Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is needing new tires on her 04 Sequoia 4x4. The original tires wore out in 1 yr but the ride was better for her. We put on Goodyear Fortera because they were suppose to have a great ride quaity due to the construction (blah,blah,blah). They have a very rough ride. Now 2 yrs later, I am trying to find a smooth riding tire for her truck. She has hated her truck for the last 2 yrs and I want to make a better decision on the tires. Any suggestions? :confused: Remember - mainly looking at a highway ride quality.

help! momma ain't happy:eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Toyo Open Country A/T - had em on through the winter, extremely nice, quiet ride. I use my tires as all seasons, and do not change them out with the weather. These are fantastic tires in my opinion.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What about Toyo Open Country H/T's. Geared more for highway miles, but does anyone have any long-term experience with them?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Michelin LTX MS hands down for good balance and smooth ride. ( and happy momma!) Also, read the thread on maximizing camber in your alignment, helps ride, tracking and tire wear.

We have them on our 04 Seq with about 5K miles and love them. I also have them on my Explorer and have over 50,000 miles on them with not a complaint and lots of tread left. I personally won't use any other truck tire.

Had terrible luck with Goodyear HT's on the Expl.-never could get 'em to balance right.

The stock Bridgestones on the SEQ were also a joke for wear.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked Tirerack.com and some say they love this one and otherwill hate it. I trust the comments from more on this site than some bozo who does't like his tires because he felt he got screwed on his price.

The Michelin LTX was an option, but agian, the tire sites don't have them rated as high as they use to be. The Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S have gotten 5 stars from everyone and also the Pirelli Scorpion ATR are ranked top notch. Does anyone have feedback on these? They are both a all terrain tire, but would definately get the P-series. 265-65-17

·
Registered
119 Posts
If the LTX MS isn't the top of the heap in ratings, its because of use in snow and off-roading. You said your need was for typical highway driving and keeping momma happy. tire websites don't have that category.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know a family who has the Pirelli Scorpions on their Excursion. They love them, can't rave about them enough, ride, wear, whatever. 1 story. Seems these tires have rave reviews for street use and mild off road use.
P rated tires will definately give you a more "car-like" ride. That is what they are meant for.
When I went on BFGoodrich's website and asked them what I should run on the Sequoia, they recommended their "long trail t/a radial". A "p" rated tire. When I asked why, they responded that it was what came on the vehicle for more of a "car-like" ride. I could run BFG all terrain T/A radial KO's, but they are a LT tire and will give a stiffer ride. More truck-like.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any other suggestions before I spend a small fortune? Her tires, then I need some for the Tundra!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been reading on this subject. A lot of people like the Pirelli's at first, but not so much later. They tend to be hard to find a set that will balance, but if you do they are gold. I had Toyo OC A/T's on a T-100, good tires but they were loud. I replaced them with Dayton Timberline H/T's and then realized how loud the Toyo's were. I am on a budget and can't afford very expensive tires, but want good quality. I settled on Firestone Destination LE's. They were installed yesterday and ride smoother than the stock Dunlop's. The truck seems to handle better but also seems a little sluggish. That should improve with time I would think. Destination A/T's have gotten good reviews on this forum, too. The others I considered were Yokohama Geolanders. Hope this helps.
Craig

·
Registered
202 Posts
I currently have the Michelin LTX M/S on my sequoia and so far I really like them. Quiet, did well in recent snow and heavy rain and on the highway are really smooth. I had the Yokohama Geolander(not sure model) on my Highlander and I wasn't very crazy about them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I second the comments on the Firestone Destination LEs. I had them on my Chevy truck and they were great! Good price, fabulous ride quality, gripped very well in the wet, and the wear was phenomenal. When I sold the truck I wanted to keep the tires, but it's tough to sell a truck that sitting on cinder blocks...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the Toyo Open Country H/Ts for a year/19K miles. Very happy so far. Ride well, wear well (should have no problem getting 40-50K, atleast), good traction wet and snow. Toyota should be ashamed of the original Dunlops.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We are on our second set on Michelin LTS A/S tires and can’t say enough about how smooth and quite they ride. They are in the high end in price but since the last set lasted almost 90,000 mile they are worth it! Even at 90,000 mile the wear marks were still below the tread surface. I replaced the tires just because they have been on so long they stared so show some minor age cracks on the sidewall. One thing though, the tires are a load range ‘E,’ so this supposedly makes them a little harder ride but my wife and I can’t tell. The reason why we bought the ‘E’ rated tires is for the occasional heavy loads we might carry and all-around added tire strength.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Michelin LTX M/S and Michelin Cross Terrain as my 1 and 2 choice for highway ride. Good overall ratings, wear excellent, CR always rated them in the top (until recently) with their only fault being high price. I had the LTX on my Exploder and helped immensely with ride quality over the Firestones and Dunlops I had prior. They didn't come in 265-65-17 or I would have gotten them. Cross Terrain was next best option and very satisfied so far.

Watch air pressure and check shocks also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
somebody mentioned the BFG long trail radial t/a, i would recommend those to anybody. i bought some for my pathfinder and after 30k plus they looked great, rode great and had great rain/snow traction. sound to good to be true? its not. they are a great looking tire and really last. i have no doubt that they would have lasted to 60-70k miles. which is not uncommon according to the customer reviews that i read.
im not sure if they come in the factory sequoia 265/65/17 size though. i had 31x10.50x15 on my pathfinder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced the Stock tires on my 2004 Sequoia with the Michelin Cross Terrain tires a year and a half and 25,000 miles ago. I have been very happy with the results. Nice ride and no issues with the weather in the northeast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced my Michelin Cross Terrains with Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor. I didn't think I could do better than the Cross terrains they were excellent but the Fortera's are even better.

You sound like you hated the Fortera's; were they the Tripletred or the SilentArmor? These two tires were rated #1 and 2 on tirerack. After your experience with the last tires I doubt I could convince you to try the new SilentArmor so I would recommend the Michelins.

Most of our driving is on flat Oklahoma highways so I didn't need the all weather or offroad tires. I have an '01 Limited.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just replaced my Michelin Cross Terrains with Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor. I didn't think I could do better than the Cross terrains they were excellent but the Fortera's are even better.

You sound like you hated the Fortera's; were they the Tripletred or the SilentArmor? These two tires were rated #1 and 2 on tirerack. After your experience with the last tires I doubt I could convince you to try the new SilentArmor so I would recommend the Michelins.

Most of our driving is on flat Oklahoma highways so I didn't need the all weather or offroad tires. I have an '01 Limited.
Yep, Fortera Silent Armor. Tires lasted about 25k wore even but down to the markers. Was one of the smoothest riding tires for the first 5000k, then it was like riding in a sportcar with low profiles tires. I have narrowed it down to the Michelin, Pirellis, and the Yokahomas.:confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts