Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a question of personal opinion, but I'm really torn about whether to remove the badging or not. I like the placement and boldness of them, but I also really like it clean and stealth(so to speak). Maybe I'll go halfway and color match them black. What are your thoughts?

with...

without...

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I know this is a question of personal opinion, but I'm really torn about whether to remove the badging or not. I like the placement and boldness of them, but I also really like it clean and stealth(so to speak). Maybe I'll color match them black. What are your thoughts?
i just want to get rid of that stupid iforce v8 badge...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I was planning to debadge, but mine came w/o the door emblems, so i just decided to leave everything else. I do like the color match idea though. Might paint the red surrounding the 5.7 to match the blue. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just want to get rid of that stupid iforce v8 badge...
I here ya'. If Toyota wanted a Texas sized belt buckle on the side, they couldv'e at least made it legible from more than a foot away, lol.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I know this is a question of personal opinion, but I'm really torn about whether to remove the badging or not. I like the placement and boldness of them, but I also really like it clean and stealth(so to speak). Maybe I'll color match them black. What are your thoughts?
My last Tundra was black and it looked smokin debadged. Had planned on removing decals and badges on my 07, but a little apprehensive as I have yet to find out what exact type of clear coat sealant was used by GST in my mysterious "luster shield" paint protectant. I have a friend thats a detailer, I am going to pay him to do it then have it custom pinstriped for about 75.00 -100.00

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I here ya'. If Toyota wanted a Texas sized belt buckle on the side, they couldv'e at least made it legible from more than a foot away, lol.
yea an i might take off the limited badges too... i dont know yet... i was debating whether or not i should let people know i financed 50k for a pickup truck..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have yet to find out what exact type of clear coat sealant was used by GST in my mysterious "luster shield" paint protectant.
was that a dealer add on?

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
I just completely de-badged my 07 DC Limited in Pyrite Mica. It was easier than I thought and looks awesome, however I did this so I could reinstall some custom badges which I obtained via an OEM emblem provider. Wash the truck first, then use waxed dental floss and Goo Gone. Take your time and you won't have any problems or scratches.

The letters I got were awesome and look sharp on the Tundra, just like factory, and they were easy to install. I removed the goofy iForce V8 badges and left that area blank. I replaced the "Tundra" badges with "Coyote" in size 3 chrome (large 3D), and the "Limited" badges with "Wile E." in size 2 chrome (medium italic).

I also installed two small custom black vinyl decals of Wile E. Coyote above the "Wile E." badges, and one larger decal on the tailgate above the "4x4" badge. It looks awesome, as if the vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Coyote, model Wile E. It has caused much confusion and a few grins on the highway, at parts stores, parking lots, garages, etc. I will post pics once I finish my other mods and wash the truck. I love this truck. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
was that a dealer add on?
Port added Gulf State Toyota feature that I have yet to get a staight answer other than it might be teflon based.

Nice job by the way, LOOKS KILLER!:tu:

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
I just completely de-badged my 07 DC Limited in Pyrite Mica. It was easier than I thought and looks awesome, however I did this so I could reinstall some custom badges which I obtained via an OEM emblem provider. Wash the truck first, then use waxed dental floss and Goo Gone. Take your time and you won't have any problems or scratches.
Some more install tips:

If you plan to replace the factory badges with other badges in a similar location, you should measure the location of the factory badges before removing them. I took some digital pics and also measured the distance from the corners of the emblems to the edges of the panels.

Once the old badges were removed, I laid out the new chrome emblems on my digital scanner and scanned them into my PC as an image. I then used a photo editor to cut each letter and move it around in the image so I could see how various letter spacing patterns looked. Once I had a pattern that I liked it was easy to make sure they were perfectly aligned and rotated, then I just printed out the edited image so now I had an actual-size template for how to space the letters on the truck.

Then I took a piece of wood about 3/4" x 1/2" x 14" (some scrap moulding which had a straight edge) and laid it on top of the printed image with the straight edge aligned with the bottom edge of the letters. I used an ink pen to mark the exact begining and end of each letter on the wood. For round letters like O or C I just used a carpenters square to mark the middle and sides. Then I aligned the wood against the side of the truck and measured to make sure it was level and in the exact place where the letters would go. Once in place I just used some wide masking tape to hold it there and then double checked the measurements.

With this done it was very easy to just set the new chrome emblems on the top edge of the wood to see how it looked, then adjust the location of the wood trim as needed. When ready I just peeled the backing off the new letters and stuck them in place carefully one at a time based on the markings on the wood trim. Remove the masking tape and wood trim piece when you are done and you have a perfectly spaced installation which looks factory. :tu:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice, I'd like to see some pics. ^ ^ ^

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Wile E, did you remove TRD bed stickers for your debadging?
I didn't get a TRD truck so no bed stickers to remove. There was a post on here about removing TRD labels a few weeks ago, try searching. I think they said it could be done but was difficult since they were under the clear coat or something like that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That guy's post was exactly the reason why I asked if you had done it as well.

I was curious if anyone else had the same experience with the paint when trying to remove those decals.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm looking forward to the pics too!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I like the badges....I would leave them on...:tu: Makes the truck look tuffer..:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I de-baged:tu:

I have a Slate DC Limited 4x4 with the 5.7. I did not want people knowing that I drive a loaded limited so taking that emblem off was an easy decesion. I also, in the first two weeks of driving, had tons of Dodge and Chev. trucks pull up beside me and see the "5.7" emblem on the front fender and all of the sudden it was a race. I grew tired of kicking their a-double-s's:D So after the first couple of tanks of gas I decided that had to stop, mainly for my gas budget.

In the end I took all emblems off, 5.7, Tundra, and Limited. I think that it looks really nice, the wife really likes it also. She at first tried to discourage me from doing it, but after they were off she agreed that it did look better.

So my vote, is of course, TO DE-BADGE!!:tu:

BTW: I used a hair dryer and a soft plastic spatula. Worked really well. Then clean and re-waxed. Total time to take both side off, about 30 min.

KF

1 - 20 of 30 Posts