Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK got a 07 Tundra double cab (old access cab) on the door it states "30psi in front" and "33psi in the rear".....the tires state on the side "max psi 44"...the tires look low, any reccomendations????? thanks, CSM-H

·
Registered
479 Posts
The 44psi is the maximum pressure allowed for the tire,while the 30/33 is the recommended pressure for use on this vehicle.I personally am using 35psi on all four corners with the 275/55x20s.With 30psi in the front,the front end seems to wallow in corners.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK got a 07 Tundra double cab (old access cab) on the door it states "30psi in front" and "33psi in the rear".....the tires state on the side "max psi 44"...the tires look low, any reccomendations????? thanks, CSM-H
I'm running 38 front 36 rear, and will pump up to the max 44 when the bed is loaded, when towing or when autocrossing. This ought to start somethin'.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
tire psi marked on side of tire is a maximum cold tire psi, this has everything to do with weight added to vehicle and be it passenger weight or cargo weight and should be increased if the payloads increase! If you are not carrying extra weight why would you wanta compromise tire wear? If you run max PSI and no extra weight you will cause premature tire wear, will it be noticable? not for a while but over a long period yes it will!:)

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tire psi marked on side of tire is a maximum cold tire psi, this has everything to do with weight added to vehicle and be it passenger weight or cargo weight and should be increased if the payloads increase! If you are not carrying extra weight why would you wanta compromise tire wear? If you run max PSI and no extra weight you will cause premature tire wear, will it be noticable? not for a while but over a long period yes it will!:)
I do understand....I have no intent of running max PSI, I was concerned with the low end and the tires appearence.....Low tire pressure (aka Explorer) and Firestone are all over this issue...thanks for the response, CSM-H

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Forget what the door says, and what pressure other people are running also. There's no indication that they are running the exact same tires as you, with the exact same model Tundra (same weight) as you, and with the same payload as you. Go by what the tire's state on them, then adjust up or down from there for your specific needs.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I allways bump mine up a couple PSI F&B from required cold inflation Psi's and call it good. Thing is ya gotta just check the PSI more than once a year!! Tire Tech - Air Pressure – Correct, Underinflated and Overinflated these guys have a bunch of good Tech stuff and most of it is pretty accurate!! the pressures you spoke of are MINUMUM's to keep from damadging a tire!! Sorry i was not reading your first post with clarity but now i am!! Most Tire proffesional will tell you about running underinflated tires and the horror stories to go with them!! Some people just do not understand the importance of doing such a simple task or could care less??:eek:

·
Registered
197 Posts
As I have always understood it when you deviate from recommended pressures you are compromising tread wear. (depending on load)
When you over-inflate you are causing the tire to wear more in the center/middle area of the tread,and when under-inflated you wear more on outer edges of tread.
If you over or under-inflate you will produce uneven treadwear side to side.

see here Rubber Association - Proper Tire Inflation

·
Registered
877 Posts
maxium psi is for maxium load, factory specifications are for light load and ride comfort.

·
Registered
87 Posts
maxium psi is for maxium load, factory specifications are for light load and ride comfort.
Right freakin' on. And the lower pressure puts emphasis on ride quality not tire ware. There are a number of different tire sizes and brands used on the Tundra and I find it hard to believe they all require the same pressure. My tires were set at 36 PSI from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
When I had my first CRX, the parts manager ran a car in the Firehawk series. Their driver was a local guy who had recently turned pro, he still races today in the American GT series.

Anyway, he referred me to a guy to align my car for autocross. He was an old guy who was working at the Firestone store. He told me that you are better off running at the pressure stamped on the side of the tire. The reason the car manufacturer recommends lower pressures is so that the car gives a smoother more quiet ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts