Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my tires are getting fairly worn, I'm buying some new ones before winter and they have become choppy. My truck was out of align a couple of years ago and I had it fixed.
The tires have been choppy for over about 2 years now and I have had some vibration because of it but not to bad.

I was going on a trip with the truck the other day and had my tires rotated (it was due) and everything was fine going down there (2 hour drive).
But on the way back the vibration was getting real bad and my truck started pulling to the left pretty hard.

Do ya'll think that may be one of the tires is just that choppy or out of whack or do ya'll think that my truck is all of a sudden out of alignment?
It was just weird to me this didn't happen until they were rotated.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
If the front 2 were bad because of a misalignment, and you had the truck aligned and the tires rotated, then the back 2 were brought to the front, the truck felt fine. But when the back 2 (the bad ones) were brought back to the front, it started pulling.

Is that right?

If it is, then you could have a bad set of tires in the front now and you may have a balancing problem. If the tires are wearing unevenly because of a bad alignment, then they would need regular balancing to compensate for the uneven wear.

By all means, this is not the only answer, it's just mine. And it could be wrong, but a tire balancing is a cheap alternative to a new tire installation.

Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I need tires anyways so I'm getting some before winter and the tires have been rotated after the truck was aligned a couple of years ago.
It's just all of a sudden it started pulling hard to the left and I'm having more vibration.

My tires got choppy on me when the truck got out of alignment 2/3 years ago. Got the truck aligned and the tires have been rotated a few times since then with no problems except some vibration from the tires getting choppy.
Like I said ever since my tires got choppy I have had some vibration but all of a sudden it has gotten pretty bad and it is pulling pretty hard.
They weren't rotated for quite a while so I'm thinking one of the tires on back probably got even more out of whack and when I got them rotated recently it was put on front and that started the problem.

So do you think new tires will solve that problem (I'm going to get some anyways)?

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
4 new tires with a proper alignment will definitely fix the prob.

In the meantime, take a look around the inside and outside of the wheel's edge. You're looking for a clean spot where a wheel weight fell off. If you see a cleaner than normal spot on the lip, then you threw a weight. Get her balanced and see if that helps until you buy the new treads.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
New tires and an alignment should help, but you should also get an alignment
once a year to help maintain things.

John

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Have you checked whether a wheel (or wheels) may be out-of-round? It doesn't have to be much out-of-round to make a big difference. Next time you have the tires rotated, or when you buy new tires, have the tire shop do run-out tests on each wheel. Also, tell the shop to place stick-on weights on your wheels, rather than the traditional lead weights that are hammered onto the outer rims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts