Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that car companies have many reasons for picking the parts they do, they do research and have costs to account for but...

My tires are worn down to the TWI's at 18,000 miles! I've been rotating them, we keep the tire pressure at 32psi. Perhaps because we do mostly city driving, but 18k seems pretty low for total mileage life of a tire.

I know I'm not going to put the same Goodyear tires back on the Toyota. I'm just a little surprised at how quickly they wore out. I could understand this level of wear on super sticky low profile tires on my BMW, but not on the kid hauler.

I'm thinking about getting some Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S tires. They seem to be more 'truck-like' and and I think would be useful for when we drive on the beach and pull the little tent trailer up camping.

Anybody want to chime in on the eternal quest for the über-tire?

·
Registered
306 Posts
My factory Dunlops lasted 18,000 on my 2003 4Runner. If you want longlasting tires, get some Michelin Cross Terrains or Michelin LTX M/S.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the LTX M/S aren't available in the 225/65 17" size, but the Cross Terrains are, so maybe I'll put that into the mix.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
My last set of tires Mastercraft 265 70 r16 tires on my Tundra only got 19k. The tires were cheap. I rotated and and balanced them on time for the most part. I live on tar and chip roads as well. Just about any set of tires where I live I'm lucky to get between 25-30k .

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
My factory Dunlops lasted 18,000 on my 2003 4Runner. If you want longlasting tires, get some Michelin Cross Terrains or Michelin LTX M/S.
Cosly...but very excellent tires...It's what yu ride on.

My recommendation also! :tu::tu: (Somewhat partial to the CrossTerrain SUV's though.)
\
LT

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I understand that car companies have many reasons for picking the parts they do, they do research and have costs to account for but...

My tires are worn down to the TWI's at 18,000 miles! I've been rotating them, we keep the tire pressure at 32psi. Perhaps because we do mostly city driving, but 18k seems pretty low for total mileage life of a tire.

I know I'm not going to put the same Goodyear tires back on the Toyota. I'm just a little surprised at how quickly they wore out. I could understand this level of wear on super sticky low profile tires on my BMW, but not on the kid hauler.

I'm thinking about getting some Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S tires. They seem to be more 'truck-like' and and I think would be useful for when we drive on the beach and pull the little tent trailer up camping.

The Goodyear Integrity tires were ..are and always will be a terrible tire.

Few people are getting anywhere with these cheap Goodyear low pricepoint tires.

It is ironic that when yu buy a new 06-07 Highlander HV, it is pot luck whether yu get a Michelin LX4 tire or Goodyear Integrity tire.

LX4's are around $160 each while the Integrity is around $110 or less.
If this is any indication of Toyotas indifference to what they choose to put on their vehicles.

Yu are not alone with those Integrity Tires! Some people are getting even less wear out of them.
If yu were religious about rotation and PSI etc. Yu got as much as yu could out of an inferior set of Goodyear tires!

LT:happy:

·
Registered
18 Posts
To comment on the Yokohamas...yes, I have them on my truck (03 Tacoma), but it is a similar-sized vehicle to your highlander. I really like mine (about 7K miles on them). I have towed with them, driven in pouring rain, and had them offroad (light trails/fire breaks) and they have been excellent everywhere. Also, they ride nice and quiet...very similar to Firestone Destination A/T or Bridgestone Revos.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Michelin Cross Terrains or Michelin LTX M/S.
Another vote for this. :tu::tu:

My 2003 Matrix only has 22K miles... the tires go down to the bone! They installed the cheap Continental tires. :mad::mad:

I'm going to get some Good Year Assurance ComforTred tires... 80K mile warranty. Hopefully they are good.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm going to get some Good Year Assurance ComforTred tires... 80K mile warranty. Hopefully they are good.
You'll feel every pebble in the road! The ComforTred tires are a paradox; on the one hand they absorb big bumps well, but on the other hand they transmit every little road imfection. Net result: ride seem busy and nervous with the Comfortreds instead of calm and soothing as it does with Goodyear's own less expensive Integrity tires. The Integrity is a good tire for ride comfort and quietness and high fuel economy, but they must be cross rotated every 4000-5000 miles without fail or they become noisy and suffer low tread life. Another option is the newly released Goodyear Fortrera's. I havn't researched them yet, but I have noticed Honda has installed them on the all new Pilot SUV.

Oh before I forget, a huge disadvantage of the Comfortreds is high rolling resistance. Many owners report losing up to 2 MPG. In today's world that
adds up to hundreds of extra dollars over the course of 30,000 miles. The Integrity, by contrast has low rolling resistance which is why Toyota uses it on the Toyota Prius.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My Michelin's have about 100k miles on my 4runner and still have tread left. Although they are LTX.

I also have the same tire on my Tundra. Pretty amazing.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I removed a set of Michelin LTX M/S from my tundra at 18k they have 60% thread left, and they gave a great ride, but being materialistic, I put on some 20" wheels, now I get a rough ride but looks cool.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Go to TIRERACK.COM and check out their offerings. The Pirelli Scorpion ATR ($147/tire) gets highly favorable reviews. Our Highlander Hybrid also came with the Goodyear Integrity tires ... 22,000 miles and the bars are just about surfaced. I would never recommend the Integrity tires to anyone.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts

I Know Toyota uses the cheapest grade tires that can buy. You have to think about it Toyota mass produces the Highlander and would pick an entry level tire. When it comes to replacement on my 2008 Highlander I'm picking Michelin like my Tundra ;)

Erik

read this thread

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f75d3

oh yea Good year tires are crap been there done that...

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
Erik.

Which Michelin's do you have?

I have Michelin Cross Terrian but I am thicking of going Michelin LTX next

I have the Michelin LTX (Tundra) been a overall great tire in my opinion for wear on my second set. There are some con's on these tires there not good rain tires but i've knowen that a wile.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2005 Tundra Ltd, and the factory tires wore out at 16,400 miles. Those were Dunlop tires, can't remember which Dunlops they were, but they did not last. I went to the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Real happy with those. They ride & handle great. The Michlen LTX M/S is a good choice as well. I live in the hills of WV, so the windy roads are hard on my tires. I find having to replace them every 20-23k miles. Remember, depending on where you live, and if you drive like me, (aggressive) tires wont last. :ts:
Good Luck!!
Scott

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I have a 2005 Tundra Ltd, and the factory tires wore out at 16,400 miles. Those were Dunlop tires, can't remember which Dunlops they were, but they did not last. I went to the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Real happy with those. They ride & handle great. The Michlen LTX M/S is a good choice as well. I live in the hills of WV, so the windy roads are hard on my tires. I find having to replace them every 20-23k miles. Remember, depending on where you live, and if you drive like me, (aggressive) tires wont last. :ts:
Good Luck!!
Scott
x2, The alenza's I have are a great tire so far.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
no tires are as good as they used to be,, the rubber quality is crap compared to the old days,, and thats a fact..
even michelins aren't nearly as great as they used to be

i got 80k out of my first mich on my corolla (1994) , i put the same tires on it again in 1998 and oly got 40k out of them... oh i also did new struts and alighment at the same time.. so that alone tells me there nothing like they used to be..

dunlops, bridgstones, goodyears, and continetals all wear fast on these cars.. most avalons and camrys with michelins blow through tem in 30-40k.. thats crap in my opinion..

got nothing to do with toyota, the tire companies just stink...

i just buy cheap tires now.. i would rather pay 60$$ for a tire and have in last 2 years than 120 for a mich that last 3 years...

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have the OEM Bridgestones on our 08 Highlander and they're barely making it to 20k.
I'm going Michelin. Had LTX's on my Montero and they lasted 50k and still had plenty of life in them. Know they don't make them for Highlander, but will go with Xterrains.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have the OEM Bridgestones on our 08 Highlander and they're barely making it to 20k.
I'm going Michelin. Had LTX's on my Montero and they lasted 50k and still had plenty of life in them. Know they don't make them for Highlander, but will go with Xterrains.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts