Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tips before S/C + new pedal & tranny issues

I'll start off by saying that I finally paid my truck off, NO MORE NOTES!!!! Now that I have all that extra money laying around it's time for my supercharger and getting this badboy lowered. It's been hard coming here and seeing everyone else with theirs but I can finally join the club! I'm just gonna toss a bunch of different info in here and please feel free to give your input.

I've been searching around for a while and no one beats the prices posted in the link posted in JohnnyHotNuts thread. I'll repost in case someone doesn't feel like searching:
TRD Parts Center

PTR29-34070 Main assembly $2,508.00
PTR29-34100 Tundra Fit kit $2,128.00
Estimated Shipping $ 150.00
Install quote by my dealer $ 897.97
Grand total of S/C inc install $5683.97

My trucks going to the dealer in the morning for the gas pedal fix and some weird issues with the tranny. Of course the tranny magically stopped acting weird yesterday after doing it for the past month....hopefully they can fix it anyway :dry3d:

When the dealer gets done with my warranty issues and I'm satisfied with the way the tranny works I'll be heading back to the bank that gave me the original load for my truck. Getting a 7k loan for 36months at basically $210 a month. That extra $1300 is going towards the lowering kit which I found for what I think is a good deal at the following site:
StreetPros.com - America’s Automotive Supermarket - Product Information - McGaughys - Economy Lowering Kit - 2" Front / 4" Rear
McGaughys 2/4 deluxe kit $348.30
Both rear shocks $ 86.30
Estimated shipping $ 50.00
Install by local shop $150.00
Grand total for lowering $634.60

Then the remaining $600 is going towards either an electric exhaust cutout, bed cover, darker window tint, or whatever good idea yall come up with.
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

·
Registered
315 Posts
Install quote by my dealer $ 897.97
Seems a little high compared to what others paid for the install. I was quoted $750-850 (different dealers) and other on this forum paid >$600.
(*although this may be because they purchased their units from the dealer doing the install and this could also be a factor, because....lets face it....that is a really good price for the SC and kit).

I would assure them they dont need to pull the front bumper cover or drain the fluid from the block. This alone will save an hour off the install time and would see if they (or another dealer) would beat this price if you were wanting to save some bucks.

ALSO.....

familiarize yourself with the install manual....hose routing....clips....wire harness mods...ect. There are some sort cuts a person could do with the install that would still work but be sloppy. I would inspect their work to see if they took any easy ways out.

You wont be disappointed with the SC.

~JH

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I gotta stop reading these forums, cause everytime I see another S/C thread I just want to rip a hole in my wallet....

+1 with Jonny you could get a better deal on labor me thinks.
Afterwards get some drag radials and head on over to the nearest track.. Let see if we can get a Tundra in the mid 12's!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer just called and said truck was ready to go and that they did some "upgrades" on the tranny. I'll be picking it up this evening and see how it runs. And on a side note I almost traded my truck in on the new 2011 Mustang GT, Ford has really stepped their game up big time! After a weekend of thinking about it I knew I'd miss my truck too much lol

Girlfriend asked me about the s/c "Do you really need that?" my answer "uh, yeah" that's how you do it brothers, no :ballchain: around here haha

Seems a little high compared to what others paid for the install. I was quoted $750-850 (different dealers) and other on this forum paid >$600.
(*although this may be because they purchased their units from the dealer doing the install and this could also be a factor, because....lets face it....that is a really good price for the SC and kit).

I would assure them they dont need to pull the front bumper cover or drain the fluid from the block. This alone will save an hour off the install time and would see if they (or another dealer) would beat this price if you were wanting to save some bucks.

ALSO.....

familiarize yourself with the install manual....hose routing....clips....wire harness mods...ect. There are some sort cuts a person could do with the install that would still work but be sloppy. I would inspect their work to see if they took any easy ways out.

You wont be disappointed with the SC.

~JH
I'll call around and see what kinda deals I can get, have 5 dealers within 100 miles but Yokem Toyota is about the only one I trust. Always got good service from them. And it is just a quote so hopefully it'll be less. And that is a helluva price on the S/C, if not for it being almost 1500 less than retail I prolly wouldn't get it.

I'll let them know about the front bumper and block, we'll see if they listen :frustrated3d:

I'll be taking the install manual to bed and reading it like my life depends on it lol Can't wait to finally be boosted!

I gotta stop reading these forums, cause everytime I see another S/C thread I just want to rip a hole in my wallet....

+1 with Jonny you could get a better deal on labor me thinks.
Afterwards get some drag radials and head on over to the nearest track.. Let see if we can get a Tundra in the mid 12's!!
What's an additional $150 for 3 years? Go for it! Just make sure the old lady doesn't know or :angrywife:

Yeah mid 12s would be nice but that won't come til I pay this loan off and get my next one which will be for new wheels and gripper tires, oh and lt headers! Saw someone here got 12.7 which is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well got the truck back and drove it around a bit. For starters I don't like the gas pedal, feels "mushy" for lack of a better word. And also more sensitive, not to mention they hacked an inch off the bottom of the pedal wtf. As far as the tranny goes it seems to shift more smoothly but it still has the "knocking" when coming to a stop and accelerating at low speeds, just not quite as bad. Needless to say it's going back asap, didn't drop 25k on this truck to have the tranny go out in 3 years.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Girlfriend asked me about the s/c "Do you really need that?" my answer "uh, yeah" that's how you do it brothers, no :ballchain: around here haha
You said girlfriend!! It will be a different game if you marry her. Good luck with the "uh yeah" then!:p

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You said girlfriend!! It will be a different game if you marry her. Good luck with the "uh yeah" then!:p
I'll just give her the "I'm the man!" line then and all will be well HAHAHA!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I'll call around and see what kinda deals I can get, have 5 dealers within 100 miles but Yokem Toyota is about the only one I trust. Always got good service from them. And it is just a quote so hopefully it'll be less. And that is a helluva price on the S/C, if not for it being almost 1500 less than retail I prolly wouldn't get it.
I'm curious who you usually deal with up there. I talked with Bill the other day and he was a dik! I hate that I always know more about the truck than they do. I have talked with Gary a couple of times and he isn't that bad. I have tried to get things installed there before and was told that if you don't buy it from them they won't install it, Period. Not even tires, so you might want to call and ask about that. Anyway, good luck man and it's good to see someone else from North Louisiana.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to see a fellow Louisianian here too! :beavbutt:

I'm curious who you usually deal with up there. I talked with Bill the other day and he was a dik! I hate that I always know more about the truck than they do. I have talked with Gary a couple of times and he isn't that bad.
I've talked to Gary a few times and like you said he's okay. Waiting on him to call me back right now actually. And I guess I should say that in the past on my dads truck, which was about 5 years ago, they took really good care of him. This is the first time I've taken my truck to them, I suppose a lot can change in that time.

I have tried to get things installed there before and was told that if you don't buy it from them they won't install it, Period. Not even tires, so you might want to call and ask about that. Anyway, good luck man and it's good to see someone else from North Louisiana.
Wow didn't know that and hadn't mentioned to em that I wasn't buy the SC from them. Thanks for the heads up! Gary mentioned they've done a few SC installs but couldn't tell me how many. I may need to look else where. Have you had good experience with John Harvey?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been calling around and it seems the dealers around here claim that If I buy the SC else where and they install it that I lose my warranty. Wtf kinda **** is that, sounds like a way for them to try and make more profit by forcing people to buy it from them. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
TRD parts that you install yourself come with a 12 month, 12K warranty.
If any Toyota dealers installs that same part, then I am pretty sure
that it has the 3 year, 36K warranty.
I would be finding an honest and reputable dealer, seems like the ones
that you have talked to are p*ssed because you are not buying the
part from them. So hard to find a decent dealer.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Been calling around and it seems the dealers around here claim that If I buy the SC else where and they install it that I lose my warranty. Wtf kinda **** is that, sounds like a way for them to try and make more profit by forcing people to buy it from them. Anyone know if this is true?
I hear you man we have some very crappy dealerships around here! I suppose you could always take a road trip to a good dealership somewhere. If I were spending that kind of money on my truck I would be willing to drive to a good dealership somewhere. Maybe some guys that have the s/c can recommend one of those. Oh and I have never dealt with John Harvey Toyota but I'm sure they'll feed you the same garbage! Like I said Yokem wouldn't even install the tires I bought from TireRack. Total garbage!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TRD parts that you install yourself come with a 12 month, 12K warranty.
If any Toyota dealers installs that same part, then I am pretty sure
that it has the 3 year, 36K warranty.
I would be finding an honest and reputable dealer, seems like the ones
that you have talked to are p*ssed because you are not buying the
part from them. So hard to find a decent dealer.
I'm driving the truck up there tomorrow to get the pedal fixed again and the weird tranny issue. I'll be asking them again and wanting a better reason this time. The place I'm wanting to buy the SC from is actually a Toyota dealer in Florida so it's not like its from some joe blow off ebay. Stupid freaking salesmen and dealerships.

I hear you man we have some very crappy dealerships around here! I suppose you could always take a road trip to a good dealership somewhere. If I were spending that kind of money on my truck I would be willing to drive to a good dealership somewhere. Maybe some guys that have the s/c can recommend one of those. Oh and I have never dealt with John Harvey Toyota but I'm sure they'll feed you the same garbage! Like I said Yokem wouldn't even install the tires I bought from TireRack. Total garbage!
Yeah I may end up having to do that. I called John Harvey just to see, they quoted me 9k for the SC not including installation...his commercials are annoying as hell btw. Guy did say they'd install it if I bought from someone else but that I'd lose my warranty. I'd like to see some documentation stating that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
do a search here and you'll find answer to your querry.in a nutshell,
if dealer installed,warranty is parts and labor for 3/36000 or till oem factory expires.
if installed by anyone but dealer,warranty is on parts only for 12 months/12000 only.
the place of purchase has no influence on warranty coverage by toyota as long as seller is toyota approved.
your dealer like most is a prick so i therefore recommend you go somewhere else.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I'm driving the truck up there tomorrow to get the pedal fixed again and the weird tranny issue. I'll be asking them again and wanting a better reason this time. The place I'm wanting to buy the SC from is actually a Toyota dealer in Florida so it's not like its from some joe blow off ebay. Stupid freaking salesmen and dealerships.

Yeah I may end up having to do that. I called John Harvey just to see, they quoted me 9k for the SC not including installation...his commercials are annoying as hell btw. Guy did say they'd install it if I bought from someone else but that I'd lose my warranty. I'd like to see some documentation stating that.
Maybe you should contact corporate in regards to this. Seems to me if you buy the s/c from a liscened vendor and the parts are genuine new toyota parts, they have no right to void the warranty.
Maybe another option, if this is true, is to extend the area in which to search and get some quotes on price bought and installed. What about Sparks Toyota?? Although I think they are in SC and that is kind of far. There has to be a dealer in Texas somewhere that would give a good price plus install, Texas usually has lower prices on a lot of stuff. I'm sorry about your delima and the crap dealers we have here. If you do have to travel to have it done, you will get some time to drive it on the way home :devil:. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
240 Posts
When I was going to buy my s/c I was going to order it from Sparks and have my dealer do the install. They said since it was from another dealership that there is no change in the warranty.

I ended up just getting the s/c from my local dealer cause there were all over my nuts about me ordering it from them and they matched Spark's price at the time. I have no idea if they get some deal or recognition or something if you order it from them, but man...they did everything to make sure i ordered it from them and let them do the install. I didnt' mind since it saved me $$$...but it was weird.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just left the dealer, they treated me well. They are going to order a new torque converter and gas pedal. Should be in sometime next week and they will need to keep the truck a couple of days. Talked to the parts guy while I was waiting and he said they'd match the price of the SC online if I printed it out! He said who ever I talked to yesterday was just trying to get commissions our something. Also stated they've done 3 or 4 installs before. If the tranny works out ill be getting the SC from Yokem.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update
Dealer called me today, the parts came in. Dropping the truck off with them tomorrow. Hoping it all goes well and fixes my issues!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just wanted to say Congrats on the payoff - mine is next month - my wife cant wait

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to say Congrats on the payoff - mine is next month - my wife cant wait
Thanks, it's a nice feeling. I bet she's expecting you to spend more money on her after that haha :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts