Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never done brakes. Ive been one of the chumps that have gone to the local brake shop and paid the ridiculous amount of $400 for my brake pads to be changed just because my knowledge lacked on how to do this myself. This time I decided to give it a go.

I read up on past posts about how to do it, but I wasnt 100% sure until I just got out there and jumped in.

Things I Learned

-I am not quick at doing brakes. The was a learning curve and even though most people here felt it 'should take 15 minutes or youre doing it wrong'... It took me longer than that.

-A M8x1.25 bolt is a a life saver when it comes to removing the rotor (I had to, mine were warped)! No need to pound on the rotors with a mallet, just a few turns of the bolt, and they popped right off! Not bad for a $1.12 tool at any hardware store.

-A 'Mityvac' automotive brake bleeding kit is pretty awesome too! I got some air in my lines (yea yea yea so I may have done 1 part wrong..) and this worked great to help bleed them when you dont have a buddy to push the pedal down.

-Compress the brake pistons one side at a time while they are still around the rotor. Some may think this common knowledge, but for those of us that are new to this, it took a bit to figure out. So, compress one side, pull old pad, put in new, compress other side, pull old pad, put in new.

And just for the sake of info, my truck had 41,339 miles on it when I decided to do this. Rotors were warped from towing a boat/race car on trailers that didnt have brakes. I took my rotors to a local auto parts store, Carquest, to have them turned, and they did both for $25 total. Toyota wanted $80 for the pair and when I called for a quote, they stated that no one had ever brought in their rotors to have this done so they were unsure as to how much they should charge.. $80 to put my rotors on a machine, eh? I also bought front pads from Toyota (its their 'front pad kit') for about $84+ tax. As stated before, the M8x1.25 bolt was $1.12.

Here are a couple of pictures of my pads with their 41k miles w/ towing:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You probably could have gotten another 10k out of those, but you did say the rotors were warped so might as well go fresh all the way around. Congrats on joining the DIY world, it's not as hard as it looks.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. The only reason I did pads was because I had the calipers off and the rotors pulled. I just figured, might as well do it while its all apart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts