Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need tires within a week before my vacation road trip and got no responses over in the 4Runner section, so I apologize for the cross-post...
I have a '99 4Runner and need tires. I had good luck with Bridgestone Dueler Revos (mostly driven on pavement), though I thought 40K was a little light on mileage. I can't afford the new Revo IIs and was looking at Firestone Destination A/Ts. I don't do any serious wheeling but we have a cabin that's 17 miles out on dirt, with a pretty rocky section. My family and friends have all gotten flats at one time or another (my brother has gotten 3 with his Acura MDX's weenie street tires), but I haven't gotten one with my Revos until last weekend (though the tread is getting pretty thin). OK, as far as the Destinations, I read good things on Tire Rack and other sites but wondered what you guys think. And, would getting them in a higher ply LT version give much better rock protection, or is it just luck? How much will LT rated tires affect my ride quality on pavement, which is 90% of my driving? If the extra $$ for the LTs turn out to add up to the price of one new P-Metric tire I'll just go with the them.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm not a search nazi, but you probably will find good info by searching :).

That said, I have not owned Destination A/Ts but they are on my short list. Seems most guys are very happy with them. If you don't get enough info here, check out the boards at ToyotaNation. There are a lot of tire threads.

With your driving conditions, I would get LT rated tires for their better puncture protection. I would get load range C, but if the rocks are brutal you might want load range D. They'll ride a bit harder and may hurt fuel mileage a little, but they are tougher.

Another tire you might consider is Nitto Terra Grappler -- it has a pretty loyal following. Not sure of the cost though, the Firestones may be cheaper.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a search nazi, but you probably will find good info by searching :).

That said, I have not owned Destination A/Ts but they are on my short list. Seems most guys are very happy with them. If you don't get enough info here, check out the boards at ToyotaNation. There are a lot of tire threads.

With your driving conditions, I would get LT rated tires for their better puncture protection. I would get load range C, but if the rocks are brutal you might want load range D. They'll ride a bit harder and may hurt fuel mileage a little, but they are tougher.

Another tire you might consider is Nitto Terra Grappler -- it has a pretty loyal following. Not sure of the cost though, the Firestones may be cheaper.
Thanks Splicer,
Rocks aren't brutal likethe Rubicon Trail near Lake Tahoe, just one section of the dirt is somewhat rocky. I drive it maybe twice a year, so I don't want to go too stiff for my street driving, and didn't know how much stiffer C tires will be. I also have to consider size, as I think the LTs only come in 265/75 R16, not the 265/70 R16 that the P rated come in.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Sounds like a LR-C would be about right for you -- tougher than P-metrics, but not too much heavier or stiffer. As to LT vs P, and 70 series vs 75, different brands have different options. You mentioned TireRack... they have some of the most extensive selections and best research tools I have found.

I'm not familiar with fitting 265/75-16s on your '99 Runner. Assuming they fit with no mods, it's a good thing -- only 1" taller, slight gain in ground clearance, and fills the wheelwells for a better look. Dunno how accurate your speedometer is, but the newer Tacomas typically read a few mph slow, so the taller tires usually make them read correctly.

Thanks Splicer,
Rocks aren't brutal likethe Rubicon Trail near Lake Tahoe, just one section of the dirt is somewhat rocky. I drive it maybe twice a year, so I don't want to go too stiff for my street driving, and didn't know how much stiffer C tires will be. I also have to consider size, as I think the LTs only come in 265/75 R16, not the 265/70 R16 that the P rated come in.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you guys think I will notice much difference in acceleration/low end going from a 70 series to a 75 (P265/70-R16 to a LT265/75-R16)?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It's only about a 3% increase in size (and just a few pounds heavier), which shouldn't make any significant difference unless you are already underpowered and/or geared too tall.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a stock '99 4Runner/V6 (no Hemi), and feels a little weak at times, though not terribly. I just hate losing much

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

The newer series of the ... "Michelin LTX AT2 "... are the best multi-purpose tires that I have ever owned ... rugged yet smooth on the road.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing I didn't think about...I was always a little annoyed with my old F-150 because my 31" tires threw off my speedo, and I never replaced the sending gear in the tranny. It wasn't a lot, only 5 mph, but for some reason it always bugged me. How much of a pain is it to recalibrate my automatic transmission's speedo sending unit?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts