Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this problem? These Bridgestone 689 H/Ts always need air. I check the pressure at least weekly. Twice I've awaken to a flat tire. I thought it might be neighborhood kids because it isn't always the same tire. I watched one tire yesterday, last night, and today. I had put 35 lbs in it and by this afternoon it's definitely losing air. I also had to pull the spare off this week because it was flat. The spare used to be the front left but it was losing air. Dealership could not find anything wrong. Put it back as the spare & I haven't had a problem with it since other than checking the air and keeping them at 35 lbs. What gives? Coincidence? Wheels? I did a search but did not find anything like this.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Try the tire valves. Spray some soapy water on them and look for bubbles.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try the tire valves. Spray some soapy water on them and look for bubbles.
That's the first thing I did. That trick has been around for as long as I can remember. Works well but I couldn't find the leak. Last time this happened I bought a battery powered, rechargable air pump. It saved me from missing work Friday. But it only happens occasionally. I just went outside(It's 6:00 a.m.) and the tires are fine. That's what makes me think it's some kid. I may set up one of my trail cameras to watch the driveway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are the rims stock? Chromed? did you check the valve core inside the valve stem for leaks? I have seen several valve cores get a chunk of dirt and stay very slightly open, not enough to hear, but enough to leak out over a day. The valve cap will not hold the air in the tire. Some people assume the cap will help seal buts only there to keep dirt out.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm reviving this thread because I'm having the problem again. Just got new tires. Seems like every time I have to mess with the TPMS valve stems they leak. After a number of days messing with them, they will finally hold air. Seems like they have to "seat" properly but I do not know how to get them to do this right away. Anyone else have this problem? Did you find a solution?

·
Registered
156 Posts
from my experience of working in a tire shop... if you have chrome wheels, it could be your beads leaking. a lot of the time the chrome corrodes where the bead seats and will leak air veerrryy verrrry slowly.

for you guys with the tpms, make sure your valve core and valve stem are torqued correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
from my experience of working in a tire shop... if you have chrome wheels, it could be your beads leaking. a lot of the time the chrome corrodes where the bead seats and will leak air veerrryy verrrry slowly.

for you guys with the tpms, make sure your valve core and valve stem are torqued correctly.
Absolutely 100% correct! News to me. When I took the truck back to the tire shop they found the valves on the two flat tires were loose. I had to bite my tongue because I wanted to yell, "Why the He** didn't you check that when you mounted the tires"! Seems there is an adjustment in the core on TPMS valves. They showed me the tool used for this which you can buy at an auto parts shop. I told them, "I don't need it. I'll just make sure you check them every time I come to get the tire rotated". (I have the stock steel wheels, BTW). I couldn't be too mad. They gave me a free alignment and they're only two miles away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts