Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tinted my third brake light and taillights today. While they look good on the other trucks I've seen on this sight and cardomain, I haven't seen them on my color. So I got some vht niteshades and dove right in. Now I'm torn. Not sure if I like them or if I want to go back to stock. Maybe sell these or trade them to someone who wants it done. Sorry the pics aren't better. The weather has sucked here this weekend and isn't going to change much this week. Comments welcome.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well the nightshades stuff used to be the way to do it back in the 90s...hows the finish? is it smooth like the ones everyone else is doing with tinted clear? is it smooth like the finish of the paint? thats the look they should have...i bet they have a slightly rough flat black look to them right? they appear to shine brightly enough...but technically any of that is a no no but u know that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks socal. Barney, you are absolutely right about the finish. They are slightly flat black. That's why my wife doesn't like them. Three coats of clear and they are still flat. Had they turned out with a shine the feeelings may be different. Too late now I suppose. I only did 2 coats of vht so the light still shows through well. The plan was to get brighter bulbs or leds but like I said
not sure if I like them enough to keep them. Maybe they'll grow on me. We'll see.

·
Registered
39 Posts
get some polishing compound, read the directions on the tub and once you put about 2-3 coats of polish on them they will look shiny. Did mine the same way back in 07, and they are still shiny today. I will get you a pic tomorrow in the daylight.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
is there a reason why the back lights can't be seperated and insides painted black ala BHLM?
yes. cause they dont come apart like that. the "glue" holding them together is different and the plastic will crack or break if flexed too much. the adhesive on tails is more of the type that cements them together via melting the pieces to form a bond..the sealant for headlights is different.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Well, the outside would still be bright red, but I suppose you could do it anyway. lol
it would actually look good IMO. it would give it a dark smoke look since nothign inside would reflect liek the chrome does. plus the backup light and turn signal area would look great.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I used some of the VHT on my hellas and they look great imo.
I only used about two coats to keep it light. Although my finnish was pretty smooth but just to make it better i used some turtle wax and plished them. Now they are nice and shiny and soft like the body paint.
There was a slight dim to the lights, but since they are led, they are still far brighter than oem
I will try to post pics... once i get 'er clean lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
yes. cause they dont come apart like that. the "glue" holding them together is different and the plastic will crack or break if flexed too much. the adhesive on tails is more of the type that cements them together via melting the pieces to form a bond..the sealant for headlights is different.

Trust these words as I was the first to try and fail. Thankfully I just ruined one of the lights!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took a few pics today while the weather was nice.

I'm starting to like them more. However, they're just not shiny like I was hoping.I did pick up some Meguiars polishing compound and work it into the driver's side light, but no change. Maybe the finish has something to do with the type of clear coat I used? Nothing special, just a duplicolor acrylic enamel. The only other clear I saw at the store was a lacquer. Anymore suggestions?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Here are a couple pics of mine to compare. I had a shop paint and clear coat them. The pics of the headlights is how the Lamin-X smoked film looks.

Honestly, if I could do it over again, I would go with the Lamin-X smoked film like my headlights have so there are no scratches, etc. Mine shine, especially after buffing them.

I think that you did a great job; just get that shine going.......

Attachments

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I took a few pics today while the weather was nice.

I'm starting to like them more. However, they're just not shiny like I was hoping.I did pick up some Meguiars polishing compound and work it into the driver's side light, but no change. Maybe the finish has something to do with the type of clear coat I used? Nothing special, just a duplicolor acrylic enamel. The only other clear I saw at the store was a lacquer. Anymore suggestions?
first off, those would look friggin sweet on a flat black truck haha. no really, they would.

do you have a buffer? like a porter cambel buffer/polisher or something? might try to actually use a buffer to polish them out...if u dont have a PC type buffer, u can get a polishing wheel for a power drill. if u have a coat or two of clear u should be able to polish it enough to make it shine. our benz got hit by a tire tread a while back and besides the dent that i was able to push out, the clear came off leaving only the base coat. i used a small polishing wheel on the dremmel and made that shine like the rest. of course a week later it got smashed all to shitt in a 4 car accident but thats beside the point. my point is i think u can polish it if you use a higher speed polisher than u could do just with a handjob hehe i said handjob hehe:devil:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Maybe its because u didnt apply more coats. When i did mine, my friend was also doing his H2's. He tried to keep it with a light coat but we noticed that when u apply less coats, theres less shine. On mine i started with one coat then progressed to about three... yet still light enough i can see some red w/out lights on.
I didnt even use clear only turtle wax polish. I also tried Mother's plastic polish, which didnt do a thing as TW, the difference was noticible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have a salsa red crewmax all so and tail lights half tinted (red part) looks alot cleaner IMO

1 - 20 of 29 Posts