Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had an ongoing problem with radio static. My dealership refused to hear it (Thanks), so I'm 10k miles out of warranty now and it's getting pretty bad.

Any ideas? The antenna is tight on there, and I really hate the look of aftermarket stereos (nav ones and such look good, but not your run of hte mill headunit).

And, just an idea for how bad it is, one of the major radio stations playing "Straight Tequila Night." I'd move up in traffic 3 feet and it'd go bye bye, inch forward again and it'd come back staticky. Now, the place where I live is fairly big, and I was downtown (and when I say downtown - I mena like a "shopping mall") and there was a tree close by. None of the other cars I've ridden in down here have had a problem with static - just mine.

-rockstate

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like you should have bought a ford? lol;) That sucks the big one dude,and if everything from the antenna to receiver is good one would have to guess it's the head unit.
However toyota stereos have always been ****

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sppose so. The antenna comes undone quite easily. I really need to put some loctite on there.

May be a project for later on in the week?

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That's called multipath distortion.
Multipath refers to the reception of a radio signal sources other than the transmitting antenna, like reflection off buildings, bridges, etc.
These slightly longer paths cause these radio signals to be received out of phase from the transmitting signal, and causes what you experienced: signal fade, static, and sometimes the phases are out to the point of signal cancellation.
That's why when you move a few feet, the radio signal fades, and a few more feet, the signal could disappear or it could return.

A longer (or 2nd) antenna or amplified antenna sometimes will minimize multipath distortion.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here's the question for ya, why is it that my truck (with the same length antenna as one of my buddy's Silverados) gets much worse reception? This is all the head unit, correct?

I would like a fix without adding a second antenna (how does one go about doing that?) and I don't think a longer one is in order. It's tall enough as is.

Thanks for your insight though, it does make sense, but unfortunately I don't really want to add a second antenna or a longer one.

Is it too late to go btch at Toyota?

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Those are different vehicle designs that have different radio receivers built by different manufacturers using different circuit designs.
It's probably the receiver, and unfortunately, replacing it is the only way to know for certain, unless you are lucky enough to find a smart radio guy who can trim and pad (match the antenna to the receiver using adjustments on the receiver) for maximum signal.
Check your hood to see if it has a dedicated ground connection to the body, so the hood is not contributing to the multipath.
Do you also get wiper motor or alternator noise in the radio?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks steve, Reppoints if I Can.

No alternator noise or wiper noise. It's really just poor reception in and around town. It is pretty fuzzy and everybody but Toyota agrees with me. lol

-rockstate

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks steve, Reppoints if I Can.

No alternator noise or wiper noise. It's really just poor reception in and around town. It is pretty fuzzy and everybody but Toyota agrees with me. lol

-rockstate
As awkward as some after market HU's are you should be able to find one you can live with.
Maybe a double din unit that is not nav or video capable if cost is a factor(It is for me lol)
that should keep the cost down.
On top of hopefully better sound you will have way more control over audio settings(unless you have a JBL)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hey guys, I've had an ongoing problem with radio static. My dealership refused to hear it (Thanks), so I'm 10k miles out of warranty now and it's getting pretty bad.

Any ideas? The antenna is tight on there, and I really hate the look of aftermarket stereos (nav ones and such look good, but not your run of hte mill headunit).

And, just an idea for how bad it is, one of the major radio stations playing "Straight Tequila Night." I'd move up in traffic 3 feet and it'd go bye bye, inch forward again and it'd come back staticky. Now, the place where I live is fairly big, and I was downtown (and when I say downtown - I mena like a "shopping mall") and there was a tree close by. None of the other cars I've ridden in down here have had a problem with static - just mine.

-rockstate
yeah keep sticking with that toyota HU and enjoy your static.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yup. I've owned 3 Toyota's and all had the radio replaced before 60,000 miles. My current Toyota which I purchased new 9-2003 had its radio fail at 1100 miles in the middle of the world series. Needless to say, the rebuilt radio (not new) has been flawless. The dealer will want a grand to replace it with a refurbished unit. The fix might as simple as a bad ground or faulty ground wire, but who knows.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i think the ranch hand is interfering with the signals.

wait, maybe u can just attach the anntena wiring to the ranch hand...talk about huge antennae. :)

honestly i never listen to FM or AM anyway so i wouldnt know if mine has static or not. i do sirius or CDs or the aux input...usually sirius.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
i think the ranch hand is interfering with the signals.

wait, maybe u can just attach the anntena wiring to the ranch hand...talk about huge antennae. :)
Dang good idea, thing's gotta be good for something.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today I ran over one of those styrofoam coolers with my truck at 40 mph. It blew it to pieces. I love the RH lol

Maybe I could do what Rox did with her antenna...

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Today I ran over one of those styrofoam coolers with my truck at 40 mph. It blew it to pieces. I love the RH lol

Maybe I could do what Rox did with her antenna...

-rockstate
weird. most of us could actually run over one of those coolers and do the same thing...w/o ever hitting the bumper or grille area...would have to be airborne to hit it with a grill guard......

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha the brush guard weighs 112 lbs, not 3000. Plus, I am lifted 2.5" so I am higher than than all stock tundras.

-rockstate

·
Registered
34 Posts
I realize this is a very old subject, but it seems the problems still exist. Say that we are in a
bad signal area isn't a valid argument when my wifes Lexus receives all radio signals crystal
clear, and my Tundra is scratchy. If anyone doesn't know the Lexus is a Toyota vehicle.

I would have to say it is in the Tundra, and I have a Tundra limited with the best JBL radio
Toyota had for when it was built. I think Toyota just did not install good radio's to begin with.

I will remove mine and install the best aftermarket radio I can buy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts