Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to do a tint strip on the front windshield and just realized there is a 12" or so area surrounding the rearview mirror that contains black dots. They are on the inside of the windshield and more concentrated nearer the dead center of the rearview mirror. Can these be removed and if not, won't they hinder proper adhesion of tint applied?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, don't remove it.
look in the double cab thread, page 2.
you will see my tundra with the tint on the windshield.
you will be fine. although i had it done. i used to do tint
myself. but now, i let the pro's do it.
it shouldn't be a problem for anyone that does it.
gorilla

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
couldn't see it real well. Is there any way you can post one please?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Ask a couple different tint shops what they suggest / think. There are limited varieties that seem to work OVER those dots. Most wont stick well over time.

Another option that your tint guy might suggest is for him to cut the new tint strip around the dot area. Regardless, any PROFESSIONAL tint guy should have a better answer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it an hour ago to a guy that is reputable down the road in Oldsmar. He did a strip without removing the bubbles/dots and went right over them. He said he's done quite a few just like this and that it wont be an issue. $40

I dont see any bubbling near any of the dots, so at least the initial application went well. I've seen sometimes where it take 2 or 3 days for initial bubbling to vanish...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Great. Get a pic or two up for the next guy. Add some "tags" to your thread after adding pix, so it will be easier for someone to find it in the future with the TS search engine.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, if you have any bubbles. you can take a pin. & pop the bubble.
& use a credit card, or any squeege hand tool to get the bubbles out.
many times they don't go away.
but if you do it right away. you can get the bubbles out without issue.
you can do it later on when it dries, only by using a needle with water.
to re-activate the glue & than smooth it out. but i'd rather do it asap.
gorilla

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Regardless, any PROFESSIONAL tint guy should have a better answer.
...:amen:...:D

I dont see any bubbling near any of the dots, so at least the initial application went well. I've seen sometimes where it take 2 or 3 days for initial bubbling to vanish...
FWIW, I've had the tint strip on my windshield for over a year and it hasn't bubbled at all.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
When safelite replaced my stock glass last week the new windshield has a much wider and darker tint band at the top than the stock did.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
^ thats almost worth filing an ins. claim for. had the dots on upper rear window my mustang. and tinted over it with 5%, then later 20%. bubbling wasn't the issue. it was the milky look to it because the tint wasn't fully bonding to the glass inbetween the dots (trust me, take a look at rear windows of all the 94-04 mustangs running around with rear tint). some with mustangs just didn't tint the top for this vary issue, some painted the top, others installed black vinyl across the top. would like to see a tundra or two in person before I take the plunge so let me know when you are passing through St. Louis so I can meet up with ya.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts