ordered the kit & got ready for a weekend install.
Then I hurt my back so I put it on the back burner, I check all 3 local shops to install since I had the parts, & no one would do it unless I paid them the mark-up they got on the parts, which after getting itemized estimates found that all 3 were charging cost + over 100 percent or over double for the parts.
Well, I have talked the "friend" to help me & it looks like it'll be about 2 weeks.
He was a mechanic at the dealer for 15 years before moving to the other shop.
If I had a lift I might tackle it now, but I'll wait until the back is better.
There is a guy here that has a mobile lift that I might use.
I just replaced the carrier bearing & crawling around under the truck didn't do me any good.
David

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Last time I did it, I picked up Toyota parts on a web forum deal through Carson Toyota, and paid a dealer to take care of it. OEM parts, 1-year warranty. Could do it myself in the garage, might next time around, but at the time easier to pay someone else to take care of it since the truck was my DD. I might send it out next time as well, just for the peace of mind regarding a job properly done and the warranty. It was under 900, parts and labor.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well. I offered the dealer & local shop $500 to do it with my parts & got no takers
That would have put my cost about $750, but no one jumped on it,
the locals still want that $450 parts cost
Looks like We'll be doing it here
David

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just changed out my timing belt, water pump, radiator hoses, serpentine belt, thermostat and coolant for less than $400. I ordered all my parts through Rockauto. Get the Aisin timing belt/water pump kit, Aisin supplies Toyota with their water pump kits. This was the first time I've changed a timing belt/water pump and was able to get everything back together without extra parts & no leaks. Label everything so you know where it's supposed to go back on.

If you plan on attempting this project, make sure you do your research thoroughly before hand and make sure you have all the required tools. Hint: an air ratchet will make the job a lot quicker.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
What is the recommended mileage to do your timing chain and water pump? Is it something you can do yourself or is it recommended to have a shop do it? Also what is a ballpark price range for do it yourself and for shop work?
FYI... Our motors doesn't use a chain. If it did you wouldn't have to replace it. As far as when, I did mine at around 100K. Cost was around $300. I did the labor myself. Asking if it's something you can do, is an open ended question and depends on how much elbow grease you are willing to put in and if you have the appropriate tools to get the job done. The hardest part of the labor is removing the crank pulley bolt. You need a tool to hold the crank pulley and have a breaker bar to loosen it. Everything else can be done with basic sockets and tools

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You need a tool to hold the crank pulley and have a breaker bar to loosen it.
A tool to hold your crank? Or a crank to hold your tool? :beatsme:

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
Use an air impact, makes the job easy.
Depends on how much torque it has. After 90k-100k miles, a 1/2" impact with 150-250 ft lbs of torque doesn't cut it.

A tool to hold your crank? Or a crank to hold your tool? :beatsme:
Tool to hold the crank pulley while using a 3 ft breaker bar to loosen the bolt.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Just had mine done. Toyota wanted $960 total out the door to do it. Total parts cost was $254. (water pump, Timing Belt, I Gal Super long life coolant, 2 o rings, didnt to the lower crank seal) Complete a$$ raping. Thing is my truck only has 58,600 miles on it and water pump started to leak. Though it was wise to do both even though timing belt probably didnt need it yet, Age wise it was 8 yrs old.
Had a guy do it that works as a mechanic for the state. He charged me $200 labor. Total cost was $454.

·
Registered
70 Posts
just make sure you go to a shop that knows how to do timing belts. ive heard horror stories of people trying to cut corners and have joe blow do it and ended up with a bad engine. ive done over 10 plus toyota v6-v8 timing belts jobs and by fair toyota next to honda are the easiest to do compared to some Quad cam setups.

there is a special tool made that bolts to the crank and allows a 1/2 breaker bar to hold the crank with you try to bust the crank bolt off with another breaker bar. ive only had to use that tool once other times i just remove the radiator so i have enough space for my big impact gun and zap it off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Good info in this thread. I'm building up the courage to tackle my 3.4's timing belt/water pump/t-stat, but im going to add the radiator, hoses, front cam seals, and serpentine belt to the list. Any other items that you all recommend doing while the motor is in this state of disassembly?

Looks like I should spring for an air compressor and ratchet too for this job..

·
Registered
10 Posts
For 5FVZETundra,

I have replaced the timing belt twice on my 3.4 2000 Tundra. The job is very straight forward. I recommend following the directions found in the factory shop manual. The first replacement was done at about 100K (belt only). The second was done at about 170K when the water pump started to leak (gasket not pump). At the 170K change I went ahead and replaced the timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump and gasket all with aisin brand parts. I did not replace the radiator hoses (still solid not soft nor brittle) I did replace the coolant. I now have 177K+ miles and everything works good. Having access to air tools really helps especially to remove the crankshaft pulley.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, I just got around to changing the timing belt. 6 hours, and a couple mistakes. Not too bad. I did find out that I did not have to completely remove the ac compressor. Only the front 2 bolts. Thank to everyone on here with advise. I bough the vehicle with 70K on it and it has 91K now. So timing belt time. Took it apart and found it had been replaced once before. More info to follow.

Dan

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Here is something to consider, a warranty. I just did my own timing belt/waterpump (125k) and a week later I have water seeping from the weep hole. I now have to tear it down again and find out if the new waterpump failed or something else is going on. I used an Aisin kit from a 100% ebay seller. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind tearing it back down, (wish I didn't have to), I have the tools and know how, but someone who is not a good mechanic might consider paying a reputable shop so there is a warranty to go with the work.
There are some good videos on YouTube if you attempt this project.
Crank bolt: impact wrench won't work, the bolt is torque to 181ft/lbs. If an impact wrench works the bolt has been removed and put back on without proper torque, just sayin. I use the bump trick to loosen it and have a strap wrench (goes around the steel shoulder of harmonic balancer) to torque it.
I will follow this post, in a few weeks, with an update of what my issue was.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, I just got around to changing the timing belt. 6 hours, and a couple mistakes. Not too bad. I did find out that I did not have to completely remove the ac compressor. Only the front 2 bolts. Thank to everyone on here with advise. I bough the vehicle with 70K on it and it has 91K now. So timing belt time. Took it apart and found it had been replaced once before. More info to follow.

Dan
Well when I did the timing belt I thought the old belt was off one tooth when I took it off. It was hard to tell because I had removed the tensioner before noticing it. The truck had a ping when under hard loads and fuel mileage was about 12-13 MPG. Post belt, no more pinging and MPG is 16. I don't know if this was the cause...... Anyone?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Could be. My timing was off for quite some time, and it didn't idle well. Once I got the timing aligned to the correct line (and not the "T"), everything ran more smoothly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts