Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im putting either 285's or 305's MTs on my 2005 trd that has a 3" lift. I know already that Im going to have to get wheel spacers to have enough room to fit them on and I know that I can fit the 285's on but my questions are can I fit 305's if I get a wider spacer and my friend whose a mechanic said it might effect the way the truck runs or something because of different sensors on the motor from going from a 31" tire to about a 33" but he wasn't sure. If any one has these size tires and knows anything about it please let me know so I can get the right tire. I basicly want the biggest tires I can fit without lifting it more and without it rubbing tooo too bad (I can deal with a little). I also have been going through ball joints like a ma f'er for some reason. The ball joints themselves don't go but I keep ripping the boots open and then same thing with my inner cv's. I do do quite a bit of off roading and my friend said becasue its IFS and lift and its too much for them. I didn't know if this was BS or if its not BS if there was anything I could do like heavy duty ball joints or something. Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's from the lift, not much you can do about it that I know of. Those wider tires are hard on the front end parts as well. More leverage against the suspension parts.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have 315-70-17 on mine. had to use a 1/4" spacer on the front. they fit w/o rubbing after i took off the mud flaps and trimmed the pinch weld a little bit, oh and they rub on the frame but thats to be expected. oh i have a daystar leveling kit. just put on a 3"BL in addition to completely eliminate fender rub

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 325/60/18 TerraGrapplers on my truck, with just a 3" spacer up front. On the rear I have a 1" add-a-leaf and 2" lift blocks. With a bit of trimming they cleared fine, but i doe have some rubbing on my UCAs.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
once you get towards 3in of lift, you may run into touble with ball joins (which it appears you have). youll need to get completely new upper control arms (UCAs) which can be fairly expensive. CV joints also run into issues due to the extreme angle they now run at. pretty much your best option with those is to lower your ride height

·
Registered
328 Posts
So Im putting either 285's or 305's MTs on my 2005 trd that has a 3" lift. I know already that Im going to have to get wheel spacers to have enough room to fit them on and I know that I can fit the 285's on but my questions are can I fit 305's if I get a wider spacer and my friend whose a mechanic said it might effect the way the truck runs or something because of different sensors on the motor from going from a 31" tire to about a 33" but he wasn't sure. If any one has these size tires and knows anything about it please let me know so I can get the right tire. I basicly want the biggest tires I can fit without lifting it more and without it rubbing tooo too bad (I can deal with a little). I also have been going through ball joints like a ma f'er for some reason. The ball joints themselves don't go but I keep ripping the boots open and then same thing with my inner cv's. I do do quite a bit of off roading and my friend said becasue its IFS and lift and its too much for them. I didn't know if this was BS or if its not BS if there was anything I could do like heavy duty ball joints or something. Any input appreciated!
What kind of lift kit do you have on your truck? Some are harder on ball-joints, etc. than other kits. You can run a 285/75R16 (just under a full 33" tire) with no trimming or very minimal trimming.

·
Registered
546 Posts
May need a diff drop to better your angles. I have a full 3" lift with NO trouble at all. More than lift you need to consider your wheel offset.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got the bilstien 5100 lift up front and set on the highest setting it gave me 3.25" of lift which is about .75 more than advertised. I am running 285 75 16s and with spidertrax 2" spacers up front and a little plastic inner fender trimming and no mudflaps I now have no rub. I used to have .25" spacers up front and only had uca rub at full lock. But when I couldn't find any decent wheels I ordered the 2" spacers from wheelersoffroad.com and had rub on the mudflaps. So I didn't like them anyways and took them off. Now no rub. I believe you can fit 305s with the 2" spacer though because I have plenty of room at uca and a little at pinch weld. Just beat that in and I think you can clear them. What the heck just go with 315s and a sawzall lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
im runnin 285/75r16 i have a 4 inch body lift, i dont run any spacers on the front. however the pro comp rims i have on have a 4 inch back space on it. my previous rims did rub the inner frame rail. but this was corrected by the rims. planing on puttin 305s on it soon. hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts