Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
i heard its a big stink in congress because toyota doesn't have a union workforce in their us manufacturing facilities.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have to agree and disagree to this...
The fine: I have to disagree to the fine thats just ridiculous...in the end who gets the money? government motors? not the families since they will get squat after the so called lawyer fees etc.
Toyotas action: they should of done this long ago on the gas peddle recall even a member had a problem with it back in 07. I believe toyota got a big head when they started to manufacture here in the states. FJ cruiser had a fender bulge problem, but toyota was not hearing it untli some folks sued them and won, but stipulation was that the winner had to keep queit on the fender bulge and how much they won in the suit or what they got. You always here this and I believe this is what got them in trouble, "Its a toyota nothing can go wrong with it"

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
$16 million is nothing to TMC.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The fine: I have to disagree to the fine thats just ridiculous...in the end who gets the money? government motors? not the families since they will get squat after the so called lawyer fees etc.
Toyotas action: they should of done this long ago on the gas peddle recall even a member had a problem with it back in 07. I believe toyota got a big head when they started to manufacture here in the states. FJ cruiser had a fender bulge problem, but toyota was not hearing it untli some folks sued them and won, but stipulation was that the winner had to keep queit on the fender bulge and how much they won in the suit or what they got. You always here this and I believe this is what got them in trouble, "Its a toyota nothing can go wrong with it"
LOL One incident!!???!!! Seriously? That's your rationing for this? Hahahaha. Ah, the power of n=1. Can you imagine the headaches we'd go through if every time someone called up any car company and complained about something undesirable there was a recall?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
The fine: .....in the end who gets the money? government motors? not the families since they will get squat after the so called lawyer fees etc.
The proposed fine has nothing to do with compensation to any alleged victims. Our civil court system handles that.

Toyota will most likely settle out of court with seemingly legit victims and fight any cases that don't seem legit. Most legit Victims / Plaintiffs will ultimately be compensated, by Toyota, for their loss, trouble, pain, etc. For most cases, attorney fees will not deplete settlements or verdicts. That is, unless one is dumb enough to sign on to a class action suit. A limited number of the initial class action folks would be compensated, lawyers would make a killing and the other class action Plaintiffs would end up will something like a coupon for two free oil changes.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
The proposed fine has nothing to do with compensation to any alleged victims. Our civil court system handles that.

Toyota will most likely settle out of court with seemingly legit victims and fight any cases that don't seem legit. Most legit Victims / Plaintiffs will ultimately be compensated, by Toyota, for their loss, trouble, pain, etc. For most cases, attorney fees will not deplete settlements or verdicts. That is, unless one is dumb enough to sign on to a class action suit. A limited number of the initial class action folks would be compensated, lawyers would make a killing and the other class action Plaintiffs would end up will something like a coupon for two free oil changes.

Sad but true.

·
Registered
754 Posts
even if resulting in death? If your child or wife died..would you still care knowing that you didnt press on that gas pedal and it still went...ZOOM? I dont care about the recall it has to do with acting on the first incident...not incident(s) later....:cool:
LOL One incident!!???!!! Seriously? That's your rationing for this? Hahahaha. Ah, the power of n=1. Can you imagine the headaches we'd go through if every time someone called up any car company and complained about something undesirable there was a recall?

·
Registered
754 Posts

truely sad, but usueally true on the coupon for two free oil changes.....:mad:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
even if resulting in death? If your child or wife died..would you still care knowing that you didnt press on that gas pedal and it still went...ZOOM? I dont care about the recall it has to do with acting on the first incident...not incident(s) later....:cool:
Think about what you're saying. Think about it. How many Tundras are on the road right now? How many miles have they driven, cumulatively? How do you respond to a single complaint when everything else points to there not being a problem?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Think about what you're saying. Think about it. How many Tundras are on the road right now? How many miles have they driven, cumulatively? How do you respond to a single complaint when everything else points to there not being a problem?
I was under the assumption that there were at a minimum of 52 deaths and still counting. Obviously, none were related to you.:cheer2:

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
This is gooberment motors trying to get back some of there money invested in GM. Look at all of those 05-06 Chevy Cobalts that were just recently recalled when problems date back to 05. But what good would it do fining a company that you already own...it would be like giving yourself 75 cents on the dollar.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I was under the assumption that there were at a minimum of 52 deaths and still counting. Obviously, none were related to you.:cheer2:
With regards to just Tundras? I haven't heard of any events, other than the one mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
754 Posts
With regards to just Tundras? I haven't heard of any events, other than the one mentioned in this thread.
no tundras...we are the ones NOT EFFECTEd...tundra adrenalin explained this awhile back with the system used in the tundras are different than corollas and the tree huggers I mean prius vehicles.

·
Registered
754 Posts
This is gooberment motors trying to get back some of there money invested in GM. Look at all of those 05-06 Chevy Cobalts that were just recently recalled when problems date back to 05. But what good would it do fining a company that you already own...it would be like giving yourself 75 cents on the dollar.
dont forget the stupid crown victorias that blew up and killed some officers :mad: wonder how much money they got after sueing government motors.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I agree $16 Mil ain't squat to Toyota. My question is... If the accelerator peddle issue is so dangerous then why not require all vehicles within the affected years be parked until proof of repair can be produced by the owner? I can answer my own question which was rhetorical in nature anyway.

The problem seems limited to a few models. I think most American drivers are intelligent enough to place the transmission in neutral, push in the clutch, and/or turn off the key.

What was the ultimate outcome when Ford Pinto's were shown to have a design flaw and turned into a fireball in a rear end collision back in the 70's? Ford stopped making the Pinto.

It is sad that folks have died in run away cars made by Toyota. I do think the families should be compensated. If Toyota tried to hide known design flaws then the company should pay the price. Perhaps face a suspension of one year that no new Toyota vehicles can be sold in the US. That would be a fine of way more than $16 mil for sure. But like always politics must interfere and keep the machine rolling.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
no tundras...we are the ones NOT EFFECTEd...tundra adrenalin explained this awhile back with the system used in the tundras are different than corollas and the tree huggers I mean prius vehicles.
I had not heard that we are not affected. I'll have to look up Tundra Adrenaline's post. Honestly I've quit reading the "runaway" threads because I still think the people driving were at fault.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I had not heard that we are not affected. I'll have to look up Tundra Adrenaline's post. Honestly I've quit reading the "runaway" threads because I still think the people driving were at fault.
Seriously, who in their right frickin mind would take the time to call the police on the freeway when there's a problem with the car? You'd think if they had the time to do that, they could have figured out how to simply turn off the key.

The only incident i've read about the tundra's is the floor mats binding up the accelerator, so i haven't read anything on runaway tundra's.

·
Registered
754 Posts
initial sales figures for march figures are POSITIVE!! toyota is up 45% year over year for march sales figures...the recall didnt not hurt them and this fine will not hurt them either. Government motors couldnt stop toyota even after all the bad media....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts