Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched other post and confused. I also posted this question and had no relpy. Soooo, 2010 Tundra with back glass and side tinted, what is the % from factory. Probably want a little darker but not sure what I 'll need to put on the back to match the front. If someone can help Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Any good tint place should be able to match the tint to factory.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The factor uses for what i have herd 32% some tint place can match it not all i got 35% on and it is close enough for me and the cops dont bust my balls about it.

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
30% isn't close to a match...

Mine is 17%, which my tinter (a good friend) said would be the closest you could get to matching. This isn't a great pic, but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
15% matched my factory tint perfectly!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got my rear windows super dark.. limo-tint dark.. keeps the interior cooler and the sun off the rear passengers.. hard as heck to see out of though..

·
Registered
823 Posts
Huh good to know looks like i was way off then.. Good to know though. 15% is dark as all hell i know i had my other car 20% all the way around and i couldnt see out at night i had to drive with the windows down at night sux durring the winter.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Tinting is fun but......................John Law doesn't agree. Be sure you are legal.

You wouldn't want to break the law,:rolleyes: but you might look into tinting the sides and front.
Makes a world of difference. Cab is cooler, you need sunglasses way less, cuts glare and dash reflection and there is less chance of the dash cracking.:tu:

And drive the speed limit. You won't attract attention and that it important because the states desperately need money and that is the main reason for traffic enforcement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When it comes to tint, I say go dark or go home. Of course, some places are a lot more anal about tint than others. I've had illegal levels of tint for years. I currently have 5% all around and 35% on the front windshield. And the reduction in eye strain and cabin heat are way worth it to me. But I live in NV....and cops don't care that much, because they all have illegal tint levels on their personal cars too. :p

KiL

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
As you've seen in this post, it's not necessarily the darkness that matches, some have 15% some have 35%. Front windows are tricky because light coming in from the windshield makes it look lighter than it is. You have to look at the actual tint. Different films can look silver or gray due to the metalization. I have 35% and it is a good match, and legal as well. Like the first reply said, A good tint place should be able to match it. I'm using Formula One tint, I went ahead and got the premium product since I olny needed the fronts done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When it comes to tint, I say go dark or go home. Of course, some places are a lot more anal about tint than others. I've had illegal levels of tint for years. I currently have 5% all around and 35% on the front windshield. And the reduction in eye strain and cabin heat are way worth it to me. But I live in NV....
Definitley a locaiton thing. Tinted Windshield will get you impounded around here. Any level!

I had car once that had previously been tinted pretty dark tint (35% fronts I think) and was pulled over multiple times for that. Here in WI, a 50% tint is legal max for fronts, and 35% for rear. How they Toyota stuff can be 17% I don't know, but that's pretty much illegal around here.

I'm considering to do a 50% up front, because I drive out to the desert a lot, but I want to remain legal, but also hated the dark tint in the car I had. Having to roll down your window at night to see stuff on your sides was no fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The rear tint is 20%, it is pretty much an industry standard. That being said, the factory tint doesn't have any of the protective property's that aftermarket quality tint does such as UV ray protection as well as thermal protection. So depending on what your state allows or you can get away with, my favorite combo is 40% on the windsheild(yes the front one), 20% on front side windows, and 20% over the factory rear windows and that will equal to 5% percent/limo tint, and offer your interior a break from the sun beating down on it yet still allow you to see out the front windows.

I use to have 30% on the windsheild and 17% the rest of the way around on a previous vehicle that was driven all over the country and the only place I ever had a problem with it was driving through Iowa, but the DOD sticker on the windsheild got me out of those tickets.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The rear tint is 20%, it is pretty much an industry standard. That being said, the factory tint doesn't have any of the protective property's that aftermarket quality tint does such as UV ray protection as well as thermal protection. So depending on what your state allows or you can get away with, my favorite combo is 40% on the windsheild(yes the front one), 20% on front side windows, and 20% over the factory rear windows and that will equal to 5% percent/limo tint, and offer your interior a break from the sun beating down on it yet still allow you to see out the front windows.

I use to have 30% on the windsheild and 17% the rest of the way around on a previous vehicle that was driven all over the country and the only place I ever had a problem with it was driving through Iowa, but the DOD sticker on the windsheild got me out of those tickets.
I find 50% on the windshield works well for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts