Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Tires for Canadian Seasons

11K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  van isle 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm in Calgary, AB.

I'm in the midst of purchasing a fully loaded 07 Limited. Bad news is that it needs tires soon and it has the 20 inch rim option. $$ :(

Going into winter and summer tires will be too much money I think. Can any fellow Canadians recommend a good all weather/all season tire for the Tundra? In Calgary we get cold/warm/cold weather so icey roads can be an issue. I've been told the BFG AT's get way too hard in cold weather therefore are poor on ice, etc. Need 275/55/20.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#2 ·
Hey Welcome. I am from Calgary as well. I plan on running Toyo MT's on mine next year. For what I have read seems to be one of the best tires you can get for all seasons. This winter I am just running the stock BFG's did a test drive in the snow last winter before I bought my 2010 Tundra and seemed to work just fine in the winter but we will see how bad the winter is this year. If the ****ty summer we had is any indication it's not going to be a great winter.

#3 ·
hey i own a tire shop we sell everything under the sun and sell 8000 tires a year so we've tested everything the way to go is the general grabber HTS for an all season the way i do it and its like night and day i invest in another set of rims and get snow tires its well worth the investment for so many reasons the big thing for me is below 45 degrees allseason tires are not as effective because of the compound also having a snow tire alows you to go to more of a sporty summer tire if you have anymore questions let me now i love to help people out i have a 2wheel drive rcsb with 4 snows and was able to climb a 40% incline in 36 inches of snow with out a problem and and pound turns in 30 degrees like it was 90 on summer tires

#7 ·
I agree with bcrispy. Yes, the upfront cost of 2 sets of tires is pretty high. However, if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time the cost is minimal. Your not using both sets at the same time so they last forever. As long as you get the snows off as soon as it starts to get warm they will last for years too. As cold as it gets in your neck of the woods, just about any "all season" tire probably gets pretty stiff at times. I am happy to say that is not a problem I have too often here. :)

#8 ·
Hello, new member here with some good info. 1010TIRES.COM — Tires and Wheels Absolute Authority. in BC is a good place to get what you want. They have pretty good prices....I'm going to put a set of Michelin LTX M/S on mine soon. They also do tire and wheel packages.

#9 ·
Hello everyone. I just have the 2011 tundra in the first month of year. The original tires fr factory was not really good for snow, so i odered nitto terra grapplers 285/55/20 with the new rims, They are really good for snow. Last week i just changed it back to the original tires for the summer

#10 ·
I live in the interior of B.C where the winters can get pretty harsh. Personally, I wouldn't dream of running the same tire in the winter as in the summer. All season tires just don't cut it when the weather gets well below freezing and the rubber gets far too stiff.

A friend of mine is running Nitto Terra Grapplers all year round and hasn't reported any problems. I run those in the summer but use the Blizzak DM-V1 in the winter and they stick like glue. Initially expensive but, in my mind, far cheaper than risking a crash.

#12 ·
Looks like Treadwright can ship internationally, may be an option for those that live closer to them.

I have been really happy with my tires from them.

#13 ·
I'm up in Edmonton, have run BFG at ta KO they aren't bad. Sipe them and you have a real good all year tire. I have a set of toyo g02 winter tires, for the price not that impressed. When they wear out I may go hankook ipike or cooper discovey for winter and get them studded. My new truck is running Michelin at2 but only for summer. Looking at them I'm notnsure they'd be a good minter tire. As someone else mention the LTX ms is good year round if you want to run one set of tires

#14 ·
awesome luck with dick cepek fun country 2, great for an all terrian, and awesome in the snow and on the ice.

#15 ·
I'm up in Edmonton, have run BFG at ta KO they aren't bad. Sipe them and you have a real good all year tire. I have a set of toyo g02 winter tires, for the price not that impressed. When they wear out I may go hankook ipike or cooper discovey for winter and get them studded. My new truck is running Michelin at2 but only for summer. Looking at them I'm notnsure they'd be a good minter tire. As someone else mention the LTX ms is good year round if you want to run one set of tires
I've got a set of the G02 plus and they were great this past winter. Plus you can run them in summer although I would not recommend it. The walnuts really help on ice.
Blizzaks are great until you wear off half the rubber and you have regular snow tires then, Unless you are willing to run those in summer when they wear down which I do, the kids cars has their just legal snows on and it is 80 here.

#16 ·
I agree with bcrispy. Yes, the upfront cost of 2 sets of tires is pretty high. However, if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time the cost is minimal. Your not using both sets at the same time so they last forever. As long as you get the snows off as soon as it starts to get warm they will last for years too.
+1. We have a set of snows on steel rims - Michelin LTX M/S IIRC.

#17 ·
I got 18" winters in a fairly common size / diameter in case I go with another brand truck someday. Got another tundra so all is good.

#18 ·
Ive had a set of BFG All Terrain T/A's here in Calgary for 3 winters. They are pretty good, not as good as my car winters but I have 4wd so who cares. Also they have the winter tire snow flake symbol which technically makes them a winter tire too, therefore they are not overly hard in the cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.