Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is plenty of debate about tire pressure versus ride/performance/handling/mpg....

What I'm curious to know is what the factors are that determine what the owners manual suggests? Is the vehicle manufacturer looking to provide us with the most comfortable ride, or the safest ride (less rollovers), or the best mileage, or the best tread wear, etc?

Please discuss... :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
My thoughts are:

Most comfortable ride? Off the lot for a test drive: chances are that the tire pressure is low. :cool: This will afford a more comfortable ride. :devil:

Best mileage? The truck manufacturer (Toyota) may lean this way to attract the customer.

Best tire wear? Now this is only my thought ..... sure the tire manufacturer wants its product to get a good rep so they may lean this way ... but their business is to sell you tires :cool: .... low pressure equals tire wear (as does over inflation)

Safest ride? This is my bet. :)

The one area where I do have a concern is this. :cool: Is the suggested rear tire pressure in a pickup that of an empty or loaded bed. We are talking an additional 1,000 pounds here ... that'll make a difference.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The one area where I do have a concern is this. :cool: Is the suggested rear tire pressure in a pickup that of an empty or loaded bed. We are talking an additional 1,000 pounds here ... that'll make a difference.
Empty. When carrying heavier loads, increase your tire pressure accordingly, up to the maximum recommended.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Maximum tire pressure is determined by the tire manufacturer. The parameters have to do with tire construction and intended use. This max tire pressure is embossed on the tire sidewall.

The auto manufacturer selects the tire they want to put on a specific vehicle, and may alter "Their" recomendations for tire pressure...but they will never exceed the recomended pressures stated by the tire manufacturer...on the sidewall.

All that being said, I BELIEVE: And this is just my guess: That auto manufacturers will sometimes make a deal with a tire manufacturer to build a tire for a "Specific" vehicle if the production "numbers" can justify a production run. TacoGuy

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't know about "Why a certain manufacture chooses a certain tire? I think it has to do with cost. Cheapest tire for the basic needs of what the vehicle is designed for.

If you are asking about how to determine the correct tire pressure then "DO NOT" go by what is written on the tire.

Do a chalk test. Apply chalk across your tires threads and drive it back and forth. See if the entire surface of the tire is making contact with the ground. Adjust it accordingly. This is best done when the tires are new.

After that record your pressure and you're set!!

BFG's on a Suzuki jeep will run less pressure than BFG's on a Dodge Ram HD.

I hope this makes sense to you?

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts