Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know right off the bat someone is gonna say hit the search button but I am tired of searching and one guy saying his 285-75-17 don't rub nothing and the next guy saying they rub like hell. I am looking at running a xd spy wheel in black with a 4.53 back space and -12 offset in 17" or 18" they are 9" wide. I want to put on an agressive all terrain tire that is the tallest and widest that will not hit the upper control arms at all. I don't mind taking the mudd flaps off just do not want to hit the UCA. The stock tires are 265/65/17 which is 30.6 tall and 10.4 wide. I am going to be putting on a set of 5100's on the 4th notch Just to level it. I like the look of the tires sticking out past the fenders some. Thanks for the help in advance and also pics would be great. I have an 04 double cab limited 4x4. What kind of tires are you guys running that are lasting and not so loud. I am not opposed to mud tires if it rides good and lasts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am running 305/70/16s with top notch 5100s and a 1.5 block on the back. I am not positive on my backspacing but another member said they believe these rims are 5" backspacing. I already trimmed some of the inside fender before I did the lift so I am not sure if it would rub or not without the trimming but I love the look and didn't mind having to trim a little bit.

·
Registered
777 Posts
on the bottom of sig is a chart that my help with sizes

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I have 285/75/16 Yokohama Geolandar AT-S tires and so far they have lasted very well. Not much noise either. 16x9 wheels, 4.5" back spacing which is pushing it as far as clearing the control arms. I think your best bet is to stick with 285/70/17. The back spacing on the wheels you mentioned is pretty deep, you may want to find a wheel with less, look for 4.5" or less. You can see how tight the clearance is in the second pic, and that isn't even at droop, so you can imagine how tight it gets when the suspension cycles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking at running a xd spy wheel in black with a 4.53 back space and -12 offset. That was in the first post. the wheel is a 4.5" backspace. Hard to find wheels with less than 4.5" but I will keep looking. I like the looks of 18" wheels thinking about 285/65/18 That is 32.6" where your setup is 32.8" and they are the same width. But still worried about that UCA. I could also run a 285/60/18 and the width would stay the same but the hight would be 31.5" which is about an inch over stock and an inch less than your set-up.

·
Registered
567 Posts
you can always pickup a set of wheel adapters. i have a set of spidertrax that push the wheel out about 1.25" so you don't have to worry about the rubbing of the uca and you can get the wheels you want. several people on here use and they are about $200 for a set of 4. i have had mine on for about a year and half without a single problem. good luck.

Andrew

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Take your time if it's possible to pick your rims. I did see what rims you were talking about, and I want to say that extra little .03 of backspace you have over mine wont hurt, but I'd hate for you to go with them and be out of luck. I wanted 4" backspacing, but I got a deal on my wheels/tires used and for the price I couldn't be picky. There are a lot of members here on 18''s with 33s, I wish one would chime in. I don't think it makes a big difference(the backspace for a taller rim), but compared to 16's it might.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
I know right off the bat someone is gonna say hit the search button but I am tired of searching and one guy saying his 285-75-17 don't rub nothing and the next guy saying they rub like hell. I am looking at running a xd spy wheel in black with a 4.53 back space and -12 offset in 17" or 18" they are 9" wide. I want to put on an agressive all terrain tire that is the tallest and widest that will not hit the upper control arms at all. I don't mind taking the mudd flaps off just do not want to hit the UCA. The stock tires are 265/65/17 which is 30.6 tall and 10.4 wide. I am going to be putting on a set of 5100's on the 4th notch Just to level it. I like the look of the tires sticking out past the fenders some. Thanks for the help in advance and also pics would be great. I have an 04 double cab limited 4x4. What kind of tires are you guys running that are lasting and not so loud. I am not opposed to mud tires if it rides good and lasts.
Don't confuse wheel width with tire width. The stock wheels (trd package alloys) are only 7" wide. So that makes a big difference when you change the wheel width to 9" and run a 285/75/16. The tire width will be so much happier on those new wheels vs. the stock wheels.

A lot of people on this forum ask what the largest tire size is for stock wheels + no lift, and stock wheels + 2.5" lift. The answer to those questions is always 265/75/16 and 285/75/16, respectively. If you have the stock 17" wheels, the tire sizes are just about the same, 265/70/17 and 285/70/17, respectively.

With the wheels you're looking at, the BS is very similar to the stock wheels, but the width is almost 30% greater. So the tires' sidewalls won't be as flexed out as they are on a stock 7" wheel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am looking hard at this set-up 18x9 black xd spy's and a 275/65/18 The tire is 32.1 inch's tall and 10.8 wide. that is about an inch and a half over stock hight and only .4" over stock width but will look much wider with the 9" wheel and the offset. The stock backspace is 4.7" and the new wheel is 4.53" So the new wheels will give me just alittle more room than stock. I think this set-up will be golden and not rub anywhere. But most important not rub the UCA.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tires are Nitto terra Grapplers

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
It's important to remember that if you lift the front end, it changes the angle of the UCA, and effectively brings the tire slightly closer to the UCA. If you jack up your truck you will see how the arm leaves it's tucked away position and goes up towards the inner edge of the wheel/tire. Add to that the wider tire, and you cut the margin by a lot. Like I said, I think you will be okay with 4.53"BS, but know ahead of time that you are cutting it close.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It could very well rub while the suspension flexes.

I find 4 inches of backspace to be the best, but everyones application is different.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what wheels are you guys running that have 4" backspace? Any thoughts on which tires?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not ruleing out a 17" wheel. Just seems that a 285/70/17 is much bigger than the 275/65/18. I can't find any wheels with less that 4.5" backspacing anywhere. Must of the guys I see running the 285/70/17 or the 75/17 are running there 5100"s top notch with a block in the back. I am looking to run the 4th notch with no block and just level the truck. So I am thinking the 285/70/17 will rub pretty bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I experienced a recent issue when i changed my tires. I have 285/55/20s on my Tundra. This is what was on there when i originally bought it. However, when I ordered new tires from a different manufacturer and installed them i had a pretty significant rubbing issue which i didn't have before. So i had to install spacers to resolve the issue until i can afford narrower tires. Just wanted to let you know that there will be some tolerance differences that need to be taken into consideration if it's going to be close.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have 285/55/20s on my Tundra.
I would like to get some 20s for mine but am afraid of the wandering syndrome described here due to the tire's sidewall or lack there of. Have you noticed any handling issues with that size tire? Who's make of tire? What rims and backspacing are you running? Pictures?

Thanks for the info.

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pulled the trigger. I ordered a set of 18x9 xd spy wheels in black and a set of 275/65/18 falken wild peaks the tire looks pretty cool it is a new tire that just came out. It has a 50k mile rating and it's a 10ply. I like the looks of them a little better than the terra grappler. Here is a pic of the tire Falken Wild Peak A/T Tire- LT245/75R17E 121/118Q BW. I am paying $196 a tire for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like to get some 20s for mine but am afraid of the wandering syndrome described here due to the tire's sidewall or lack there of. Have you noticed any handling issues with that size tire? Who's make of tire? What rims and backspacing are you running? Pictures?

Thanks for the info.

<TUNDRA>

Correction....i have 285/50/20s...Goodyear Eagle GTII...I have not had any handling issues at all....drives just like every other truck i've owned. Sorry, i don't know what backspacing is...the truck came with the rims already on it. i will work on getting a pic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts