Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4X2 that needs 4 brand new tires. My current tires are the Michelin Cross Country 265/70/16. The original tire size recommended for my vehicle is 245/70/16. Should I go with the recommended size or replace them with my current tire size now? I purchased the vehicle used and they came with the wider tires, so I have no experience with ride comfort of the thinner tires.

Will the 245/70/16 get better MPG? Will I suffer less comfort with thinner tire? I live in Southern California and use it primarily to shuttle my kids to and from school. I am thinking of getting the Michelin brand, unless someone have better experience with other brands. Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Keep the 265-70-16. It was the optional size based on if you got base model or one with alloy rims. Get the Michelin LTX M/S 2 as the replacement. Last longer, ride smoother. Not cheap but highly recommended, check Tirerack for ratings. You can often get them on sale at Sams/BJ's/Costco wholesale and comes with free flat repair/road hazard/rotation. Search threads here for DJ's alignment specs and have alignment done to match those numbers exact NOT "in range".

Do NOT get Continental CrossContact LX unless you want to waste your money as they are worn out by 25k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would stick with the 265/70-16. I just replaced a set of Yoko-Geolanders w/ Michelin LTX M/S-2 in the 265/70-16 and love them. No doubt, THE best tire for your Sequoia. I went through 2 sets of the original LTX MS on my 98' 4Runner and got 80k+ out of both sets! Also, these tires plowed through many Montana winters.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have 265's now, and would like to go wider yet whenever I can afford a lift. When new, the tires rubbed slightly at full turn. I have BFG all terrains, but I do not recommend them. Good tires but not great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts