Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be replacing 2 original tires in the near future on my wifes highlander.
I have Michlen LX4 Energy 225/65/17 now, but they are not holding up too well I get a nice ride but they are wearing quickly.
Have 15K on the tires and have roatated twice including spare.
I was told these tires wear out faster but give a smoother ride.
Can anyone suggest a better replacement tire or should I just keep the same tires???

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will be replacing 2 original tires in the near future on my wifes highlander.
I have Michlen LX4 Energy 225/65/17 now, but they are not holding up too well I get a nice ride but they are wearing quickly.
Have 15K on the tires and have roatated twice including spare.
I was told these tires wear out faster but give a smoother ride.
Can anyone suggest a better replacement tire or should I just keep the same tires???
Have an 02 Highlander, I had the Firestone Destination LE, they were a more aggressive tread and better wear got 40,000 miles and still can see Lincoln's mouth on the penny. Up graded to 18' wheels using Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza and there is a night and day difference. The Firestone gave me a truck like ride and felt higher, but the Alenza's are super quiet, smooth and responsive. Check Tirerack for reviews. here's a closeup of the tread.

Of course you have to replace all four, you should evaluate where your highlander is driven most on, STS told me that the Bridgestone Alenzas are a High performace All season highway tire and have better wear up to 60,000 miles and that's what I mainly use the highlander Highway driving.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can't believe Toyota is putting Michlen LX4 Energys on the HL now. I had them on two new Hyundais I owned. 15k or 16k is a good life span for these tires. They are smooth riding but made of soft rubber compounds. They put them on a lot of NEW cars so when you take them for a test drive you say to yourself, boy this car/suv rides sooooo smooth. It's a sales gimmick, and it works! If you check them out you will find that they come WITHOUT a milage treadwear warranty. That's pretty strange for a Michlen tire.
I run Michlen LTX M&S, because I'm in snow country. If you aren't, Michlen Cross Terrains are a good choice of a lot of HL owners. Both give great treadwear life, a smooth ride and good handling. Although from people's reports on Tirerack.com, the LTX tires seem to have a little better tread life. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Whatever you do, I wouldn't replace with new 'Energys' unless you plan on replacing your tires every year.
Gees, still can't believe they are putting 'Energys' on new Highlanders.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I put a set of Goodyear Fortera TripleTreads' on my wifes 05 Highlander about 6 months ago. I am very happy w/ their noise / performance although I havent used them in ice/snow since I'm in Texas

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
wow!
I've got 30k on my LX4's, and still have quite a bit of meat left on them,
maybe that's because my wife drives the HL:D

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I have the LX4 Michs on my HL Ltd. 7k miles later they are great. I rotate every 5k. I don't cross rotate like the manual says and I never include the spare. I have reasons for this. I like to keep tires rotating same direction at all times. It works for me.

The Treadwear rating on these $150 tires are 500. Traction A, Temp A. These are good numbers for an "S" speed rated tire.

But I will say, if yu live in the southern belt, the hot climates will wear out most any tire twice as fast compared to Colder northern climates!

Wrong Tire pressure will accelerate wear real fast. This is often overlooked. 3-5 PSI over or under the 30 PSI spec. is critical in my
opinion.
LT

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just ordered a new set of LX4s from Costco (only tire they sell for the HL) to replace the orginal LX4s. Currently have 53k miles and only rotated once at 45k. My reasoning for not rotating was what I heard on Car Talk. If you have to pay for the rotation you are better off using that money to pay for new set of tires because the rotation benefit is not worth the cost. Tires that were on the back most of the time (now on front) are still pretty good but have a nail that I don't want to take out, so will replace all now. Still driving with the nail in until the tires arrive. These tires are great and a lot better riding than the HL we test drove without Michelins. Only problem was from the beginning we had one tire with a slow leak that had to be pumped up every so often.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Please qualify your observations based on the the following criteria when discussing Tires:

1) R U Using 17" or 16" OE wheels?

2) Have a FWD or 4WD Highlander?

3) Do yu Rotate every 5K miles, as required?

All opinions on tires cannot be objective if yu don't adhere to the above criteria.
What's good for my application, is not necessarily good for yu.:td:

Everyone is all over the place with "This is a good tire That's a bad tire, what I have is the Best....etc.
And,
"I don't rotate tires, cause it costs as much as new tires":td: That's a new one on me.
A "Treadwear Rating" of 400 versus a 600 is negligiable when comparing tires. Too many people rely on this like it is a literal mileage indicator. It IS NOT!!

Anything over 400+ is all in the same league.

BTW, Costco offers FREE rotations Flat Repairs for the life of tires and mine also gives yu FREE Nitrogen gas in the tires and top offs when needed.
Although they tend to be No bargain when it comes to pricing.
Also, they refuse to offer a different size or brand tire other than the OE model that's on your vehicle. They are not a True Tire Shop in my opinon.

LT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts