Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ok, not to beat a dead horse, but I need to know which one is faster. My best bud has a titan crew 4x4 with cai and exhaust. I just put TRD cai on mine and a muffler here soon. He and I are bound to race at somepoint and everything I see on youtube is not very reassuring.
ALSO, I am new to this truck and a bit confused about the traction control. I know when I start the truck that it is automatically on, but when I hit the skid off button a light on my dash comes on that says autoLSD. Isn't that the same thing? If I hold the button down 3 seconds or whatever then it stays on along with skid/off light by tach.
I know these are rookie questions, but my old tundra didn't have this stuff so I am new to it. What is best way to drag race, with autoLSD?

·
Banned
444 Posts
If you got the 5.7. Your faster.. No its not the same thing. Just hold it down for 3 sec so you'll have that lsd on. If that don't work hold it 3 sec let off hold another 3 sec until trac, stability, and ALSD is off.

·
Registered
630 Posts
O'Yea :rolleyes:

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
A lot will depend on your tires. When you push the button once, it turns off your stability control. Basically what that does is cuts your engine power so that the spinning wheel and non spinning wheel can sync. Once you hit the button, that will no longer happen (which is a good thing if you are trying to go a quick as you can). The ALSD light comes on to let you know that you still have LSD (or at least the Tundra's version of it). If you push and hold the button, you will turn EVERYTHING off. Now you will have no unwanted brake action going on, but you will spin like mad with one wheel.

There are 2 ways to look at it. You definitely want that stability control off. You will probably have better traction if you leave the ALSD on, but the nanny will hold you back a bit. If you shut the whole show off there are NO restriction and if the traction is good, there will be nothing mechanically holding you back.

I usually shut everything off and pray for good traction :D.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The model years are different regarding how long and many times you push the traction control button. I have a 2010 and here is what I do. Push and hold the button for 3 seconds then push and hold again for another 3 seconds. That turns off as much as you can. You should beat him no problem, leave it in drive and dont turn on the tow/haul. Post after you race!

·
Registered
39 Posts
5.7 tundra should win hands down! I would almost bet that a crewmax 5.7 would beat a single cab 5.6 titan.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I frequent the track a lot with a bunch of titan guys. They take to light mods very well. Being that you are so much heavier than him, it will be a lot closer than a lot of people here think. Our trucks (or the ECU anyways) don't seem to respond as well to light mods. Hold the traction button for 5-6 seconds until all 3 lights light up (trac off, ALSD, and the squiggly lines). You should beat him by a length or two. But mess up even a little and he may make you pay.

How long is this "track" (so dumb we have to BS)? The longer the "track" the better for you as our dual VVT-i is better than their single VVT. Short distances will be tough because they put out just as much torque down low as we do. And he's a lot lighter.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I ate a Titan alive a couple months ago... I didn't have any nannies turned off. This was of course on a drag strip :heh:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot for your help on this. Sounds like even if I take the traction control off and leave the AutoLSD on, the truck will still slow itself down with wheel spin- that sucks! Soooo I will take the advice and turn everything off and hope for traction..
I just wish we had normal limited slip like my old tundra and could put the hammer down. Anyway, it's good to know I "should" beat him. The "track" is rather long, a quarter mile I think.
I raced a chevy 5.3 and left traction control on and he ate my lunch. Then, next run I turned it off, spun out kinda bad but smoked him.
I'll repost this thread after I race titan and let you know what happened.
thanks!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Who cares! You own a Tundra and he owns an ugly-ass, non-durable, Titan, you win no matter what!!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Well, don't forget your tires are gonna be veryyyyy heavy compared to stock. They'll make the race a lot closer than you'd think.

hope you still win, and definitely post back hte outcome.

Ah, and I'd probably put the ALSD on and powerbrake just a little bit then do the throttle dance to keep 'er going.

-rockstate

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I've found that if I'm gonna stomp on it from Zero, I have to feather it just a bit at first, then I open her up.... otherwise she has a tendency to spin (I usually drive with everything off - two 3-second presses). There's a place I drive by nearly every day on the way to, and back from work... where the road merges from two down-to one lane @ a stoplight. I've had lots of people try to pass me there - that's where I've fine-tuned my "launch" so to speak. And this truck really comes alive when you feather, then stomp on it. She surprises alot of people at that spot.

·
Registered
681 Posts
5.7 tundra should win hands down! I would almost bet that a crewmax 5.7 would beat a single cab 5.6 titan.
Single cab Titan??!! And we should all thank Nissan for the Titan...if not for them, we might not have the 5.7's. The standard 5.6 in the Titan kicked Tundra a$$ for 3 years before Toyota finally woke up and created the beast that is the 5.7!!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I posted this before:

Neighbor has the double cab 4x4 Titan.

I was VERY surprised he got me out of the hole but that very well could have been because it was not a very scientific start,

I slowly reeled him in and I was pulling him by a fender at about 100MPH.

My prediction will be Crew vs. Crew the margin of victory would be a tad larger for the Tundra, but it's certainly not going to be a slaughter like some may think.

That 60HP advantage gets eaten up pretty quickly by our heavier trucks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I raced a chevy 5.3 and left traction control on and he ate my lunch. Then, next run I turned it off, spun out kinda bad but smoked him.
I'll repost this thread after I race titan and let you know what happened.
thanks!
What motor do you have? My 4.7 walks all over 5.3 chevys and 5.4 fords without a problem.

Haven't ran a 5.7 Tundra or 5.6 Titan yet. Not too worried about it though... my tundra is for pulling my race car :D

·
Registered
984 Posts
Keep in mind the 315 hp titans put down 290 to the wheels while our 381 hp tundras put down around 310 to the wheels. So really it's only 20 hp difference plus they are lighter. What really helps us out is our 4:30 gearing (4:10 for us sport guys) and out superior transmissions. Plus like I said our dual VVT-i is alot better than their VVT. We pull a lot harder up top and trap about 3-5 mph faster.

A race from a dig might be close, a race from a roll you would pull him a lot more. Try both. Start from a dig, 30 mph and 60 mph. At the "track" that is....

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
What motor do you have? My 4.7 walks all over 5.3 chevys and 5.4 fords without a problem.

Haven't ran a 5.7 Tundra or 5.6 Titan yet. Not too worried about it though... my tundra is for pulling my race car :D
What does that Camaro run? :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts